The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teaching more dressage to teens- any resources?

I've got a barn full of eventing teens (12-16) and they're all pretty solid on their flatwork- they can put their horses on the bit, spiral in and out, have a broad understanding of inside leg to outside rein, bend and counter bend and grasp the idea of a good connection and can recognize when it's correct.

Their ponies are all tuned up weekly by me, and can do basic shoulder in or fore, leg yield etc.

I'm probably over thinking it, put I'd like to start adding more to these kids repertoire. My own dressage training has been a lot of self discovery, research and riding with different people to help understand concepts, so the typical progression of dressage instruction is a bit foreign to me.

Can someone point me in the right direction or give me some pointers?

Of course Lendon Gray is the youth dressage guru. She has a required reading list on her website. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.youthdressagefestival.com...uired-reading/
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Dressage is a progression, but the basics o walk trot and canter are always there. Have your riders polish these gaits, the transitions between them, make sure they under stand half halts without grabbing the reins.

Once all that is lined up you can progress them to leg yield, and then start moving them up the Levels.

Since the horses already know the work, it is easier to focus on the rider.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Of course Lendon Gray is the youth dressage guru. She has a required reading list on her website. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.youthdressagefestival.com...uired-reading/

This is perfect! Thank you!

For you "The Principles of Riding", since you say your progression has been hap- hazard.

.http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Nat.../dp/1872119719
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Any chance you & your kids could 'field trip' this summer to Lendon's D4K in Saugerties, NY? (I think that's where it's held)
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Any chance you & your kids could 'field trip' this summer to Lendon's D4K in Saugerties, NY? (I think that's where it's held)
    Not a chance- we're in Nashville, TN. But I do appreciate her site as a reference- her objectives were exactly what I was looking for.

I'm lucky to have an excellent UL trainer around the corner from me who is happy to mentor me and bring me along, but sometimes my natural instinct kicks in and I'm able to ride something I don't truly understand- or I just think too much and I need to stop worrying and just enjoy the ride.

I didn't appreciate dressage until I was in my mid 20's and I want to make it that fun for all my students... but sometimes I think it's just something you have to grow into.