The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have good luck with Title Nine Sports, they are all about putting the appropriate sports bras on the right ladies.
    http://www.titlenine.com/

I find that riding is as high-impact as it gets. I'm a 34DD or thereabouts.

I've tried several different bras, they are not cheap but they do have a very good return policy. I end up buying several different bras, in a few sizes (as recommended by the helpful sales staff), charge it all on the credit card, and send the 'wrong' ones back, and get more of the 'right' ones. It takes some time and runs your credit card balance for a few weeks, but it's worth it.

I gave up on sports bras as I'm short from shoulder to boob so now use those minimizer bras. I too also agree with the getting measured, found out I was in too big of a bra size wise but had to go up a cup size at the same time! Made all the difference in the world as everything feels much better and more secure! Sadly though, a lot of riding wear (especially the new jackets) are aimed at those with no figure and that's another obsticle to overcome!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by karasha View Post
    Ok, I really hope this doesn't get too personal, nor I mean no offense...

Have you ever considered you perhaps are wearing the wrong size bra? I use to slouch a lot and feel unsupported when I was wearing the improper bra size. I had a "bravelation" and found out I was wearing the TOTALLY wrong size (went from a 32C to a 28F).

I was measured by Nordstroms, Victoria's Secret (that place is the freggin' devil, I almost want to protest that damned store), etc. and I was always "measured" 32-band. Why? Because if they measured me in the right band size, a 28, they wouldn't be able to sell me a bra (who the heck has heard of a 28F?!). They do the "add four inches rule", for some horrible reason unbeknownst to me. Oh, and instead of having proper fitting bras, they just stuff your bra with more and more padding so it "fits" (cough, Victoria's Secret, cough!).

I don't know if this totally uncouth (or against forum rules), but here is how one properly measures themselves: http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki...rmine_bra_size [Perhaps, a bit Not Safe For Work considering it has to do with breast measuring]

This is how I realized, "Oh my god, I am wearing the wrong bra." My posture became IMMACULENT. I actually now just wear my normal bra underneath a target, non-wired sportsbra (just to absorb bounce), and ta-da, perfect posture over every jump. At first I was like "What, no WAY I am a 28F. F's are for ladies with big breasts! I don't have those!" But, I entertained the idea, ordered and tried a couple on, and I nearly cried because I had been wearing the wrong size my entire life.

Nearly all of my friends have been wearing the wrong bra size, they have switched to new bras after the proper way of measuring, and they feel 10x better (less back pain, better posture, causing better self esteem).

Just throwing it out there. I am sorry if this is totally not the case. I am super passionate about this because so many ladies have been misinformed (I find this a serious feminine issue!!)

Otherwise, it's natural as you get older to have a bit of a softer back. You look very solid and it's just an "equitation" matter. Really think about looking forward in between your horse's ears at all times (never look at the ground). It is a tad difficult to slouch when you are looking up and ahead.
    Thank you! Victorias sectet measured me as a 40d. I measured myself using a tutorial I found online and came up with 36E. Unfortunately I can't find my bra size in stores so I'm wearing a 38dd which is the closest I could find. I am going to have to order a few and see if my measurements were correct and go from there

I have a size 18 hunt coat. With my current bra set up Its a little snug in the bust but big in the waist. I'm considering trying a minimizer bra to see if that helps.

When I was bigger-busted and playing rugby, I hated wearing two sports bras, it adds bulk and not a lot of support. Sometimes I felt like I couldn't breathe! A big problem that rugby players have is overdeveloped pecs/abs and stretched out lats...it's from always working out of a low, power position. This especially affects women who play in the forwards, as we tend to be bigger girls to begin with, and tend to develop muscle easily. Before you know it, your shoulders are permanently rolled forward...definitely start to work on developing strength in your lats and flexibility in your "front"...free-weight exercises that involve pronating and supinating your forearms with your arms extended out to the side are really effective. A good personal trainer could help you figure out some simple exercises to work on this. You have to stick with it though, your body will REALLY want to pick up old habits again.

Anyway, far preferred to wear my one excellent-fitting sports bra over any amount of doubling up. My favorite was an Adidas with a very wide band, and the whole thing was made out of some kind of industrial elastic that BARELY stretched. It was very high in front, it would show over a low V-neck...for some reason this seemed to help.

Move forward to when I started riding, and racer-back bras of any kind compounded the problem. They seemed to encourage me to slump. I had way better luck with styles that had a full cup, underwire, thick straps and no padding.

I lost about 50 lbs and everything was AWESOME...but now I'm pregnant. GAWD! I'm back to my pre-weight-loss bra size...and BARELY far enough along to want to tell anyone I'm pregnant.

(my coach reads here...um, surprise!)

While you do look great on the horse, I understand where you're coming from, anything you can do to make it easier to lift in the shoulder and hold your position is a good thing...who wants to work harder than necessary?!
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Get an Enell - I am a 40DD - and the other day I rode without my E bra. Big mistake - I was sore and felt like I couldn't ride at all - so we went for a hack - I will never ride without it again. Thanks to the E bra I can sit my 18hh horse's trot and canter with ease.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    ^^^Karasha, I agree with your post regarding the sizing. I also felt much better once I was in the right size in my day to day bra (and sports bra for that matter). That being said, there is not a snowball's chance in he** that I could ride in a regular bra with a "normal" sports bra over it. I guess to each his own
    No, I totally understand. Every woman has to find what works for her and her only. There are wonderful underwire sports bras that are an absolute gift from bra manufacturers that give two hoots about your hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Only By Night View Post
    Um, wow. I'll have to come back to this when I'm back at my normal weight to see what the measurement is. I hope to God it changes because right now there is no way on earth I will find that measurement in any stores near me!
    Please do. I hope it helps! The "leaning forward measurement" is really what matters here. A lot of women have migrated breast tissue into their armpits (and sometimes even their back!!!) due to ill fitting bras pushing it there. That is why the swoop n' scoop move is so essential to proper bra fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayb View Post
    Thank you! Victorias sectet measured me as a 40d. I measured myself using a tutorial I found online and came up with 36E. Unfortunately I can't find my bra size in stores so I'm wearing a 38dd which is the closest I could find. I am going to have to order a few and see if my measurements were correct and go from there
    DO NOT even consider what Victoria's Secret measured you in. Their bra fitting is downright abusive considering they put you in the wrong bra size.

Look at places such as brastop.com, eBay, Figsleaves, Herroom.com, etc. They all have a huge array of bra sizes you can try. The UK usually has the same bras for cheaper, since these bra companies are mostly made in the UK. It takes a little longer to get them, but it's worth it for the price savings. I like to use eBay or brastop.com

Also, please make sure you do the leaning forward measurement. If you have been placed in the improper bra size for a certain amount of time, you may have migrated breast tissue. The leaning forward measurement uses your friend gravity to help measure. It's normal for that breast tissue to eventually migrate back to where it is supposed to be.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me. There's so much information I can share including how to know if your bra is fitting properly, bra resources, etc.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks rugbygirl and everyone else for the compliments. I am overly critical of myself when riding. The other girlswwho ride at the barn are all a lot more far along than I am. They all jump 3' plus and I feel like I'm way behind yhem because I still get nervous jumping higher than 18"-2' I look at the videos and pics of me riding and rip them apart at what I'm doing wrong. I need to remember not to compare my beginning to someone else's middle and as long as I am improving and feel like i have accomplished things during my ride that I am okay

I have a size 18 hunt coat. With my current bra set up Its a little snug in the bust but big in the waist. I'm considering trying a minimizer bra to see if that helps.
    If I were to put on my hunt coat with my normal bra you would think there is no chance it actually fits. With the Enell (and I'm sure other minimizer type bras) it fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by karasha View Post
    There are wonderful underwire sports bras that are an absolute gift from bra manufacturers that give two hoots about your hooters.
    This cracked me up!

I also suggest Soma for larger sizes. I have had good luck with them.

Lindsay b, for sure it's tough when you're a competitive person to make sure your comparisons to others are rational! You said that you're nursing a baby...your body is still undergoing pretty significant changes, and will continue for a while...plus that baby at home is going to impact how brave you feel over fences. Responsibilities unfortunately prevent achieving that "teenage fearlessness" for a lot of us

It'll come! In the meantime, sounds like you need to buy a pretty new bra that fits and enjoy looking at your photos and videos with a new attitude: "look how far I've come, and I'm only improving from here!"
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I'm a 34DD and growing I wear the shoulders back product and love it for the support it provide. Plus I use a variety of compression style "running" sportsbra. I don't tend toward one brand over another, but I try to choose ones that are made of stronger, thicker fabric. The challenge has been putting them on as they are often one piece, but I've found several that have a clasp or zipper in the front.

Oh yeah, and, fwiw, I never wear two bras. They are just bulky and don't provide any additional support.

Good luck!

I think you look great, balanced, and not particuarly slumpy at all! I'm fairly small chested, and I promise you, I round my shoulders much more than you do! Always have, probably always will...

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Specifically Anita style 5527. Its my best selling sports bra.
    You recommended this in an older thread, and I got one (and then more), and I must say it's been fantastic! OP I second this choice, I'm a 32F and these work well enough that I can actually sit the trot for the first time as an adult (and they don't give you a mono-boob)!

I also have the curled shoulder issues you talked about (although you looked fine in the pics). I got some exercises from a PT that have really helped.

1)Stretch the pectoral muscles. I do this by laying on a bench and letting my arms open out and just gently stretch the chest.

2)Strengthen the mid/upper back. He told me that every time I'm driving and I get to a red light, I have to bring my neck back until my head touches the head rest. Then I have to pull my shoulder blades together and down as far as I can, and hold it until the light turns green. This one exercise has helped me SO MUCH. It's taken a lot of the tightness out of my neck and shoulder area, and given me enough muscle to hold myself in two point without curling up.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am not trying to violate any rules, but for those who are talking about how much of a difference a REAL fitting makes, thank you. As someone who owns a specialty store that stocks those "odd" (they are not really odd, most people have no clue what size they are) sizes, THANK YOU. I want to hug you all.

OP, if you have any questions on fit of particular styles feel free to PM. I will gladly walk you through as much as I know.

I wish I could have a COTH day here!

My trainers number 1 thing to correct me on is "lift your shoulders" when I don't slump my hands and elbows are still and don't get overly "busy" lol.
    I wouldn't think about lifting your shoulders, I would think about opening your chest by thinking about pinching your shoulder blades together.

FWIW: when you are confident and effective with a correct position...that's when you can say "shoulders, schmoulders," and RAyers says. that said, I don't think you are as slumpy as you think.

I would also be careful about blaming in on your chest. It will give you an excuse to not work on the issue. It's like when people tell me they have short arms so they can't hold their hands still. That's crap. It might be harder, but it possible.

As to bra fit: Sadly most people don't know that there is an inverse relationship between band size and cup size. Go up a band, down a cup (not usually the way people go) or down a band and up a cup. People tend to need less band, more cup, but are often wearing more band and less cup. If that makes any sense.
    Last edited by RugBug; Jun. 13, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I had similar issues. I couldn't sit up straight for the life of me, like I had forgotten how in the saddle. I am chest-heavy, but I couldn't really figure it out. I finally found I had a leg problem and I was compensating by tipping from my seat. I also needed to strengthen my lower back and abdominals, and focus on pulling my shoulders up, back, and together. . Voila. No more slouching, except on days when my back is a bit sore.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Ditto on everyone else's comments: the right sports bra will make all the difference! I started as a re-rider in a 36C, what I thought was my size at the time. Lost some weight and knew I needed a different size, but never thought a 34D would be it! I may be closer to a 32DD now, which is heading outside the range of "normal" sizes.

Online ordering is a huge plus here; I have been known to order 10 different sports bras and keep just one. (My bra of choice is the Champion Powersleek, though it looks like it may be discontinued!)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Another DD here. A good supportive bra is essential. I'll second Moving Comfort bras, though I like the Fiona because it has a "regular" back and is easier to get on and off, while still being a good compression style that can help you look smaller. I haven't tried the Anita 5527, but it looks like a good option too. I might have to give it a try.

Karasha, you are not alone (obviously from the posts here!). I don't recall the exact number, but the pros say a huge percentage of women wear the wrong bra size.

And Lindsay, what Rugbygirl said. I know it's hard, but don't compare yourself to kids or teens. They are fearless, while you have responsibilities. We know we don't bounce so good. And remember, how big you jump is not the main thing, it's how well you ride the horse, and you look like you're doing just fine.
    Last edited by Portia; Jun. 13, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I really like the under armor brand. They are pricey, but hold up well. The ones that zip in the front are my favorite, but be warned that the zipper can wear out and once in the middle of a lesson I did a particularly strong half halt on my mare and ended up with the bra unzipping itself and major flapping! Worst part is that my trainer uses the headsets that she can hear me too. I thought she was going to pee her paints when, not thinking, I blurted out...OMG my bra came off!

And I agree about hating Victoria's Secret. After spending a painful hour trying on every bra they sell the sales girl basically threw her hands in the air and said I don't thing there is a bra in existence that will fit you. Kept repeating how she never had anyone NOT fit into a VS bra. Gee thanks....