The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bumps in girth area

This is more of a have you ever seen question...

My 19 year old gelding has always had these bumps on his side where the girth goes. There are about the size of a nickle and are very fluid. They don't bother him at all but I have never seen them before on anyother horse. They are basically like wind puffs/galls but obviously not because they only develop on legs. Out of curiosity, has anyone else seen this?

Hmm....I wonder is they are hives, and he is allergic to your girth, or something you clean or condition your girth with. If you ride in a leather girth, perhaps try a fabric/fleece one, or vice versa.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

He has had them since I got him in '09. They are there ALL the time, even in the winter when he gets is 2-3 month break. I researched it when I first got him but found nothing. I was just thinking about it today as I was researching something else. It's no issue, never has been. I keep meaning to ask the vet when they are out but it always slips my mind. It seems to be a "blemish" as they haven't grown and no more have popped up in the last 3 and half years. Just wondering if its common or just something else to add to his long list of oddities.

My 20 year old thoroughbred gelding has several of these. Don't seem to bother him. The chiro always grabs them and is surprised how fluid they are because they look more like giant bug bites or hives, but not... Mine also has swelling along what seem like tendons in that area. He does hate anatomic shaped girths, FWIW. Anyway, has had them for years.

Same! I can push, poke whatever on them and no reaction from him. And he is very sensitive to pain so I feel like if they were painful he would just drop dead with a girth on. They are like jelly. I've just never noticed on any other horse before.

I have a horse with bumps on his girth area. My vet guesses they are some sort of cysts but isn't concerned. The horse isn't bothered, and they don't go away when he's out of work. He's a bit of a drama queen, so it would be obvious if they were uncomfortable. I do notice a fluctuation in the size of the bumps (but not number) based on girth material. They are smallest when he's wearing a plain leather girth -- my favorite cheapo fuzzy girths make them worse.

My 23 yr old TB gelding has them - maybe 8 on the underside where girth goes. They have been there for the 8 yrs I've owned him, and no vet either here in Fla or back up north has ever done anything other than note that they were there. Soft, do not bother him, do not change, have used several types of girths.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I use the professional choice girths with the neoprene, which has not caused any issues. Thanks for the thoughts!