The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation EHV-1 at Woodbine

Barns 1 and 3 are under quarantine. http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...trictions.html

Seeing as how the OP was yesterday and there doesn't appear to be as much interest south of the boarder, I need some help finding out some info.....

I have a friend who is scheduled to ship her 2 horses home to Texas on July 1st. Her flight's are booked and Shipping arranged and a whole lot of other arrangements confirmed as she is also moving the contents of her home. We have checked the CFIA and USDA websites and also arranged all the paperwork for the horses to export. The horses are stabled at a private farm that has no connection to racing at all. Should we worry about the possibility of the boarder closing due to the EHV-1 outbreak at Woodbine? The track is about an hour from her farm but the horses would be crossing at an Ontario crossing. If this were to happen where would we find that info? CFIA and UDSA have no info on EHV-1 that I could find.

I would not worry. Only two barns are under QT. No other horse movements are restricted in Ontario.
    There have been outbreaks in the US, and horses could still move around the country! If she is not taking the horses to a track, as long as all the paperwork and medical records are in order, the horses will be fine!

Maryland race tracks have stopped accepting horses from Canada for the time being. I don't know enough about crossing borders to comment on that part but will say that generally speaking it stays restricted to race tracks when the outbreak is on a race track.

From what I understand EVH-1 is not an issue with border crossing. If it were, there would have been a lot of stranded horses after the outbreak in Ocala
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Was talking little with our vet yesterday, he does track work at Fort Erie - he mentioned that some horsesmay have issues crossing the border as the health papers include a declaration that the horse hasn't been exposed to communicable diseases within a certain amount of time (60 days, I think).

I would imagine if your horse hasn't been exposed, and your vet has signed the declaration, there should be minimal problems.
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

this came across my FB page. Don't know if you can read it though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Thank you everyone. I think my friend has all her ducks in a row. She got railroaded when she was bringing them up here by a tick test and had to board her horses for 30 day's at the border.Something her vet in Texas failed to look into. She cant risk anything holding them up as she's not able to drive with them this time. Hopefully nothing changes between now and July 1st!