The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin-off: Where were you 10 years ago?

The thread about Reed got me thinking.. what were you doing 10-12 years ago? I think that the post by Teri was made in 2001, IIRC.

In 2001, I was showing my medium pony in the children's, I was still in jods, and I had just started shipping in for lessons with Kip. I'm not sure I had ever sat on a horse at that point, and I was adamant that I would never jump higher than 3' or maybe 3'6''.*

Now, in 2013, I'm (planning on, haven't started for this year yet) showing my 17-year-old ex-small-junior-hunter in the national standard GPs, I don't have my amateur status, we've been on the cover of a national magazine, and I love jumping bigger stuff. I have Duckie (my pony) again, but she lives in Minnesota and belongs to an adorable little girl who loves her to pieces. I've graduated from college, determined that I'm not so sure of what I want to do with my life but am going to be working in a lab with something that may be my academic passion, and gotten married .

*This statement did not account for invisible rails set at ridiculous heights because I didn't know I would have a horse who sometimes plays "Puissance Horse" for no apparent reason.
    Your turn!
    Last edited by supershorty628; Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Twelve years ago I had just graduated from college and was in a leave of absence from riding - just picked it back up again about three years ago! Horsie and I were only trotting crossrails a year ago, and my big lug Perch/TB and I play like this now:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps5ace5bda.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

10 years ago I was jumping clean around the 4'3 jumpers on my young horse, had 6 horses in training including a really nice pre green hunter, and a dozen lesson kids. I alternated between working for a great trainer at big shows and taking along my horse and the hunter...and taking the kids and less fancy green horses to local shows. That fall I went off to law school.

Ten years later, I have a farm, 2 kids and two green horses. The promising jumper is now retired to flat work only, and I still love the tar out of that horse. We have a fat pony and I never show, or jump more than 3'.

In another 10 years I hope to be back in the show ring a bit but as the amateur I am now. I am not a better rider than I was...in fact, I am very much worse...but this sport is a lifelong project. A little detour is okay.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

8 members found this post helpful.

In 2001, I was coming back from some scary falls (to an 11-year old)/ bad trainers.
    This little guy, Mack, was the pony that gave me my confidence back.

10 years ago, in 2003, I was showing in the beginner equitation (twice around the outside crossrail courses) on I Love Lucy.

Now, I'm not riding as much as I'd like to, and I'll be on semi-hiatus for a few years while I'm attending veterinary school. But I had lots of fun in intercollegiate, playing with my guy at shows once in a while, trying to relive the glory days of the 2009 Hampton Classic.

Mack and I Love Lucy looks like sweet little souls

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Mack and I Love Lucy looks like sweet little souls
    They were! (RIP to both of them)

My first lesson on Mack, I was scared to canter (even though I had cantered and jumped with other instructors). But the trainer wouldn't take no for an answer, and once I started, I didn't want to stop. He was such a good boy.

And Lucy was a funny pony (scared to DEATH of the hose) but she was a real sweetheart and total crossrail packer.

As a kid I lessoned at a hunt jump barn. Bought my own horse and moved to a trail barn - so, 10-12 years ago I was strictly a trail rider and had been for 29 years!

Then in Oct of 2009 I started taking dressage lessons. Gaited trail mare not happy about going in circles! Rode my "dream horse" in a lesson and bought him in November.

Fast forward to this past fall when we started jumping. This summer we will try to compete in our first mini event. (We have done two CTs so far this summer and survived!)

In 10 years - who knows - I'm just enjoying the ride!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Oh this is a good one!

10 years ago I was 17 and leasing a wench of a little QH mare: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...551_3882_n.jpg and teaching beginner lessons. I was invincible, and didn't know how much I didn't know. Looking back, the amount of responsibility I was given is terrifying. Nutrition? Saddle fit? Bitting? Wrapping? Riding to influence the horse and help them carry themselves? Nope! I just rode. I was the proverbial big fish in a small pond, and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life except that it would involve horses.

Today, after 10 years of GOOD trainers, better horses, and lots of education and experience, I own a fabulous little GRP that I jump, do dressage, and ride western with. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...73305169_o.jpg I can safely say that I now know what I'm doing, for the most part! https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...87917261_o.jpg I still teach and train a little, but my "real job" is real estate. My pony has taught me so much, and I'm ready to go wherever our next adventure takes us!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

2003. My husband and I had just celebrated our first anniversary, and I hadn't ridden, other than one or two nose-to-tail trail rides, in over 20 years. And wasn't planning to take up riding ever again.

2006: I picked up riding again at the urging of some friends who had horses and knew I liked them. I took lessons for 1 1/2 years and did a lot of hacking out on one of these friends' horses, and in 2008 bought my mare. We were headed to eventing land. I still own her, but we're both "advised against" jumping because of soundness issues (I had a bad fall off another horse and she has had various problems in her legs and hooves.) We dabble in low level dressage and do some trail riding, clinics etc. She's adorable and in spite of a very rough start, has turned out to be just about perfect for me. (I have had judges tell me that they are SO happy to see an adult ammy riding a suitable horse!)

Poor DH, he had no idea what he was getting into when he married me. Then again, I had no idea at the time either.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

How fitting... I'm about to turn 26 and the idea that I turned 16 10 years ago freaks me out a bit!

Anyway, 10 years ago I was schooling 4' on my 12 year old Hanoverian mare and showing in the 3' Children's Hunter division: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n..._4216129_n.jpg

I even got to take a lesson with an infamous drug addicted trainer who must have been so under the influence that he let me jump an ex GP horse around a 4'6 course. My friend and I took one lesson from him because she needed to take a video of herself riding a horse for the first time for her NCAA equestrian team try out video... I'm sure I could have done a better job, but that has been the highlight of my horse career.

Now I stare down 2'6 jumps and swear they're 3'6 until my trainer tells me to grow a pair, sit back, and use more leg.
    Last edited by OveroHunter; Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh, goodness! In 2001, I was a senior in high school, band geek, and still showing 4H & Ruritan club shows. I could stick tight & flat pretty well, but couldn't find a jump to save my soul. (I had a great first trainer: he wasn't really a H/J guy, but he could teach you to RIDE!)

In between, I've had ten years of more focused H/J lessons, 4 years of IHSA (did wonders for me), have shown as high as adult amateurs, and am currently at 2'6", but aiming for 3' with the TB in my profile pic. In the rest of my life, I work retail and am married to a wonderful, supportive guy!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

This is fun!

Ten years ago I was in college and had no idea what "real life" was about (but I thought I did). I was showing my ch/ad jumper who was a rockstar. I got another horse who was able to take me to the AO's, I had the best time of my life at WEF where we did very well. I had a great few years showing her, and then real life caught up with me! Both of those horses were the greatest things that ever happened to me, and I miss them both (RIP).

Today I have a promising 7 yr old homebred who has done really well so far. Going to try a few 4' classes at our next show and see how that goes I have a yearling who I have big plans for, but only time will tell. I am also married and have a desk job. Hoping to buy a farmette and bring the ponies home in the near future!
    Impossible is nothing.

It's so crazy to look back!,

10 years ago I was 15, working my summer job and had only ridden twice on vacation trail rides in Cape Cod. I had an obsession with any and all things horsey and decided I wanted to pursue my dream of being a jockey. Grabbed a phone book, called a few local barns and set myself up with riding lessons.

Since then, my horsey career has involved hunter/jumpers, tried a little eventing, broke a lot of babies, galloped on the track, rode and won some races (yay), a Paint mare that's 9 now that I've had since she was 6 months(green horse-green rider but it worked out and she's amazing!), ridden some western, taught beginner lessons...I don't think there's much I haven't crossed!

I'm now married, with a 4 month old baby boy and am looking at getting a new horse to get back into lessons/showing more seriously!

Fun idea.

12 years ago - was just about to quit my job at USDF and buy my first horse. I learned two things working at USDF: it did not pay enough for me to have my own horse, and I did not have the kind of money to be even regionally competitive in the sport. The mare I bought was Paint Horse Breeding Stock and was an excellent trail horse.

Fast forward to today, I have two horses (one a retired show horse, one a Norwegian Fjord), a trailer, all the horse equipment and tack I need, and most of the horse/rider luxuries I want. I got connected into the H/J scene through being hired as a show secretary, and I'm now on the board of our local H/J show circuit.

