The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pictures, video, and a question for big busted ladies

I have a question for big busted ladies. I am a 36E. I have the tendency to slump my shoulders due to habit, weight and embarrassment of such a large chest. I have to work extra hard keeping my shoulders back while riding, sometimes I over compensate and become stiff. Any tips? I've looked into the "shoulders back" product but I'm not sure if it'd help or not.

Here are a few pics from a lesson earlier this week, and a short clip from today. I am slowly getting more confident over fences, up until 2 weeks ago I was unable to canter over anything, and now I'm cantering a whole "mini" course. I still struggle seeing my distances sometimes, but its getting better with every lesson.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psb0fb330c.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psefd7214f.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps90f2ddde.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps543358ed.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps30927746.jpg

And here is the clip
    http://youtu.be/xM1xicqWNag

Not a lady but, who cares about the shoulder? You look solid and well balanced. You are allowing your horse to go forward and to jump in a step. Shoulder, schmoulder. I will see your shoulders and raise you mine. I'ver torn the back out of more hunt coats than I care to count.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

6 members found this post helpful.

My trainers number 1 thing to correct me on is "lift your shoulders" when I don't slump my hands and elbows are still and don't get overly "busy" lol.

A really good sports bra (my favorite is Moving Comfort's Jubralee model) and a safety vest will keep things on lockdown. Stretch your upper body away from your lower body. I don't think your shoulders look that bad, and you're nicely balanced in the tack!

I will look into that. Right now I wear my regular day to day bra with a danskin sports bra over it and I feel like its very restricting and doesn't offer that great of support

I think you look great! I would say work with some yoga stretches to get the shoulders back. You have to first stretch the muscles to make them go back and that's a process. If the muscles are contracted and most are, they won't go back without retraining them. Tme and patience and you can do it.

I don't have a massive bust, but I definitely have a big chest for my body (I used to wear a 30DD) and I slump as well (my trainer calls it my "turtle back.")

My coach actually has a specific stick, like a thin wooden rod that I used to trot around with. You pull your elbows back and the stick rests on the crease of your arm and the small of your back, pushing your back forward and arching it. I wish I had a picture to give you a better idea. You can put a crop there instead as it has more give to it. I trotted and cantered with that stick every time I rode a quieter, trustworthy horse to get used to the position.

I second the idea of a better sports bra. I have never tried any of the ones made specifically for riding, but I know they exist. And I did used to ride in a safety vest as per my old barn's rules, and that definitely kept everything tucked in. But I found it made my back worse since the flat vest hid my roached back.

I'm a 32DD and I have found the Moving Comfort Juno to really help my shoulders. It completely contains the bounce and also compresses a little so I don't feel so big. Riding with a crop behind my elbows also helped me correct myself.

Quote Originally Posted by carroal View Post
    I think you look great! I would say work with some yoga stretches to get the shoulders back. You have to first stretch the muscles to make them go back and that's a process. If the muscles are contracted and most are, they won't go back without retraining them. Tme and patience and you can do it.
    Actually stretch your chest muscles and work on strengthening your back. I struggle too with keeping my shoulders back (years of working hunched over a computer) and getting fitter through weight lifting has helped a lot. As has working on getting my core strong since I find the stronger and more engaged my core the less I slouch.

I have a big chest too (36DD) so I feel you. You just always have to remind yourself to either sit up or look up (both cues work for me). Practice over ground poles and when you're flatting. It will eventually feel more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayb View Post
    I will look into that. Right now I wear my regular day to day bra with a danskin sports bra over it and I feel like its very restricting and doesn't offer that great of support
    Definitely try other bras - the right one will really make a big difference: if you do a forum search you should be able to find lots of "favourites"

You might try on the Shoulder's Back product & see how you like it, but I'd invest in the right bra first.

I think you look pretty darn good, and for what it's worth - I am tiny and struggle with my shoulders too. For me I think it's a bit of a confidence issue. I'm so busy thinking about my legs and heels, and trying not to jump ahead, that I just don't think about my shoulders as much. I'm not saying that big boobs don't make it harder, I'm sure it does, but there could be other issues too.

1 members found this post helpful.

As a re-rider who is coming back into riding a lot heavier than I left, I find myself slumping a lot. I'm a lot more top heavy than I used to be, so keeping my shoulders back is a conscious effort I need to make. I just purchased an Under Armor bra and so far, so good. Lots of support... I don't even notice my chest when I ride, and for me, that's a huge accomplishment!

Better sports bra goes light years. I am finally able to "open" my chest properly and allow my shoulders to softly fall into good alignment. Check out the Anita bras--no wire, but they do a fabulous job keeping all in. I'm a 32DD--not massive, but they are big for my body frame.

Specifically Anita style 5527. Its my best selling sports bra.

I have this issue too. I'm a 36F which is a lot of weight on the front!

Definitely get a new sports bra. I use Shock Absorber brand which are made for running (another bouncy sport!!). Get a level 4 one which are max support.

And yes stretching your chest muscles will help. Also strengthening you back and shoulder muscles.

Pay attention to your posture all the time too. Work on standing/sitting with good posture and it will get easier in the saddle.

Finally, don't be embarrassed! You have nothing to be ashamed about.

Thanks for all the imput and compliments. I am going to be ordering some sports bras lol.

I am heavier post baby, and still nursing so that adds size. I am working on getting in shape and working on my posture during the day when not riding.

