The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hock Injection vs Pentosan. Questions to ask vet?

Hopefully this won't become a novel Before anyone asks I do have a call into my vet, but I would love to hear from you guys.

Fact: This horse is a total fuss face and will let you know if all isn't right in her world. Stoicism is not in her vocabulary

When I purchased my mare last year (March 2012) the PPE revealed a very small bone spur on each hock. At that time, the mare flexed cleanly and my vet could not find anything on her that hurt. The mare had xrays done 2 years before I purchased and we were able to see that there were no changes to the hocks at that time. The vet was not at all worried by the spurs due to size and location but did say that we could inject at anytime when/if I felt like the mare needed it.

Its been a year and my girl is going better and better. She is now 11 and has not had any injections. She had some stifle issues over the winter due to too much time off and that seems to have been remedied with hill work and cavalletti. We are working on training level/first level dressage with small jumps (I hope to compete at a few BN CT's and HT's this year), thrown in for fun. I have no intentions in jumping anything over 3' and would be perfectly happy to compete and putz around training/first level. She seemed just slightly stabby in her right hind and needed encouragement to engage her hind end in my lesson last night. Not off, and happily working so no big deal. Right?

Hock injections have been at the back of my mind since the original PPE. Like everyone else out there, I am on a budget but will do what is needed to keep my horse happily working. She see's the Chiro on a regular basis and has two well fitting saddles that get adjusted when needed.

Should I call the vet and have the mare looked over and xrayed? Should I leave everything alone until she really tells me its time for more support? My one reason for wondering about Pentosan or Adequan is that what if there is stiffness or inflammation somewhere else besides the hocks? Again, I would think we would know it as this mare is not at all stoic....but what if?

Again, the mare is working quite happily and I don't want to spend excess money, but I want her to stay happy.

Would you go to the vet? Wait and see? Thanks for the input. I'm such a worrier and want to keep this horse sound and in work.

These are questions to ask yourself, before you call the vet: what are your plans for summer and fall with her? do you have shows you particularly want to go to? clinics? any big goals, events, entry fees, or other expenses? does your car need tires before winter? :-) Sometimes the extra push we make in getting ready for something important is enough to put the on-the-borderline-but-ok horse over the line into the "mom, my hocks hurt and I think I'll dump you in front of this jump" horse. Alternatively, sometimes they will suck it up or slowly fall apart right up until the day after you can cancel without a refund, and then you have a vet bill and a lost entry fee at the same time. And if you have any big non-horse expenses coming up, that guarantees that the horse will fall apart at the same time. So either buy the tires or the Pentosan now!

Good Answer! I actually just got a new car so I wouldn't have to buy those new tires AND new brakes.

Over analyzing and being a worrier are my greatest skills So I worry that I'm being overly cautious, but you're right....I don't want a vet bill, lost entry fee, or an unhappy horse because I waited.

So, do we go to the vet and do a full exam and flex all joints before going straight to hock injections instead of the pentosan/adequan route?

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Good Answer! I actually just got a new car so I wouldn't have to buy those new tires AND new brakes.

Over analyzing and being a worrier are my greatest skills So I worry that I'm being overly cautious, but you're right....I don't want a vet bill, lost entry fee, or an unhappy horse because I waited.

So, do we go to the vet and do a full exam and flex all joints before going straight to hock injections instead of the pentosan/adequan route?
    Most vets are probably going to insist on a full exam before either injecting or prescribing something
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Some vets will want to do X rays before they inject a joint and I imagine that most all would want to do at least flexions before they inject. My vet had me do bute and a week of rest then riding while on bute to see if there was a change with bute, then he came out and watched my horse lunge and did flexions before injecting her hocks without doing X rays.

Vets familiar with you, your horse, and your care practices may perscribe adequan or pentosan without an exam.

Once you inject, you can't go back and undo it. So you can watch closely and see if she seems a bit NQR, but still working willingly. Then talk to the vet. If she just seemed a bit stiff or slightly reluctant, I would do Pentosan. Either compounded or PentAussie. We do PentAussie, because that's what my vet is comfortable with. Yes, its a bit more for me, but its not breaking the bank. I've done Adequan...nothing. I do legend, but I just don't see any payoff any more from legend. I do see a payoff from PentAussie, but not as much anymore. I've done regular injections to the hock and IRAP to the stifles. He's stoic, but when he is uncomfortable it changes his gait so much that its just crap. Too bad that I just can't keep him comfortable anymore.

If what she is doing is very subtle, then a lameness exam and Pentosan would be my choice. Most vets are going to want to do a lameness exam before prescribing unless they have a working relationship with you.

2 members found this post helpful.

You may want to try doing the loading dose of Adequan. That's 7 doses, given once every 4 days. This is the route I decided to take with my filly, as I did not want to start injecting a 3 year old. She got her first dose today, so we shall see!

For anyone who has not seen results with Adequan, you may want to read this:

http://useventing.com/news/challenge...ve-performance

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    You may want to try doing the loading dose of Adequan. That's 7 doses, given once every 4 days. This is the route I decided to take with my filly, as I did not want to start injecting a 3 year old. She got her first dose today, so we shall see!

For anyone who has not seen results with Adequan, you may want to read this:

http://useventing.com/news/challenge...ve-performance
    I have to point out that USEA has Adequan as a sponsor and that article had a link to Adequan's home page. It was not disclosed if the riders received financial support from the company to make those statements.

1 members found this post helpful.