10 years from now I will still have my Fjord (gods willing), and I would love to own a talented horse for a pro to bring along.

Default Great thread!

In 2001/2003 horses were nowhere on my radar! I’d taken a week-long riding camp when I was 10 or so (1992-ish), and that was the extent of my horse experience, even though I’d loved them all my life. I was in college at that time, and way more worried about my relationship-status than anything else.

It wasn’t until 2005 that I came back to horses to try to put some happiness into my very depressing (at the time) life. That year, I started working at a Dressage barn PT in the Spring (in addition to my FT day job) to learn the ropes and to save money to get my first horse. The owner of the barn tried to get me to buy a yearling Friesian (thank God that didn’t happen – knowing what I know now, I had absolutely no business handling something that young!), my Mom tried to get me to buy a Paint weanling (again – way too young!), I almost did buy a made H/J TB gelding, but I ended up with a rescue who turned out to be my heart horse in the Fall of that year. The amount of things that horse has taught me (and put up with from me as I learned!) over the last 8 years is amazing. I absolutely adore him. <3

Here’s the first time I rode him with any tack on (I’d hopped on him 2 or 3 times before this, bareback with halter and lead ropes, until somebody took pity on me and let me borrow their tack until mine was delivered): Gabriel

In 2003 I was a year away from graduating college and while horses were always on my mind, I never found the time/money to start. That didn't come until around 2007, and the rest is history...

In 2001 I was 10, finishing doing a crazy year of short stirrup and just starting to do the childrens at bigger shows. Back then, because I had a large we were TRYING to make me look older so I got my first pair of tall boots in 2002 when I fully made the switch to large childrens.

In 2003 I helped break a pony who we eventually purchased and I took her through pony finals. Also, because I was 12 that year I was still able to show in short stirrup locally so I got booted back to that with my three year old baby.

Now in 2013 I am graduating college in August. I just sold my horse and I am excited to get home because my friend just opened her own farm and has a ton of ponies for me to play with. I have decided to take a break from horse ownership until I am fully settled with a job. I never would have thought at 10 and 12 that I would EVER take a break from horses but I actually haven't take a lesson since August 2012 and I have only played around. I haven't sat on a horse since December. As much as it pains me to realize I am not actually participating in the horse world in the way I would like I am lucky to have friends who need an extra hand sometimes.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

1 members found this post helpful.

In 2003, I was finishing my freshman year of college. I had just retired my junior horse from strenuous things, and was showing intermediate flat and fences for my IHSA team.

In 2013, I've given up jumping (mostly) and am currently showing FEI level dressage. I hope to make my first international start in a CDI this summer.
    Last edited by joiedevie99; Jun. 12, 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

In 2001 I was 11 and was running around the pony jumpers winning everything with my little Morgan pony. I had aspirations of being a "horse trainer".

After retiring my pony due to injury in 2003, I spent a year riding random horses before acquiring my current horse, who was 4 at the time. We've since worked our way up from the baby greens, through the childrens, juniors, equitation and a/os all the way up to our high performance debut in 2011. We've since been showing in the derbies and when I get bored of the hunter ring, the low a/o jumpers.

She's now 12 and we'll continue to truck along together doing whatever we please until life tells us otherwise. I'm now done school, currently working in the PR field and have no professional horse aspirations. I love doing it for fun and wouldn't want it any other way.

Wow. In 2003 I had been out of college for a year. I was working for a wonderful barn as a beginner instructor and assistant barn manager. We were in the process of moving the barn to a brand new facility that was being built from scratch. The boarding and lessons were doing great, I had a cool project horse.

Six years ago, I left that job to start my own farm. Instead, I got married, had a kid, and we all got slammed against the ground repeatedly when the economic floor gave way. We are slowly climbing out of the hole again. The farm is still a plan, but it will take time. I have a retired horse who's losing all his teeth, and a fat trail horse I have no time to ride.

The farm I worked for 10 years ago is doing fantastic, by the way. It's wonderfully depressing to read of everyone's progress while I feel like I've been on a massive backslide. If not for my wonderful husband and kid, well, I'm ready to get back in the horse world and move forward.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams