The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Collapses From High Storm Winds. 9 Horses Trapped and Rescued. News Video.

Amazing they got those horses out judging from the news video.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...211372121.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thanks for sharing the video clip! We are discussing this on the Technical Large Animal Emergency Rescue FB page; I will share this out.

so i guess this is one answer to "in or out?" in a storm...

so am i missing it or does it says what happened to the tenth horse?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    so i guess this is one answer to "in or out?" in a storm...

so am i missing it or does it says what happened to the tenth horse?
    I'm not sure I agree. If there was a large pasture available, then yes, they might have been able to get out of the way. But if they were in paddocks do you think they would have escaped without a scratch? The article said, "A trail of debris was seen Thursday morning scattered for hundreds of yards from the barn in Manteno."

A horse named Brownie was killed in the barn collapse .

Quote Originally Posted by downen View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. If there was a large pasture available, then yes, they might have been able to get out of the way. But if they were in paddocks do you think they would have escaped without a scratch? The article said, "A trail of debris was seen Thursday morning scattered for hundreds of yards from the barn in Manteno."
    note i said "one" answer, not "the" answer. sure, they can be injured or killed by flying debris, but i would think the chances of being killed by a building falling on them would be higher. of course, much depends on the building. i don't claim to have an answer to the issue.

thanks, wayne.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I will still take my chances with the barn rather than risk flying debris, downed power lines, broken fences, and lightning strikes. How many times do you actually hear of barns collapsing in the grand scheme of things? I think the number is far less than the number of horses injured from being turned out.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

3 members found this post helpful.

In an surprising turn of events, I just saw this information pop up on two separate-yet-related Illinois horse forums; does anyone else in IL have more info?
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    There is an open investigation w Kankakee Co Animal Control as well as multiple Humane/Rescue groups for abuse and neglect of the ponies because of the state and condition they were found in. Sad. The living conditions were disgusting!

I was wondering why the pony looked so thin. Full mane and ribby so it wasn't due to a baby growing quickly. Sadly, I'm not surprised. Makes me wonder if the barn was a piece of carp rather than just the fact that they had high winds.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

According to the news interview with the owner they were show hackneys.

Amazing story. They've had some terrible storms up there this spring and one strong gust or down-draft of wind could have been all it took to collapse the barn. I'm sure the owner never would have put the horses in there if she thought it couldn't stand up to a wind-storm.

To go along with the in or out debate, I live in MA where tornados are very rare but structures do need to be strong enough to withstand the winter. Well, two summers ago we did get a tornado.

One farm affected withstood the tornado pretty well, horses were in. The roof was ripped off but it was a heck of a lot safer than the horses being outside because the farm had many, many trees and other debris that could have easily killed the horses. Winds are no joke, they can move cars without a problem. So that farm had no injured horses because they were all inside a sturdy, mostly concrete and aluminum structure.

Two smaller barns were not so fortunate. One barn was mostly destroyed but the horses were in it, again because of the tree issue. Every. Single. Tree. was either broken in half or ripped out of the ground. I mean every single one. So, those horses were okay. The barn was mostly wood but fairly new so they were safe inside.

Another small barn left their horses out because they didn't feel their barn was safe enough. One horse survived without a scratch. One died instantly because a trailer flew and hit his head. One suffered massive leg injuries but thanks mostly to donations, recovered completely from surgery at Tufts.

Thankfully my mare was a mile away from the path. But really, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, it all depends on the situation and the structures around. And there was absolutely no time to get any horse in a trailer and leave... We had very little time to prepare. Most people in MA don't pay much attention to tornado warnings, and once it did touch down in Springfield and start making it's way to us it was just too late. You got in your basement and listened to the news.

No question ours would be outside where they are now. We have big, open pastures with mature trees and far from power lines. However, I wouldn't have left them out at several places I boarded in the past. What would make me want them in paddocks or barns (assuming the barn is well-built) would be things like electric fencing (power outage = loose horses), power lines next to or through the pastures (electrocution if they go down), low pastures that flood (drowning, stuck in the mud), many young trees in the pasture (blow down hazards and fence hazards), and if there is a lot of debris on nearby properties.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran