The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Boot Thread

Our precious (using the term loosely) puppy chewed the heck out of my nice pair of show/schooling boots last week, so I'm in search of a new pair. We're on a super tight budget, and I ended up really liking the pair of Treadsteps I tried on but the only way that I could get the ankle to fit properly was in a pair of field boots. Custom boots just aren't in the budget (the Treadsteps right now will be a bit of a stretch).

How inappropriate would field boots be up to First? Any suggestions on a dress boot that will fit an adult with size 6.5 feet but the ankles of a toddler, and stay under $300? Impossible?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I was in a tack shop outside of Chicago a month ago. They had tons of nice clearance boots with incredible deals but they were too small for me. It's not Barrington Saddlery, but the other one...the ladies there were incredibly nice. The shop is about 20 (?) minutes from barrington. Maybe saddler's row? They went through their special stock in the back to try to help me find a pair of boots... It is worth a call.

I've seen people riding above first level in field boots, anecdotally.

My condolences...My sweet Lab chewed the top of my very well-fitting field boot a couple off weeks ago. I'm still riding in it. . Sounds like yours is in boot heaven already-sorry.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

1 members found this post helpful.

Field boots are fine at lower levels.

Mountain Horse Victorias are another inexpensive dress boot alternative.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Can't help you, but would like to scab onto your thread.

The Treadsteps, do they have the same foot fit as Ariats? Ariats fit me perfectly, but I'm done with their poor quality. Years ago the paddock boots would last me at least two years. And I wear my boots hard. I'm lucky to get six months now. Totally not worth $150.00 for that short of time frame.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Are these Tredsteps or
    Treadstones?
    - taking a rather wild guess at the GT's aka Tuscany as the dress boot fit is very different than the field (got them for $150 in a clearance sale, not sure I'd buy them at $300 plus - stitching came out, leather wore very differently between the 2 boots, faded unevenly through the foot ... if you only wear to ride/show, I suspect they would hold up rather better: compared to Ariat paddocks - these boots were worn in a similar fashion - quality is about the same as Ariat's mid/upper range.
    Note that choice at the sale price was a boot very slightly too short (after predicted drop) or rather too tall (ouch): went with the shorter as needed the boots next day - they dropped maybe 1/2 inch so that part was great )

Best Ariat paddocks ever - the Hannover, old Cobalts - new Heritage ($100) is a 6 month boot

Tredstep/Treadstone fit is more similar to Ariat than Mtn Horse (wider foot, different arch)

Actually, the Victoria's are a different fit, quite a bit slimmer than previous Mountain Horse boots. They look normal and are pretty snug thru the footbed, ankle and lower calf, comparatively.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I tried the Mountain Horse's, but again, the dress boots were too big in the ankle and even the field boots just didn't feel quite right. Even the shortest calf height came up fairly high. To the point that I KNOW it would rub serious blisters even with thicker socks. I tried Ariat too, with the same result. The pair my dog ate were customs (*SOB*) because I looked all over for boots that would fit, and just couldn't find a comfortable pair.

The Tredsteps (sorry about my misspelling), seemed to be the best fit within my budget. The leather was super yummy feeling for the price, and the foot bed most comfortable.

I may just go the paddock boot/half chap route for the time being, as we won't be showing right away and keep saving my pennies until I can afford something a little more tailored. I just so much prefer riding in tall boots.

From my comparison yesterday, the Tredsteps were much better quality than the Ariats, even though the Tredsteps were a bit lower priced. I have gotten away from Ariat in the past few years, for the reasons that you described. I tried up a $$$ pair at Rolex for fun, and was really not impressed with the fit/feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.