The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default John Deere Lawn Tractors

Does anyone have a JD D170 or D140 (or smaller) that they use around the farm for mowing, snow blowing, and pulling a small cart? Can you get a bucket for this little machine that might be used to push up the manure pile, or would that be too big of a job for it?

We are looking for something small enough to mow around the house but not sure if we should get a dedicated mower (like a zero turn) or something with multiple applications. We have an atv witha pull behind mower for the pasture but that doesn't turn well enough to use around the house. We could get a snow plow/blower for the atv so that is an option as well.

I guess I'm mostly just looking for reviews at this point.

We have no tractor experience so we're not feeling up to getting a real-actual-tractor yet.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

JD has these little subcompacts that are a good step up from the old riding mowers, about the same horse power, but much more versatile, more attachments, etc.

These come from little ones to a bit more hefty machines, all still very small, for some uses like you are talking about:

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/.../1_series.page

I had one of those for a while, when I kept having surgeries and could not do much, it kept me getting things done, but it really was not enough tractor to do what I needed once in full work and already have a large tractor, so don't have it any more.
    Sold it after some use for exactly what I paid, the well cared JD equipment has that advantage.
    I sure liked it, worked very well for light work and has a front end loader and pallet points that are wonderful.
    Also has a million other attachments, rakes, snowblowers, all kinds of blades, rototillers, you name it, there is something for it.

If you later need more tractor, it is easy to trade up, if you don't need it any more, easy to re-sell.

1 members found this post helpful.

The subcompacts are fantastic fun! Pricey, but like Bluey said they hold their value. However you do still need to come up with the money first...or finance. The newer 1026R model is like having an adult Tonka toy, I had so much fun a the dealership with one that they almost had to pry me off of it. But you are looking at more than a $10k investment. It's a little tractor, not much bigger than a lawnmower, so very easy to get used to if you've never had a tractor before and it's extremely user-friendly. If you're going with a lawnmower, go to a dealership and look at the "real" ones, not the wimpy crappy big box store models. I have the X300 for the lawn, same reason as OP stated: my smaller tractor can do a great job mowing but it's not good for lawns. Turning ratio is too big plus I need Ag tires for my property and those chew up lawns. The smaller, cheaper mowers won't have the weight or oomph for plowing more than a coupe inches of snow or the power to move manure. They pull pretty well but pushing isn't their forte. But if you get the little bucket you can scoop and move the manure a little at a time.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I lust after a One Series - almost bought one last year when I took the riding mower in for repairs but JD sales guy talked me out of it - saying that the baby-deere I had has as least 20 years left in it and since it's handle my needs thus far I should repair vs spending 5-6 times more on the One

(still really want one, just don't really need one)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I have a D140 (I think, it definitely isn't bigger than the 170) and I use it around my farm for mowing, including my pastures, pulling the sweeper, and pulling my Newer Spreader. I just got it last August and so far, so good. I'm on the gulf coast, so no snow. I hadn't thought about a front end attachment... I haven't looked closely but I'm not sure the design of the front end lends itself to easily attach anything.
    I love that little mower. I can golf-green cut my front yard, and just whack down my pastures when they need it on a higher setting. And it definitely doesn't have a problem hauling a fully loaded (8+ cu.ft.) manure spreader filled with heavy composted manure.
    My dad has a JD mower (don't remember the model, but similar to what I've got) that has lasted him like 15 years.

JD 1 Series or Kubota BX Series are what you want if you want to do "real work" with a small tractor. The JD branded "lawn tractors" are not of the same ilk as the more capable machines.

Personally, I have a Kubota BX series to do work around our property and use a ZTR for mowing.

Kubota currently has financing available for zero down 0% for 60 months...cant beat that with a stick!

I definitely agree that the subcompacts are soooo much more useful than fitting a mower out for chores. However, the subcompact tractors aren't the best for mowing lawns if you need to turn around landscaping or trees, etc. Turning ratio too wide. But they really do rock for small property care. The mowers do mostly rock at pulling heavy stuff. I had an oak branch come down last year that was the size of a small tree. Too heavy to lift manually. Instead of using one of the tractors I tossed a rope around one end and tied the other off on the trailer hitch of the mower and that mower had *no* problems dragging it off the lawn, up a small hill and then down into the woods. That was easily 300-350 lb branch. I was impressed. Not sure how easy it is to put on any attachments to a mower, I do know it's simple as heck with the newer little 2023 tractor I have. Between the iMatch for the rear, the drive-on-and-go mowing deck and that I can snap off a couple hoses, pull 2 switches and then drive out or in to the FEL...I can swap out anything/everything in minutes without ANY strength used and often never getting off of the tractor. Should have retro-fitted the bigger 33DA NH with something similar for the rear at least.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have a JD G110 and a Commercial Toro zero-turn. Use zero turn to mow about 1 ac lawn. It is fast and good at getting around things. They are useless for attachments, hauling and get stuck easy. Not so good for mowing the 2 ac pasture.

