The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    45 years old and still being trail ridden by an adult? No photos of the horse when it was younger? Sorry but I'm skeptical. I'm sure it's a lovely horse no matter what it's she is.
    My 23 year old Lite-shod Tenn. Walking gelding is showing quite a bit in the spring,summner and fall, and ...... is still winning lots of blue ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by cordial View Post
    My 23 year old Lite-shod Tenn. Walking gelding is showing quite a bit in the spring,summner and fall, and ...... is still winning lots of blue ribbons.
    I know many Saddlebreds and Hackney Ponies that have shown into their mid twenties. But add 20 more years, no. And the link to the newspaper article one of the other posters gave has a comment about the set of papers that is being used to give this horses age as 45. The horse on those papers is grey.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    She comes from Russian/Polish/Crabbett(English) stock. These were racehorses, not bred to be "pretty".
    The Crabbet Arabian Stud bred racehorses? Huh. Where did they race?

Our old paint was fat and sound and won the all around buckle in little kids playdays at 25.

Horses, like humans, age at different times, but trail riding full time at 45?
    Not that is not true, who knows, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

I'm curios about the grey color on teh papers as well. Not that I think it's a scam, but maybe a mix up - and I know nothing about color genetics. The horse in the pictures looks to be chestnut - don't they usually start out as chestnut?

1 members found this post helpful.

Here is the info for Bint Suteza on the All Breed Pedigree Query:http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bint+suteza

I wasn't able to see any comments on that article posted above.

I would like to see proof. This guy is in my neck of the woods and I have heard that he can tell tall tales. I don't know that for sure, but I am VERY skeptical.

More internet conversation about this:

see comment section after the article:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/...ll-hot-trot/2/

http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/in...-strong/page-3

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    No--I did not mean that the Crabbet stud did this--I meant that the Russian and Polish stud farms did this. My mare is mostly Polish/Russian, with a little Crabbet thrown in for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Actually Wilfrid and Lady Anne Blunt (founders of Crabbet Stud) started out with the idea that they were going to improve the Thoroughbred by going back to the Arabian source. They registered the Arabs they imported in Weatherby's. They did do some TB crosses as well as the pure Arab breedings they are known for, but I am not enough of a TB historian to know if those lines are still extant. You can read more about the Arabian side here: http://cmkarabians.com/2006/07/05/the-gsb-arabians/
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

I really, really doubt that mare is anything close to 45. I don't think the owner is being deliberately deceitful; the whole issue could be explained by a mix-up with the papers as someone already mentioned.

This has been a very informative thread, though.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Am I missing something? They posted her registration in the comments and it says she's 'gray' - but the picture is certainly not of a grayed-out horse.

Now, further in the photo album, you have to see this!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

ETA - finally got page 2 to load, I see others had the same question and more info. But while searching for a second photo of the mare, I did find the one above.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Remember the Irish Draught that recently died? I don't remember how old, maybe 50? He definitely looked like an old man. I have a 33 year old and while she still has beautiful muscle tone, you can see it in her back and face.

HorsesinHaiti....not sure if I'd laugh or cry if my horses got *that* filthy!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    HorsesinHaiti....not sure if I'd laugh or cry if my horses got *that* filthy!
    I'd cry.
    Then drag out the hose.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    old style Arab, hundredacres! They were real horses before the halter people got hold of them and turned them into caricatures. Tough as nails.
    This is fabulous!! Isn't it a shame that the 'halter horse' is not a prime example of what the breed should be. Give me the old style any day ...ALL breeds!

In the QHs many are crippled before they are 4 because of TINY feet and pig fat bodies - not even pretty in my opinion!!

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    That's awesome. I have a 33 year old TB that looks pretty amazing, but she's not giving any rides (I keep saying I'll start riding her again because she's absolutely fine).

As a side, that mare doesn't look Arab at all - I'm no Arab expert but it looks like an old style QH to me.
    That's because so many Arabs today are bred with only two things in mind: a head that looks like a dwarfish distortion and a neck that looks like it belongs on a giraffe. I was shocked when I reviewed a recent show catalogue of classes...won't tell you which one, you'll have to check it out, but it is easy enough to find...and they had a myriad of halter classes but oh-so-very-few actual performance classes. This to showcase a versatile breed??? Many have lost their versatility and function because of the head-hunters. Rear ends are puny and legs are weak. We all have to remember one thing: we cannot ride the head.

Wish they could clone this mare! I'd be on board! She could well and truly bring back the older style of Arabian. Ah, if only!

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    My Arab looks like that (except for his dropped back,he's 25).
    He's from racing bloodlines. His head is larger than my TB, he's long through the back and has an "apple" butt. He does have really big feet and cute Arab ears though. The first breed show I took him to, someone asked what he was a cross of
    Yes, my 1979 purebred Egyptian, now deceased best friend, was also from a racing line. Helluva jumper, just about point-and-shoot with very little training.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    I would like to see proof. This guy is in my neck of the woods and I have heard that he can tell tall tales. I don't know that for sure, but I am VERY skeptical.
    Ya know, I don't care if he IS flat out lying. If he is, and the mare is younger, somebody get him to breed that mare to something similar if they can find it!

I had an older style mare who ran in the Old Dominion race and took second, but I got her as an older gal, abandoned with laminitis on a rented farm when the tenants vacated and I could not get her to settle in foal, even off live cover... *sigh* She too was one hell of a horse until people ruined her. She was still able to give little kids pleasure riding her, though.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    This is fabulous!! Isn't it a shame that the 'halter horse' is not a prime example of what the breed should be. Give me the old style any day ...ALL breeds!

In the QHs many are crippled before they are 4 because of TINY feet and pig fat bodies - not even pretty in my opinion!!
    Don't forget steroids in that list.