The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My dog is going to be a star!

My Irish Wolfhound, Toula, was spotted while we were out walking a couple of weeks ago, and we were approached about being involved in the musical put on this summer by the local opera company.

After some initial consultations, and thought processes , we met with some cast and crew last night, and she's in!

The musical is Camelot, and she will play Horrid the Dog. Funny, as it's the last thing anyone would call her, of course!

It's a serious production, although the opera company is local, they are internationally known, with outstanding reviews.

You never know how your summer is going to go!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

PS Also asked if they needed any horses , but they did 'Annie Get Your Gun' a few years ago.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

2 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations! Break a leg, Toula! She is absolutely beautiful, CVPeg, and she looks quite sweet as well.

Default She's lovely

I'm sure by the end of the production, she'll have her own fan club. Our beloved Corgi, Miles, was the star of our commercials. He got recognized everywhere we went, and usually good for a chicken strip for him at KFC.
    I miss him every day.
    Have fun.

1 members found this post helpful.

she is beautiful..........and congrats on her gig......but try as I might, I cannot recall a dog, Horrid, doing anything significant in Camelot, live production, musical, or otherwise.......
    with a name like that, the dog must belong to Mordred.......

but DO TELL, what is she destined to do.........?? obviously, she will serve as a gorgeous prop in any scene....I am just wondering if this version of Camelot developed a special version to include a dog.....
    you MUST get videos!!.that would be so cool!

Congrats!! I am sure Toula will be the star of the show!!

That's so cool! Time to get her an agent. First the stage, then the big screen!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I've seen Richard Harris in the Broadway touring co. and recently Virginia Opera's, plus films of stage versions, and didn't remember a dog -- but looked it up the part on youtube. Very cool! Lovely dog and hopefully what will be a very fun and rewarding experience for you both. And yeah, get that agent!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Oh, she is beautiful! Lovely dark eyes and such a wonderful expression!

Wolfhounds are very good at giving a nice historical atmosphere to anything that involves castles!

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I had never heard of "Horrid" either, and had to Google to find references. But King Pellinore brings his dog on stage with him when he enters, after they all sing "The Lusty Month of May". The dog is supposed to be next to him, while Pellinore makes several comments and inquiries.

Somewhere I found it mentioned that when some versions became more seriously centered, they removed the "role". But this company has chosen to go back to the old version and include it.

When they first saw her, I apologized for her appearance, since she needed a bath, and they said "that's ok - the dog is supposed to look "horrid".

They also said all she'd have to do is walk on. Now they're hoping she can lie down on command. Well, my Labbies would do that, but Toula has a mind of her own, and often takes some begging on her owner's part. So we'll be doing some practice, and probably seek out some help with training. But they also assured it didn't matter. She ultimately could still "just stand there".

I'll be interested to see how she reacts to the whole big production thing - all the lights, music, costumes. Hope she doesn't howl!
    Last edited by CVPeg; Jun. 13, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correct song name!

What a beautiful dog! I've been to Glimmerglass once, and would LOVE to return, when I have more time and money than I have right now!

Congrats and she is a gorgeous girl!

P.

That is super exciting. Maybe I'll go, just to see Toula!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    That is super exciting. Maybe I'll go, just to see Toula!
    Well, I'll have to be there for every performance, so we'll see if we can get you backstage! (Although I may be getting a little presumptuous to assume I can...)

Congratulations! What a beautiful dog. I hope you both have a great time with the production.

Very cool!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Fun! For giggles, take a head shot and a body shot and make her an actor's resume. You never know when your inner stage mom will want to express itself

Original Poster

Well, it's opening night for Toula!!

We've been to rehearsals throughout the past month, and I can't say it has been perfect, but they seem to love her.

She would refuse to stay onstage, and would come looking for me, no matter how hard we tried. I tried to implore them to have the actor playing her companion, King Pellinore, spend more time with her so that she'd relaxed with him. But what has evolved is that now I am onstage , dressed like a man of the Court. I even have a line! And have my father's eyebrows painted on me now as well. Dear friend's hunt boots (mine all long gone) have come in handy!

However, this is a highly touted professional company (NYTimes loves them...), and it is nerve wracking to be on the stage next to the others. Let alone close up to certain individuals.

I frankly hadn't been keyed into opera stars in recent years, but when looking up the principals in this production, then watching videos online, yup - they're wonderful! (And sing well, too. )

So heard a story from another the other day about the unexpected commentary pets will make on stage. Ran into someone in town who saw the dress rehearsal the other night, and they said Toula yawned during the discussion about paying homage to King Arthur.

I have been panicking - since just ahead of being taken onstage during dress rehearsal, she really planted her feet. I've tried to entice her response to her stage name with steak treats, but onstage with lights and audience a bit of a distraction...

I just hope I won't regret having done this!!

Although the cast and crew have been wonderful to work with, and she is a favorite. And their efforts into this, and the other 3 operas they are presenting simultaneously throughout the summer are astonishing (wears me out just watching all the hard work!)

Just crossing fingers that, in the end, this will have been a worthwhile experience. Certainly has been a twist on our summer!!

And, confess it, under all the fear and excitement, you're having a ball. No luck getting anyone to drive down with me so make sure you get pictures of everything!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    And, confess it, under all the fear and excitement, you're having a ball. No luck getting anyone to drive down with me so make sure you get pictures of everything!
    Well, maybe towards the end of the summer? The production runs until August 23rd. Would love it if you can make it, Louise. Have some Syracuse area friends coming, but not sure what dates yet...

Hoping there will be some "official" production pics, and if so, will share them here.