The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting urine stains out of white socks??

I always dreamt of a bay with a white blaze and 4 high white socks. I finally ended up with one...and now for the life of me can't imagine why I wanted a horse with white socks!! To make it worse they are beautiful white (er...yellow) feathers. I refuse to clip them as she looks exactly like a shrunken Clydesdale with her poofy little socks and they suit her so well! However after a long winter with no wash stall I need to figure out how to get them white again! I'm scrubbing away with Quicksilver and the highly recommended Jermack Silver shampoo. It got the less "set in" stains but her hind legs are still pee stained. Grrrrrrr. Any tips for getting her feathers white again?!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Castile soap

Lots of ways, but it's hard to just do it once and get great results. Goop hand cleaner is good and so is a paste of Oxy-clean (can sting the horse, though--be careful) or even straight peroxide. Mix shampoo with a few drops of bluing. You have to keep up with it, though. Lots of show sheen can help shed stains and IME so does feeding flax.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jun. 12, 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typos
    Click here before you buy.

Head & Shoulders shampoo
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I use Goop as well. The kind in the white container. It is applied dry and allowed to sit for a while, I usually go about five minutes but some people leave it on much longer. Then add shampoo and scrub without adding water. Once you get a good lather you finally add water and rinse it off.

I keep my four socked guy clipped, so not sure how effective this will be for long hair, but what I use is a mix of Orvus powder and betadine scrub. Yep, orangey iodine soap! I think I read about the concoction here on COTH. But it works great for whites. Don't leave on or it might stain, and I've heard some people (so probably horses too) can be sensitive to betadine, but I'm not and I've not had an issue with my horses. I found this works much better than Quiksilver.

I tried betadine on a tail once--got the stains out OK but the tail didn't want to come white. Worked OK on socks. Quite harsh on the hair, though.

Orvus and a couple of drops of bluing kicks the PANTS off Quiksilver for some reason. If you let it sit for a while you may think "oh no, the white parts have turned blue!" but after a day or so the blue goes away and you're left with a nice white.

If you want to go extreme, there are hard-core hair dye kits, messy but very effective, that will turn already-light hair, stained or no, VERY white. You want to start with the hair as CLEAN as possible, and condition well before and after.

http://www.amazon.com/Manic-Panic-Li...white+hair+dye

Dawn dish detergent. I use the pump bottle so I don't overdose on the detergent. Apply, let sit a minute or two and rinse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the tips!! Today I did the Goop! Definitely helped! There are still some stubborn stains but I don't think the are going anywhere unfortunately:-( I rubbed goop on dry, really scrubbed, left it sit for 10 minutes, then I put on Quicksilver shampoo, scrubbed more, then conditioned them! Thanks so much!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Getting urine stains out of white socks..... Stop peeing in your boots Sorry couldn't resist.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

5 members found this post helpful.

OP, I would love to see a picture. She sounds adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by lpcutter View Post
    Getting urine stains out of white socks..... Stop peeing in your boots Sorry couldn't resist.
    I have been fighting the urge to post something similar ever since I saw the subject line yesterday!

Try some hydrogen peroxide? I know it's great at getting other organic stains out, like blood. I don't know how it works on really set in stuff though, but it's cheap enough to try

Oooh, on that note of bubbly stuff - I wonder if you could slather the hair with a baking soda paste, let sit for a while, then start spritzing with white vinegar.

Peroxide works well but you do have to let it sit and it is BRUTAL on the hair. OxyClean (same principle) paste also works well but can sting. My pinto has a hissy fit if I try it. For his sensitive self I stick with keeping up with spot-treatment of his stained gaskins/stifles (thank GOD his tail is black) and bluing in the shampoo.

Another trick that works to keep his white COAT gleaming is a very, very dilute solution of Blu-Kote (yep, the wound stuff) in water, sprayed on after every bath. Never tried it on his legs, though, which are all white. The legs are treated SPECIALLY. The coat stays good (other than the stifles) with just regular grooming, flax in the diet, and the Blu-Kote spray after bathing.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jun. 13, 2013 at 07:32 PM.