The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More SmartPak :/

Just received an email from SmartPak, subject line: "Don't lose your discount, add promocode PERKS today!"

Apparently they are "updating" their SmartPerks program which enables you to save 10% on all SmartPak brand stuff, an update which seems to involve removing the discount altogether unless you put the PERKS code in within some unspecified amount of time.

Well, ok then.

1 members found this post helpful.

I assume (have not seen the email yet) that it means to get the 10% you have to put the code in at check out.

I got that too... no clue?

I just read it, the body of the email says to enter the code at check out to keep your 10% discount. So instead of being automatic you have to put in this code when you shop.

That's pretty tricky. Are they counting on people not reading the email so they don't have to give them the 10% discount?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm actually okay with this.

I tried to use the Memorial Day coupon the other day, and it kept knocking off the VIP discount, but because the "savings" line isn't itemized to say what savings your getting for which promotion, it took me forever to figure out what the problem was.

I'm hoping that the checkout screen is a bit clearer, too, with this change.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I just read it, the body of the email says to enter the code at check out to keep your 10% discount. So instead of being automatic you have to put in this code when you shop.
    The email says, "Enter the promo code PERKS the next time you place an order or visit your AutoShip Manager at SmartPak.com, and you'll automatically save 10% on all future purchases of SmartPak brand tack and apparel!"

This indicates to me that one entry of the code will cover you automatically for all future purchases going forward, no re-entry required. But if you don't enter it, you will "lose" the discount as per email subject line.

It's nice to know that SmartPak's "perks" now require you to have a legal mind trained in textualist and/or intentionalist interpretation in order to get a vague idea of what might be going on, on the off chance you checked your merchant retailer emails today.

Hopefully they will come explain. I sent them an email with a link to this thread asking for an explanation.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got the email too. I'm interpreting it similar to meup. On a similar note, I logged into SmartPak this morning (before the email) and noticed that my account page looked different. I wonder if that has something to do with the perks.

Why don't you call them and ask them instead of coming on here and complaining. They have always answered my questions politely. Other companies change their sale policies and nothing is said. Smartpak has been too good to their customers and people have taken advantage of that. Now everybody gets mad at them when they need to make adjustments in their business plan. They obviously can't please everyone. If you don't want to do business with them, do your business else where. Simple.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Why don't you call them and ask them instead of coming on here and complaining. They have always answered my questions politely. Other companies change their sale policies and nothing is said. Smartpak has been too good to their customers and people have taken advantage of that. Now everybody gets mad at them when they need to make adjustments in their business plan. They obviously can't please everyone. If you don't want to do business with them, do your business else where. Simple.
    Since there seems to be a loss of a grandfathered-in discount at stake here, I thought perhaps I would post it on COTH so that some people who may not otherwise see it can be aware.

I have already largely reconsidered my SmartPak devotion for things other than supplements since the discontinuation of free monogramming, but for other people who may want to keep the discount I thought the post would be helpful.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I suspect the extra annoyance at the sudden nickle and diming is, going off what people said on the last thread, a lot of people put up with SmartPak having higher prices for the ease and perks that went along with higher prices (in one case someone took a $10 price difference for the free embroidery) but now they seem to be removing all the perks and leaving the non-competitive prices. Which is annoying loyal customers.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Which is annoying loyal customers.
    Such as for example those people who told everyone within earshot about the free embroidery and found a low cost ($60) but very elegant stable sheet/cooler option for shows with monogramming to differentiate between whose is whose, and now with monogramming extra the same exact thing is $110.

A price increase for the same thing of 95%.
    I just can't keep recommending that to others, not in the least because they will flat out think I am crazy. The buck has stopped.

Or the small identifying monogram on my ballistic turnout sheet discreetly by the left gaskin piping (so not a huge thing on the barrel) which is now also $49.95, increasing the price for the same blanket by 25%. Meanwhile I had the exact same size little line of text monogrammed on a saddle pad of roughly the same thickness locally in TX for $3.95.

Makes me sad.

Howdy friendly COTHers! My name is Donnie Steele and I'm fortunate enough to head up the Marketing group at SmartPak. Before diving into the question at hand, I want to quickly start by saying thank you for all of your support over the years. The board members on COTH have been a huge source of inspiration for us. You've helped us develop new products and services, and you have given us tremendous insight into what riders really want from the companies with which they interact.

As the OP noted, we have indeed updated our SmartPerks program asking for customers to enter in a promo code for their first use (and then it stays in the account forever more). To alleviate jenm's concern, we are not making this change hoping that some people will forget to enter the code. It's actually the exact opposite - we're trying to get more of our riders utilize it. To be completely candid, we're hoping for two things - an increase of awareness and use of the SmartPerks 10% discount program and have the ability to measure the success of that program.

We've offered the SmartPerks program for a number of years and sadly every time we've surveyed our loyal SmartPaks customers, only a small percentage realized they even had this benefit available to them. To help increase awareness for the program, we rebuilt our product details page to be smarter about displaying the message to all SmartPaks customers, notifying them that they can receive 10% off a SmartPak branded product if they enter the code at checkout. Once the code has been entered the product details page will then just show the reduced price and it stays with the rider forever more.

When it comes to measuring the success of the SmartPerks program, we had one fundamental flaw - it automatically applied to every customer. From a usability standpoint, we loved that it was so easy. However, when it came to trying to measure if our riders valued this great benefit (or if they were even aware of it), we were unable to do so because it automatically applied. We thought the easiest way to accomplish that goal, while also making it easy, was to mimic how we handle our USEF and AQHA discount programs. We just ask that it be entered once and then never have to do it again. Once the promo code has been entered, we then know it's valued and loved. However, the thing that's clear to me is that we made a decision that seemed logical, but it was not well-received by some of our most loyal customers and I'm disappointed that we weren't able to come up with a better solution. As I began with, we LOVE you guys and we spend each and every day trying to develop new ways to creating an enchanting experience for you and and I can assure you we will work harder still.

We strive for a world class experience at SmartPak, aiming not to just offer the best customer service in the horse community, but the best customer service on the planet. Part of how we accomplish that is by listening to our riders and creating a truly unmatched experience. If you ever have anything you'd like to share with us, please feel free to email me directly at dsteele@smartpak.com and I can guarantee you'll be heard and your ideas will be shared within the company. As always, thank you so much for the continued feedback and helping us to become a better partner in the barn!

Happy riding,

Donnie Steele
    dsteele@smartpak.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Donnie, hows about shipping to canada yet?
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for clarifying this for us, Donnie!