The G110 is a garden tractor not a sub compact proper tractor! It is good at mowing but not as fast as the zero turn. It excels in mowing the pasture and can tow a small trailer. I may be able to use small attachments like a box blade and an arena drag. So good for light farm chores. Not a proper subcompact tractor because it won't do everything regular tractors will do; no front loader for example.

I need a proper tractor but can't do it right now. I picked up the JD used for way under its value because it has issues. Mechanic husband is fixing! I looked briefly at sub compact and they seemed to be more than a normal size tractor. There advantage is size! They are better for small properties, maneuver in tight areas.

Not all JD models can handle the attachments so be sure to look into it first.
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

Just a couple of observations. I have a JD 2305 and an L118 -- the 2305 is a compact utility tractor and the L118 is one of those so-called cheapie lawn tractors from a big box store. I also have 17 acres of pasture and 4 horses.

Well ... I got the L118 in 2006 and for 3 years it was the only "tractor" I had. That thing got HARD use. The only attachment I have for it is a dump cart. I mowed the fields with it (way over its head, but hey, it was all I had!). I cleaned stalls into the dump cart and then "spread" the manure in the fields from it. I bought an ATV-type sprayer unit and plopped it into the dump cart along with a battery and sprayed the fence rows. That little tractor took a licking! And, seven years later, it still runs like a top! It doesn't have to work as hard now that the 2305 is on the job, but we use it all the time and it still mows great.

So much for the "cheapie" big-box-store JD's not being worth much. I believe I paid $1,500 for it (though can't recall for sure). Worth it's weight in gold that little guy! And for someone for whom $1,500 was a stretch at the time, it was truly a godsend!

The 2305 has a brushhog on the PTO in back and an FEL on the hydraulics in front. We use this tractor to mow fields now, and occasionally the yard as well if the rains don't let up and the grass gets ahead of us.

We carry ... everything ... with the FEL. DH is 66 and I am 56, so the 2305 tractor is the muscle around here. We have plowed out our 1/4 mile road during blizzards, hauled and spread gravel and stone dust, carried "junk" to a dumpster, removed fence posts and even concreted-in clothes line posts (that was hard on it), mucked into it, dumped into and turned the compost pile -- at one point we were even trying to figure out a way to lift King with it (using a sling) if necessary (fortunately, we never had to do that).

Got the 2305 from the local JD dealer with 0% financing and now she's paid off and all ours. I believe the whole package with brush hog and FEL was $15,000.

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary.

Thanks everyone. I really need something small for mowing around the house. I think I need about 4 different machines to do everything <sigh>.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone. I really need something small for mowing around the house. I think I need about 4 different machines to do everything <sigh>.
    or a bobcat (I lust after one of these too)
    http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/
    they seem to have an attachment for everything but brewing coffee

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    or a bobcat (I lust after one of these too)
    http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/
    they seem to have an attachment for everything but brewing coffee
    How does the mower attach -- is it a pull-behind? I already have a pull-behind mower and it's too cumbersome for mowing around the house.
    Jigga:

think it depend on what type of vehicle it attaches to - they have tractors, utility vehicles, etc

We have 23+ acres, so equipment around here has to multi-task. That means Zero turns stay on display at the store

We have a 1969 Ford 3000 farm tractor for bushogging. We bought it at an estate auction. We are second owners and it's in excellent condition, although some parts are getting to be scarcer than Hen's Teeth and therefore very pricey.

I love love love my 2005 sub-compact John Deere 4110. I am second owner and I have lost count of how many times it's paid for itself since I bought it in 2007. The JD has a front loader and 60" belly mower. I never take the front loader off, as it seems I occasionally "need" to rip out a tree stump somewhere along the mowing route

We also have a 25 HP Huskie lawn tractor with a 50" deck that we bought new at Tractor Supply in 2004. It does all the "tight" mowing and the poor thing has earned its keep in ways I'm sure it never imagined.

Where anything bigger than a lawn tractor is concerned, it's a huge advantage to buy used and let someone else take the initial $$$ loss --- just as long as someone in your family is mechanically inclined and able to perform a little-more-than-normal maintenance.

I reach for the oxygen when Mr. WTW announces "it's beyond me", as he built his bracket racer from the ground up, mechanically speaking.