The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Meet the Oldest Registered Arabian in America - 45 and Still Trail Riding!

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Love it. Makes me sad for the wonderful ├Âldies"who are tossed away because of their age.

3 members found this post helpful.

A friend just lost her 42 year old AQHA gelding this spring.
    She had him since he was 2, started him under saddle and competed successfully with him and later so did her daughter, until they retired him.
    He was finally looking older the past year, but still happy and healthy, until this spring.

In that picture, she doesn't look like an old horse at all.
    Guess we may say, she is aging well.

How cool! Too bad at her age she can't be bred anymore...bet she has some great bloodlines there!

Wow, that 45 year old mare looks awesome! She must have great genetics and excellent care on her side.

My arabian is 19 and is going to her first HT this weekend after learning to jump a little over a year ago. I have her on Pentosan and MSM because she's a hard working pony but she's sound as a dollar otherwise.

Fabulous! I love older horses.

My oldest guy was a TB that passed at 36 a few years ago.
    In his early twenties he had colic surgery to save his life. Vets told me most owners would not have paid for a surgery at his age....I looked into his eyes and I told the vets...he wants to live!

2 members found this post helpful.

That's awesome. I have a 33 year old TB that looks pretty amazing, but she's not giving any rides (I keep saying I'll start riding her again because she's absolutely fine).

As a side, that mare doesn't look Arab at all - I'm no Arab expert but it looks like an old style QH to me.

That's awesome. I have a 33 year old TB that looks pretty amazing, but she's not giving any rides (I keep saying I'll start riding her again because she's absolutely fine).

As an aside, that mare doesn't look Arab at all - I'm no Arab expert but it looks like an old style QH to me.

That horse looks fantastic. I have Arabians and showed this to my husband to scare him.

10 members found this post helpful.

old style Arab, hundredacres! They were real horses before the halter people got hold of them and turned them into caricatures. Tough as nails.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    old style Arab, hundredacres! They were real horses before the halter people got hold of them and turned them into caricatures. Tough as nails.
    Oh wow! I love the old style then

When I saw the mare's picture, I thought that maybe she had some nice substantial older Polish or Russian bloodlines in her.

2 members found this post helpful.

Actually, it's likely she's not 45. See this three-year-old article and the comment at the bottom about Bint Suteza. This mare is not Bint Suteza--but she's a good horse in her own right.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/...hot-to-trot/2/

Meant to add, the old American Arabian bloodlines are pretty substantial too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    Actually, it's likely she's not 45. See this three-year-old article and the comment at the bottom about Bint Suteza. This mare is not Bint Suteza--but she's a good horse in her own right.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/...hot-to-trot/2/

Meant to add, the old American Arabian bloodlines are pretty substantial too.
    That link goes to a web site that seized my computer, better watch it.

I had to log clear out to get back on COTH.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    As an aside, that mare doesn't look Arab at all - I'm no Arab expert but it looks like an old style QH to me.
    My Arab looks like that (except for his dropped back,he's 25).
    He's from racing bloodlines. His head is larger than my TB, he's long through the back and has an "apple" butt. He does have really big feet and cute Arab ears though. The first breed show I took him to, someone asked what he was a cross of

My Arabian mare also looks more like this horse, or a bit like a smaller, more substantial TB (Arabs are the basis for the TB breed)with a nice but not overly small or refined head-----does not look anything like the wild-eyed seahorses on toothpick legs that the Halter People(as I call them) turned the Arabian breed into in the 80's.

She comes from Russian/Polish/Crabbett(English) stock. These were racehorses, not bred to be "pretty". It's fun to be able to trace her ancestry and see photos of her ancestors from the early 20th century, desert imported, etc...they look like this accomplished elderly mare, and my horse, not the recent stereotype.

She reminds me of Abu Farwa. He was long-lived, but 45...wow.

http://www.geocities.ws/kandimajik/AbuFarwa.html

I love hearing stories like this! The oldest horse I ever knew was a mare who lived until a 42. I also know a horse of an unknown age (we believe around 36 or so) who is still jumping around like nobody's business (over small jumps), and can still pretty fresh, too! He's a great guy.

45 years old and still being trail ridden by an adult? No photos of the horse when it was younger? Sorry but I'm skeptical. I'm sure it's a lovely horse no matter what it's she is.