The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pessoa Legacy XP3: US source for AMS wool panels rather than Bayflex foam?

In North America this saddle seems to be available only with the Bayflex foam panels, while in the rest of the world it comes with the AMS panels. I prefer the latter, so I thought I would check the COTH braintrust to see if anyone is aware of a source for the AMS version here in the States? I guess I could order it from abroad, but want to be able to trial the saddle prior to purchase and that would be more international shipping than I am prepared to undertake.

Thanks for any leads you may have.

VTO Saddlery was very helpful for me when I was looking for a model *with* Bayflex, which worked really well for my horse. I do recall the XP3 being one that definitely has Bayflex panels.

An email to VTO asking if they could get the XP3 with AMS panels is probably what I would do.

You might check with Charlotte Saddlery as they still carry a good range of Pessoa.

You might drop SportsFan46 a pm/email as he will know for sure what the availability is - sometimes what you're seeing is old stock floating around rather than current models.

If you can manage the XP etc, Rick's Heriatage still has some "like new" Pessoas

Thanks for taking time to respond. It is probably a fool's errand, but worth a bit of a nosey at any rate. If anyone else has additional tips, please pass them along!

The XP3 has only ever come with Bayflex in the States.

Any Pessoa can be special ordered with options like the AMS in place of Bayflex. I think there might be a small fee and it's non-returnable, but I think that's fair and standard for special order products.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    The XP3 has only ever come with Bayflex in the States.

Any Pessoa can be special ordered with options like the AMS in place of Bayflex. I think there might be a small fee and it's non-returnable, but I think that's fair and standard for special order products.
    Yes & no - Pessoa strikes me as not a small company, they are producing the product already so it's not really a special order but more about distribution: why not have a few demo models to float around North America.

This attitude was one of the reasons that I finally just went with made to order saddles - at least the reps have demo saddles (& will ship demos across borders for minimal fees, generous trial periods, no "must buy" stipulation), & company will rework the saddle as needed to meet their fit guarantee; yes I had to increase my budget, but when none of the locally available stock models from companies such as Pessoa even came close to fitting ... it was the lesser gamble.

i got an email from Dover today about the AMS panels. this is what it linked to:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/pessoa-..._mid/17602759/

I had a Pessoa AO/EQ combo type saddle that the tree broke--not sure how/why. Saddle was sent back to Pessoa by my local tack shop (or whoever they deal with) to get pricing for a tree replacement. Pessoa stood by their product despite it being 10+ years old & offered me a free replacement. I didn't want a plain AO & opted for the Legacy XP3. Love it! I too had hoped for the wool panels, but was told I could only get foam...since it was essentially a free new saddle I wasn't going to push it. I have been very happy with the saddle & it's been 3 years.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I should probably just take an A/O or Heritage Pro on trial, as those saddles are readily available with the AMS panels. The Heritage Pro looks nice because it has the "Master Fit" panel options.

Yep - Pessoa stands behind its warranty like no other company I have encountered.

And I am fairly certain that they DO have demos - just that stores have to order them. At least, that's what the store did for me when I bought my XP3.