The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    Seems like it was a tough course, handful of horses and riders down.. P’tite Bombe euthanized..

I love eventing. I love the sport, the challenge, the people, the camaraderie that I can't find in any other equine sport. I marvel at the upper level competitors. I don't love the danger at the upper levels. I can't watch anymore. I don't want to see a horse or rider seriously injured or killed, and it isn't uncommon. IMO the protest from animal rights activists is justified. They don't understand the ins-and-outs of the sport, or how crushing it is to competitors to lose a horse, but the risk to the horses is great. I wish we could make things safer.

Sigh
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I didn't see the course or the fall, but unfortunately after a series of good courses (many designed by Derek Degrazia) with no fence related serious horse injuries, I was not surprised to see Mark Phillips name as course designer on this one, as soon as I heard there had been a horse death.

Organizers: STOP hiring him design courses! There are better (and safer) course designers out there and his name has been associated with way too many accidents to be coincidence.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    I didn't see the course or the fall, but unfortunately after a series of good courses (many designed by Derek Degrazia) with no fence related serious horse injuries, I was not surprised to see Mark Phillips name as course designer on this one, as soon as I heard there had been a horse death.

Organizers: STOP hiring him design courses! There are better (and safer) course designers out there and his name has been associated with way too many accidents to be coincidence.
    ^^^ indeed! Just look at the stats. It's so easy to see and it has nothing to do, or little to do with difficulty.

1 members found this post helpful.

Has there been a cause of death for the horse that died? If not, we need to hold off on blame, just yet.

It isn't about assigning blame for one incident, but about a pattern over time. Other designers are able to create courses that test horse and rider to separate the best pair from the rest, without a trail of serious injury and deaths.

4 members found this post helpful.

A special day for Ireland at 4* Luhmuhlen ...two Traditional Irish breds 1st and 2nd ..... Mr Cruise Control (77% TB & 22% ID - Cruising out of a TB mare) & High Kingdom (93.75% TB & 6.25% ID - Master Imp out of a Chair Lift mare). These two Irish horses had almost two fences in hand over the rest of the field, which itself is now a rarity in these hotly contested modern major competitions .......

This is another extraordinary testament to the quality of Irish event horses. And yes I am dancing on air because I bred High Kingdom, and am standing his full brother Jackaroo and have frozen semen in the USA now at http://www.shelbournefarm.com/. I hope High Kingdom's success persuades a few more breeders to consider Jackaroo but especially riders to consider Traditional Irish horses.
    www.WilliamMicklem.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    Has there been a cause of death for the horse that died? If not, we need to hold off on blame, just yet.
    Sounds like the horse broke her neck in the fall. So sad. A very pretty homebred Anglo-Arab, and their first four star.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

And New Zealand OTTB Clifton Pinot (Walliker) was fifth, with WFP third and fourth.

Congratulations to Ireland!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

You can find some photos from Luhmuhlen 2013 on my website:

http://eventing-art.com/luhmuhlen-2013/

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    Seems like it was a tough course, handful of horses and riders down.. P’tite Bombe euthanized..
    oh no! So sad
    I was away all weekend and didn't get to watch any of it.