The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Lessons: Addictive?

My (gaited) horse and I have been taking some dressage lessons the past couple of weeks to prepare for a mounted police competition that has a dressage test as one of the events. It seems like the more lessons I take the more I crave them. What's up with that ?

Is dressage addictive?

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Yes, yes it is.

Wait until you experience the absolute high of the elusive half halt. The addiction spreads across all types!!

Dressage can certainly be addictive in that you want to keep learning, keep feeling, and keep progressing because it's such a high. Lessons can be addictive, too, because for many people that's where the breakthroughs, the "aha!" moments, and sometimes even the most fun happen.

Welcome to the CoTH dressage forum, the best dressage addiction support (and enabling, lol) group around.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

It's fun learning not only the how but also the why.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

YES IT IS! I look forward to every lesson because I know my trainer is going to kick our butts into shape and we will come out better for it! I can only image it is the high people who love going to the gym get.

ENJOY!!!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Dressage is, or should be, about the complete partnership of horse and rider. Being that both are thinking and ever changing beings, the learning curve is never ending! Yes, it's addictive! And from what I've found, there is no 12 step program for it!

Yes I am always amazed how little things I do can make such a big impact in the way the horse reacts & moves. No matter what discipline people ride, it really teaches you how your body impacts your horse
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I think so for myself for all the above reasons. Then, my granddaughter Tasha who is 13 and was taking H/J as a beginner got a free lesson from my trainer as a thanks for helping Nana (me) do some barn work before I left town in March and moved. Come to find out, after I left town, Tasha took it upon herself to call my trainer and work out a work for lessons deal because she Looooovvved dressage so much - also helps that my trainer is such a positive, encouraging type you feel so good learning from her. However, my Gdaughter is now a dressage lover, and reading about it and talking about it and she is now is leg yielding as well as mastering bend and various patterns (these are her first lessons off the longe line, so she started in march as an uber beginner).

She works three evenings a week for one lesson on a great level three trained dressage pony and calls me up to discuss what she's learning. Yes, I'm proud of her, but I also recongnize that "addiction" in her too. She also has her dad paying for her H/J lessons (she's starting cross rails!) , so is doing this work in order to add dressage to the mix with a great trainer they couldn't afford to pay for. Pretty motivated, and she wouold probably agree with the disucssion about 'addiction', and a nice way to build a foundation as a rider, I think.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by runnyjump View Post
    Yes, it's addictive! And from what I've found, there is no 12 step program for it!
    Wait, yes there is, its a 7-step program, level I, Level II, Level III, etc. shows, I mean "meetings" held in everyone's area many times a year.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Yes!!! If you think lessons are addictive, wait until you start going to shows. Takes it to a whole 'nother level.

the amazing thing is how mental it is. That is, after you have gotten your body under control.
    Taking it day by day!

Well, I jumped off the dressage wagon recently... It *is* addictive, but it is also dangerous to certain personality types. This is not to say that I am "done" with it, but the really intense focus turned out to be just another way to beat myself up, so I'm on a break and having some really *fun* and useful rides instead.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

YES

Thanks all for confirming that I'm not alone in this! What I am finding so satisfying are those moments when we feel incredibly balanced. I know we are just cantering a circle, or even trotting along the rail, but when we are doing it correctly it feels...well...lovely. It's even more special because this time last year my horse was just beginning to canter in the arena, and this year he is cantering beautifully in a 20m circle.

I'm so looking forward to learning more and see where my horse can go with it. He seems to enjoy it almost as much as I do.