The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Who is breeding the older style Arab's? Anyone? My Arab is a blast - she's 15.1 and big bodied, can't wear anything called "Arab" sized because she's a horse . I have no clue what her breeding is because I bought her from a rescue. She's the best horse I've ever had in my life and if I could have another just like her, I wouldn't hesitate.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dc3ddef867.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Who is breeding the older style Arab's? Anyone? My Arab is a blast - she's 15.1 and big bodied, can't wear anything called "Arab" sized because she's a horse . I have no clue what her breeding is because I bought her from a rescue. She's the best horse I've ever had in my life and if I could have another just like her, I wouldn't hesitate.
    I would't call 15.1 hands and big bodied, needing horse sized bridles, to be typical of older style Arabs.

I'm curios about the grey color on teh papers as well. Not that I think it's a scam, but maybe a mix up - and I know nothing about color genetics. The horse in the pictures looks to be chestnut - don't they usually start out as chestnut?
    How is it not a scam? The papers say grey and the horse in the picture is obviously NOT grey. And at 45, a grey horse would surely not be chestnut!

@hundredacres...If you wet down your mare and, if she has white markings, and you have an idea of her age and where she may have come from..region, you may be able to find out her identity. I submitted pics of my mare, who I found at a jousting barn, and within 48 hours, members on that forum were able to track her down and identified her. So, if you go join that forum, and give them all the info you have, someone may either recognize her or be able to get you the info.

On another topic, the Crabbet horses were often quite tall and big-boned. The Crabbet Stud sold about 20plus horses to Russia in the 1920's, which are the basis for the Russian bloodlines. If you go back and look at many of the chestnut horses of those bloodlines, you will find numerous crosses to the Crabbet horses exported to Russia. Skowronek, the sire of Raffles, was imported to England and was born on the Russian/Polish border...but that is a whole other story. Raffles was considered by Crabbet as being a "pony" sire. He was small, and he had a great influence in the US early bloodlines and was much maligned when the marketing of various other bloodlines took hold in this country. He was a very good mover though, and many breeders focused on linebreeding him and were successful with those lines...Gina Manion, dressage...Winraff, for example..also the Azraff lines..but those bloodlines were overwhelmed by the marketing of the passport horses starting with the LaCroix horses...mainly beginning with Bask (who was a great horse..but the marketing was skewed to make money).

The bad breeding practices that occurred when the Arabians became a big tax break in the US resulted in poorly-bred horses that deviated from the breed standard in the US, mostly dictated by greedy trainer advice to "investment breeders", who were not horse people in the first place..or in marketing strategies by some who lived outside of the US and brought a nucleus of horses to the US (Forbis/Ansata), who for the most part have stuck close to the breed standard. The halter horse influence on the breed and the focus on "passport breeding", i.e., straight Egyptian, straight Russian, etc., nearly ruined the breed in this country. There is no such thing as a straight Egyptian in reality (if you investigate it) or pure Polish or "straight" Russian. That generally refers to bloodlines that at one time were used by those government breeding programs or by breeders connected to those goverment programs, or breeders that were breeding prior to political changes in the regions. The Arabian horse originates in the MiddleEast, in what used to be "Arabia". The Bedouin horses were collected from the tribes by people like the Blunts and other breeders like Homer Davenport and Kellogg; as well as the breeders in other countries such as Russia and Poland.

The CMK breeders are wonderful and have a group that has preserved the old breeding and have credibility.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    How is it not a scam? The papers say grey and the horse in the picture is obviously NOT grey. And at 45, a grey horse would surely not be chestnut!
    I was assuming there was a mistake...I like to give the benefit of the doubt. I like to hope the old guy is very confused, not a scammer. There is no benefit to his claim, just pride. Unfortunately it appears he is incorrect afterall. But that still doesn't mean it's a scam.

Renae, I'm not an Arab person - my mare is bigger than any Arab I know though, was my point. I don't think she's "old style" (that was new to me anyway), just that I love her the way she is, because she isn't a wispy waif. And she's the smartest horse I know...I adore her.

fairthewell, she does have markings, I'll look in to that. All I know about her is she came from TX and on her Coggins there was the name Nuvella. I'll join the group. THANKS!
    Last edited by hundredacres; Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was assuming there was a mistake...I like to give the benefit of the doubt. I like to hope the old guy is very confused, not a scammer. There is no benefit to his claim, just pride. Unfortunately it appears he is incorrect afterall. But that still doesn't mean it's a scam.
    Fair enough, you are a nicer person than I am. I'm not trying to be mean, either, but it seems hard to believe that someone hasn't clued him in YET, especially since there was a story about them a couple of years ago. If he really is that clueless, then I'm a little surprised....but I suppose there have been stranger things in this world.

Well, someone mentioned he tells tall tales, so skepticism isn't unwarranted . And honestly, we are probably all a bit used to the truth being unearthed in just about every story told on COTH! I used to be a sucker every single time, but I'm getting better . For instance, every time someone claims their horse is 18hh I have to raise an eyebrow and try not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    I would't call 15.1 hands and big bodied, needing horse sized bridles, to be typical of older style Arabs.
    I would claim "big bodied" is typical of older style Arabs. As for the height, the breed standard says (from memory) "14.1-15.1 with the occasional individual over or under."
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

3 members found this post helpful.

great photo! You 2 are meant for each other for sure

NICE horse!!!

Thanks! She's the best. I'd love to know more about her though!

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Ya know, I don't care if he IS flat out lying. If he is, and the mare is younger, somebody get him to breed that mare to something similar if they can find it!

I had an older style mare who ran in the Old Dominion race and took second, but I got her as an older gal, abandoned with laminitis on a rented farm when the tenants vacated and I could not get her to settle in foal, even off live cover... *sigh* She too was one hell of a horse until people ruined her. She was still able to give little kids pleasure riding her, though.
    Really? What was her name? We have all the records of the OD, from the very beginning. I'd like to check back to see who owned her.