I definitely feel like I am so busy trying to remember to keep my heels down, and all the other little things that it is easy to fall back to my habit of slouching

I completely understand where you are coming from. If I don't feel like the bounce is contained I feel so self conscious. At one point I was a 40DDD. Here is what worked form me:

1. Absolutely get a good bra. I use the Enell bra. I know a lot of people find them too constricting or a bit ugly (there is a seam that runs across the cup) but I have never found another bra that holds me in place...and I have tried some of the others mentioned so far.
    2. Shoulders back. I do not ride in this but I do wear it during the day at my desk. I use it more as a "reminder" to hold my good posture and not so much as something to pull by shoulders back.
    3. Stretch your chest. I usually stand in a door way, place my hands on either side of the frame and lean forward.
    4. Work on core strength. I hate working on core strength, but when I do I find it so much easier to control my upper body, including my shoulders.

All that being said, I think you look great. I would not have thought you had this concern from the pics and video

Ok, I really hope this doesn't get too personal, nor I mean no offense...

Have you ever considered you perhaps are wearing the wrong size bra? I use to slouch a lot and feel unsupported when I was wearing the improper bra size. I had a "bravelation" and found out I was wearing the TOTALLY wrong size (went from a 32C to a 28F).

I was measured by Nordstroms, Victoria's Secret (that place is the freggin' devil, I almost want to protest that damned store), etc. and I was always "measured" 32-band. Why? Because if they measured me in the right band size, a 28, they wouldn't be able to sell me a bra (who the heck has heard of a 28F?!). They do the "add four inches rule", for some horrible reason unbeknownst to me. Oh, and instead of having proper fitting bras, they just stuff your bra with more and more padding so it "fits" (cough, Victoria's Secret, cough!).

I don't know if this totally uncouth (or against forum rules), but here is how one properly measures themselves: http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki...rmine_bra_size [Perhaps, a bit Not Safe For Work considering it has to do with breast measuring]

This is how I realized, "Oh my god, I am wearing the wrong bra." My posture became IMMACULENT. I actually now just wear my normal bra underneath a target, non-wired sportsbra (just to absorb bounce), and ta-da, perfect posture over every jump. At first I was like "What, no WAY I am a 28F. F's are for ladies with big breasts! I don't have those!" But, I entertained the idea, ordered and tried a couple on, and I nearly cried because I had been wearing the wrong size my entire life.

Nearly all of my friends have been wearing the wrong bra size, they have switched to new bras after the proper way of measuring, and they feel 10x better (less back pain, better posture, causing better self esteem).

Just throwing it out there. I am sorry if this is totally not the case. I am super passionate about this because so many ladies have been misinformed (I find this a serious feminine issue!!)

Otherwise, it's natural as you get older to have a bit of a softer back. You look very solid and it's just an "equitation" matter. Really think about looking forward in between your horse's ears at all times (never look at the ground). It is a tad difficult to slouch when you are looking up and ahead.

^^^Karasha, I agree with your post regarding the sizing. I also felt much better once I was in the right size in my day to day bra (and sports bra for that matter). That being said, there is not a snowball's chance in he** that I could ride in a regular bra with a "normal" sports bra over it. I guess to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by karasha View Post
    Ok, I really hope this doesn't get too personal, nor I mean no offense...

Have you ever considered you perhaps are wearing the wrong size bra? I use to slouch a lot and feel unsupported when I was wearing the improper bra size. I had a "bravelation" and found out I was wearing the TOTALLY wrong size (went from a 32C to a 28F).

I was measured by Nordstroms, Victoria's Secret (that place is the freggin' devil, I almost want to protest that damned store), etc. and I was always "measured" 32-band. Why? Because if they measured me in the right band size, a 28, they wouldn't be able to sell me a bra (who the heck has heard of a 28F?!). They do the "add four inches rule", for some horrible reason unbeknownst to me. Oh, and instead of having proper fitting bras, they just stuff your bra with more and more padding so it "fits" (cough, Victoria's Secret, cough!).

I don't know if this totally uncouth (or against forum rules), but here is how one properly measures themselves: http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki...rmine_bra_size [Perhaps, a bit Not Safe For Work considering it has to do with breast measuring]

This is how I realized, "Oh my god, I am wearing the wrong bra." My posture became IMMACULENT. I actually now just wear my normal bra underneath a target, non-wired sportsbra (just to absorb bounce), and ta-da, perfect posture over every jump. At first I was like "What, no WAY I am a 28F. F's are for ladies with big breasts! I don't have those!" But, I entertained the idea, ordered and tried a couple on, and I nearly cried because I had been wearing the wrong size my entire life.

Nearly all of my friends have been wearing the wrong bra size, they have switched to new bras after the proper way of measuring, and they feel 10x better (less back pain, better posture, causing better self esteem).

Just throwing it out there. I am sorry if this is totally not the case. I am super passionate about this because so many ladies have been misinformed (I find this a serious feminine issue!!)

Otherwise, it's natural as you get older to have a bit of a softer back. You look very solid and it's just an "equitation" matter. Really think about looking forward in between your horse's ears at all times (never look at the ground). It is a tad difficult to slouch when you are looking up and ahead.
    Um, wow. I'll have to come back to this when I'm back at my normal weight to see what the measurement is. I hope to God it changes because right now there is no way on earth I will find that measurement in any stores near me!