The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Completed our first prelim!

Well, we did it! I entered/completed my first prelim on my boy (and it was his first time at the level too!)

Dressage... one day i'll get over my off-course-itis and be able to ride my horse, not just the movemet. Did not show him to his full potential at all. However I give myself credit that I didn't stop riding positively when I made an error. Its a start but have tons to improve. I swear one day I wont look like a 6ft turtle riding a wet noodle.

Stadium. Had a great round, quiet, relaxed. Had one rail at the skinny after the one stride and a little slip between fence 8 and 9 but my horse jumped fantastic. Probably one of the best rounds I've had!

XC. My horse couldn't care less about the fences. Pretty much rode like a hack in the park... which explains the bajillion time penalties I got us. At least now I know we're comfortable with the fences and opening his stride wont take much at all. I also need to practice just galloping the fences and not setting up so much and wasting time. I was so happy with the round and how the weekend went though- a great learning experience for the both of us!

Pics:
    Stadium

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psecacf939.jpg

XC Table

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps2577a6e5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psd2bd0d87.jpg

Keener at the Train

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps8a4ae517.jpg

Finishing with a sparkle in his eye

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps6001d695.jpg

Couldn't be happier

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psbdb4314b.jpg

Overall we ended up 4th. It was a small division but I got to compete with some great riders and horses. Everyone is fantastic to compete with, I think we all had mostly good weekends for the first event of the season.

(My friend took the photos- i'm lucky to have someone who can make us look so good!)

6 members found this post helpful.

WOOT! You go girl! I know already said congrats but awesome job! Love that last pic of you and the handsome boy!

P.

You guys look awesome. I love the simple tack and the relaxed expressions. Just perfect for your first time at a new level, and ain't nothin' wrong with a few penalties to show for that! Congrats
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Wow, your horse is gorgeous, he looked so relaxed like he was just out for a stroll. I love the first photo the best. Great job!
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Seriously you two look fantastic.
    I ADORE your boy! He has the Look! Smart and hey no biggie!
    LOVE the stadium pic, Actually love them all. Congrats. Just awesome, your smile says it all!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

MY hero!!! You two look fabulous! That is a very big deal - congratulations!

Who taught you to ride? You have a lovely, giving, following contact over your fences. Nice riding and a very nice horse.

Congratulations on your event. Who cares how many time faults you had? You got around your first Prelim and looked terrific doing it!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Huge Congrats! It looks like you guys had a blast. So when is your second prelim? ;-)

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Lovely horse and rider. Prelim looks like a walk in the park for both of you. Congrats on an awesome ride!

Congrats, what a great stadium pic!

Congrats, looks like you did your homework before moving up to Prelim. You both look comfortable and confident, well done.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Congrats, it's a big move up. Well done!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Congratulations! Can't wait to see you later on in the season at GP
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Wow! Super nice. That's my goal (someday) but I don't think I'll look quite that good! Background is not in H/J by any chance, is it?

1 members found this post helpful.

Lovely!!!!

Congratulations!!! It looks like it was a lovely ride!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Thanks everyone!

I may have drooled a little bit myself when my friend showed me the photo of my horse in stadium... Don't get pics like that too often.

Riderboy- Sometimes im not quite sure what my background is... I'm sort of a learning eventer, who works in the H/J industry, but really prefers to event! I hope I get to take the best from both worlds to either side. Trust me, the H/J vs Eventing threads always make me laugh!

I work/mentor with a few awesome trainers. The lady I train for used to event before converting to H/J, so understands my passion but knows how to school for the best of both rings. The trainer who helps me with the flat is very classical- no short cuts! He is wonderful and I swear my horse gives his all anytime we lesson with him- he's the only one who can get my horse to sweat. I school once a year in a clinic with Nick Holmes-Smith in BC, though I swear this year I am going to school XC more then once! They all seem to get that I am some strange hybrid classical-H/J-eventer now, and have complimentary teaching styles.

Aloan is one that came in to get started and I slowly fell in love... He's bred to jump (Coconut Grove out of an Indoctro mare) and there was just something that really clicked with me that i've not gotten from any of the others before or since. So bought and basically prayed that when I would get a chance to school XC he would like it! We didn't do too much the first two years, just puttered around at BN and N, last year we did a N then moved to T, this event is actually just his 12th now that i've counted... We like our homework though. Pretty sure he would be more then happy to move up again if I didn't want more experience! I'm not sure I'll ever have a horse quite like him again but I think we work well as a team and give each other confidence to get the job done. I'm looking forward to our next at the end of the month!

Very nice, congrats!

Really cool photos. Congrats, you guys look like an awesome team!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I saw your stadium picture and immediately thought "here's another RF Amber Eyes > Commentary candidate".
    (That's supposed to be a compliment. ) It seriously looks like a hunter derby photo.
    You guys look fabulous. I agree with the poster who commented on your soft ride; it's very inspiring to see such a great feel and kind softness with the horse.