The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dynamite

I have several friends who SWEAR by these products, almost to the point of being like a cult. I've looked into them but they're super expensive. Does anyone know if they're worth the money/hype?

I have an older gelding who gets a little stiff and could probably benefit from a product like Free & Easy. Would I be better off just buying a cheap generic product from TSC? He had been on Corta-Flex and adequan during his working years but now he's mostly retired.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I dropped you a PM with some info.

My friend/trainer swears by their products.

OP, going by the two other replies you've received, the veil of secrecy seemingly remains firmly in place.

I had a similar experience, where the horseperson I was talking to insinuated Dynamite into the conversation we were having about some horse-health issue. It was strange. And given the other whisper-y conversations other people have mentioned, until Dynamite is less faux "word-of-mouth" in its marketing, I stay away. There are lots of good supps out there.

3 members found this post helpful.

There is no veil of secrecy. Those of us who are distributors have gotten bashed up and down in the past for "advertising" every time we speak of the product or recommend a particular product. We're tired of it.

That said, I'll say that just like everything else, Dynamite is a brand, and there are many products. Not all of them are remotely suitable for every horse. "Worth it" is very subjective. If you want products with ingredients made in the US and are either organic (by label) or all but organic (just not labeled) and manufactured in chemical-free warehouses, then they may well be worth it. I've used a great many of the products, and not all were worth it for me. There are some I'll just never be without - very much worth it for me.

Yes, there are some really wiggy pushy cultish distributors out there - just stay away from them because they will cause you nothing but grief. But the same can be said for anyone who gets so ingrained in particular brand that they think you should be reported to the ASPCA if you aren't using those products

The better discussion is - which product might you be interested in, and for what reason.

1 members found this post helpful.

In my OP I mentioned that I was looking at something like Free & Easy for an older, creaky-ish gelding.

I just hesitate because I have a group of friends who try to pressure me into using it by basically saying that my horse isn't healthy because I don't feed him Dynamite. They try to guilt me into it. I've seen pictures of their horses before and after using the product and they look good but it doesn't seem like a miracle cure. My horse looks good too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it's really an excellent product, I'm willing to try it. I've just been really put off my the "marketing" of some, both distributors and customers.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Ah, you did, sorry - I got too focused in the secrecy comment

As for the F&E - it's like any other feed-through out there. It's a wonderful product for some horses, doesn't do anything for others, and the only way to find out which is which for you, is to try, unfortunately. I'm absolutely not going to sit here and tell you it's the best joint supplement out there because that is not going to be the case for every horse.

I totally get being put off by some of the folks involved - makes me cringe because it gives the whole brand a bad image, then some people automatically turn away just on name alone.

It IS a good product. But only your horse can tell you if it's good for him

Any product marketed the way these products are marketed (MLM) is going to get you in the company of some crazy people, and some people who are just trying to sell-sell-sell to meet quotas/goals. People who jump on the MLM bandwagon with both feet are often nuts anyway. Or lacking in judgment. IME.

Doesn't mean the products are bad, but it can be harder to sort fact from fiction. Not sure they're worth it, myself, and I am not a "supplement" person in general but JB uses it and I trust JB, so if I had any questions that's where I'd go for an answer.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks DW! Trust me, I'm quick to turn people away from a product I don't think is worth it, either in general, or for that situation.

i can understand where some people get the cult vibe from when it comes to Dynamite. i use it, my horses get it, and i like it. is it a miracle product? no. but i'm not sure anything really is either. i use it because i like knowing how the products are made, that they're clean and made in this country. both my fiance and i are healthier (imo of course) taking the human vitamins and i really do like how my horses are on them. is Dynamite the ONLY product i use for me or them? no. but it's a good base, imo.

Just don't read the information on the website too closely. Your eyeballs will melt if you are scientifically literate and have a skeptical outlook. Stick strictly with the lists of ingredients, and go from there. By FAR the smartest way to shop for supplements, anyway.
    Click here before you buy.

i'm not a distributor for dynamite

i use some of their products along with others from other companies. i use the f&e and think it's a wonderful product. i also use the regular dynamite. it's worth a try and if you don't like it, then you aren't required to keep using it. it may take a couple months to see a total difference though.
    be kind to your horses mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Just don't read the information on the website too closely. Your eyeballs will melt if you are scientifically literate and have a skeptical outlook. Stick strictly with the lists of ingredients, and go from there. By FAR the smartest way to shop for supplements, anyway.

Agreed - doesn't matter whose brand. Learn ingredients, understand what they do. Don't be fooled by the hype of "omg we have THIS ingredient and THIS ingredient is proven to cure THAT!" when "this" ingredient is in such minute amounts in the product it might as well not be there. Happens alllll over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Agreed - doesn't matter whose brand. Learn ingredients, understand what they do. Don't be fooled by the hype of "omg we have THIS ingredient and THIS ingredient is proven to cure THAT!" when "this" ingredient is in such minute amounts in the product it might as well not be there. Happens alllll over the place.
    Yes, BUT - just because an ingredient is listed on the label doesn't mean that it's actually included in the amount listed...or even included at all. Unless the manufacturer is willing to provide actual ingredient analysis which has been independently verified, there is no way to tell.

There was a study on joint supplements several years ago (Oke et al., Equine Vet J. 2006 Jan;38(1):93-5) which evaluated 23 commercially available joint supplements and found that 40% of them did not actually contain what the label said.

Even a seal by the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) does not guarantee ingredients, simply that the company has a way to consistently manufacture it's products...with whatever it chooses to put inside.

Moral of the story: buyer beware!
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Someone from that group of friends here I don't know if you remember how lame S got, but I tried F&E on him and *nothing*. I put him on a lot of their products, tried everything suggested, and zero difference. My dogs did super well on their product, jaxon has been growth free since going on SOD, so who knows.

As with any other product, it works on some, doesn't work on others. Iz did brilliantly on BL solution, and I still tell the girls at my barn who use bute frequently to use it. S now gets monthly pentosan shots and MSM.

PS: Alamo pintado said the most important thing you can do, aside from supplements, is walking. At LEAST 10 minute pre ride, and after too. On days off or if I'm lazy, he just gets thrown on a lunge and we super boredly walk around. So boring, but important.