The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So there's this free horse...

I wasn't looking for a horse, I didn't WANT another horse...but it always starts that way doesn't it?

I ended up trying him, and he's cute, very much like my current riding horse. But he's 7 and grass green with some behavioral problems I'm not sure I want to deal with. He's popped up on a occasion u/s with his current owner, he shuts down if you don't ride the right way, he needs his teeth done, and a vet check, and some serious wet saddle pads. Oh yes and he's grade, 15.2, and bay...so not exactly a huge contender for a quick sale once he is tuned up.

But...I do have a stall, I do have the time, and I really really like him. Plus, he's an easy keeper, so at least his feed costs won't be high. Also, he has pretty decent conformation, and he's cute, and he's the kind of horse I love to work with.

I should've never said yes when she offered to let me ride him.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

There's no such thing as a free horse. There's always one more vet/farrier/feed/saddle/bridle/bit/wrap/blanket/time/etc. expense.

You already said he won't be a quick sale. How much time and effort will he take to make him marketable? What if in the long run, he doesn't work out for you?

Are you acting on emotion or fact?

In a horse market like the current one, if he isn't damng close to perfect, I'd pass.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I wasn't looking for a horse, I didn't WANT another horse...but it always starts that way doesn't it?

I ended up trying him, and he's cute, very much like my current riding horse. But he's 7 and grass green with some behavioral problems I'm not sure I want to deal with. He's popped up on a occasion u/s with his current owner, he shuts down if you don't ride the right way, he needs his teeth done, and a vet check, and some serious wet saddle pads. Oh yes and he's grade, 15.2, and bay...so not exactly a huge contender for a quick sale once he is tuned up.

But...I do have a stall, I do have the time, and I really really like him. Plus, he's an easy keeper, so at least his feed costs won't be high. Also, he has pretty decent conformation, and he's cute, and he's the kind of horse I love to work with.

Uh-huh. So, WHEN do you bring him home?
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

3 members found this post helpful.

What are you going to name him? And we need pictures, of course.

Lots of nice things come in plain brown wrappers.

5 members found this post helpful.

Plain brain wrappers are the best kind! And the need for wet saddle pads means you get to spend lots of time riding
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    They call it taken for a ride for a reason.

You are the same type of dewy eyed optimist who feeds the stray cats so hoping that with just one more meal in their tummy they will have the strength to go home.

Go get your horse.

We are enablers here - we'll find a ride home for him.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

11 members found this post helpful.

Hey, if you've got the time, energy, and ability to turn this fella into a solid equine citizen, I say go for it. Whether you wind up keeping him or selling him after you've tuned him up, the horse will be much better off for it. How's that for some high quality enabling?

4 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like his show name is already Plain Brown Wrapper . . . Now to come up with a good barn name. Go get him, get his teeth done, make sure a chiro checks him out, and have fun!

4 members found this post helpful.

Been there, done that...last week. Except its an old mare with a lengthy show record that needs some groceries... I'm picking her up on Thursday!

Sounds like you already made up your mind. Have fun with him!

Basically all my horses ever have been free, with the exception of a handful I paid meat prices for (~$300ish). I'm honestly really not sure why people pay for horses, but I'm sure glad they do because I used to do pretty well for myself re-selling them!

He's adorable, best of luck with him!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

2 members found this post helpful.

Well..my "free" horse is still making money to the vet and the foot dude. I'm hoping I get the triple effect down were I work (it goes down hill from there right?).

I think I have made up my mind. I just see loads of potential in this guy. I dont really care that he's nothing special to look at. He's cute with nice movement and a easy going temperament. He's the kind of horse you turn into a really great low/mid level horse. He's a light bay with a little chrome on him. Now to find out if he is still available.
    come what may

3 members found this post helpful.

My "free" horse is the most expensive animal I've ever owned!

5 members found this post helpful.

My 'free' mare was the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Congrats on Plain Brown Wrapper! Pictures!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Oh, boy, the times this has happened. A lot of times, they turn out so well, you end up keeping them, yes, indeedy, you do. Trust me. I know.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Hmm, well apparently it is a small world. I know someone that knows his current owner. I'm trying to find out what she thinks about his owner/the horse. I'll see if I can link a picture.
    come what may

We'll need pics!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Yep, the horse world is really pretty small.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Beau

Okay this is the only picture I have of him. I didn't even bother to take pictures when I went to look at him because DUH, I wasn't getting him. Silly me.
    come what may

Ok I want him. Just the look I like!