The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan - unavailable?

My vet has just informed me there is a manufacturer shortage of Adequan. I see it's unavailable online. Anyone know why or how long this may last?

Any thoughts on what I should do for my pooch? He's a 16yr old lab mix who's been receiving injections monthly. I read on another thread that Adequan actually recommends a loading dose 2x/yr rather than the monthly dose most vets seem to be doing, so I could just wager it will be available again in a few months and switch to that schedule. Anyone do it that way?

Open to ideas...
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

I work in a vet clinic and this is a huge issue for us. We have been informed that there is only ONE plant in the US that makes Adequan and it is closing for repairs and upgrades for an unknown length of time. This means that ALL Adequan is going to be in very short supply, for horses, dogs and people. We have not really been able to find a substitute. We have a lot of patients who are on Adequan currently as a way of putting off euthanasia, because its worked so many miracles for us, so this is a concern. I would keep checking with your vet at this point for the most up to date information.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ichon.

or pentosan.

Can you get an Rx for it from your vet and call around to more rural clinics/practices--even out of state to get a supply?

I have not heard of a shortage (yet) but we tend to stock quite a bit at our clinic so it may be that we've just not needed to order yet which is why it hasn't come up.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thanks for the info, Sillypony, although it's a little disheartening. I think I may try clinics in other areas. Sounds like some don't even know there's a problem yet...

What are the issues with compounding this? I know of at least one horse vet who did it for someone not long ago.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

As far as how often. My vet suggested we spread out the shots until we found the right frequency for our dog.

My dog did best on every three weeks.

I'm in the DC metro area near BuddyRoo and have friends impacted by the shortage. Online or otherwise.

OP, if you have a script already, PM me and maybe I can get some out to you from our clinic. I'm not sure what our clinic policy is on that as I'm new to the place, but I'd be happy to check and I work tomorrow morning.

OP, I checked and we are not able to operate as a pharmacy for non-clients and we only have a few vials left. Had no idea!

Sorry that I can't be of help.

The flag went up on this in May, at the time they said that 5ml would be available in July and 50ml in August. Adequan.com doesn't have anything new. Our small animal vets didn't know anything about it at the time, however, my friend bought the last bottle from the equine vet back in May Alot of the online places were already out of it by then. Would definitely keep checking around to small practices. Good Luck.