The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips for dealing with aggresive cat

So, Handsome (yes that is his name and yes he is and yes my child named him and no we can't change his name) charmed his way into our household... vet says he's a year old... he is now neutered (at least a month maybe two or three... time flies) and has had his shots. At first he got along well with my other two cats... 10 year old black and white male and his sister tortie w/ white points.

Well... now that he is nicely settled in and I've spend a few hundred dollars on him and fallen in love with him, Handsome has decided to engage in fighting with the others... especially the girl... as many tortoiseshells she's got moments of complete insanity. But generally is a great cat. She does tend to growl at him first and if she'd stop he probably wouldn't have so much fun tormenting her.

Handsome also attacks feet in bed and will run by and jump out and do his best imitation of an attacking jungle cat. I typically have on jeans and can spot him coming so it's not that big of a deal. BUT my wimpy child on many occasions ends up screaming and pointing at Handsome while proclaiming "HE DID IT!!!"

Fact of the matter is... I have no intentions of "getting rid of" Handsome. That being said, I would love to have him not so aggressive acting.

Any suggestions?

One person has suggested to play with him till he's exhausted... burn the energy out of him. We've gotten some cat toys and he loves to play with them, but it is hard to get get him worked enough to sleep well.

"Behavior Water" has been suggested, but I don't always have the squirt bottle and getting 4 year old human to understand is a little challenging. Plus the girl has been squirted almost as many times as Handsome because she is the one who starts it.

I don't want to declaw him. He's an inside outside cat... so I want him to be able to protect himself.

I've been trying to keep Handsome and Punkin separated as much as possible... if one is in the other is out.

I've even debated getting another youngster for him to play with, but knowing my luck that wouldn't work.

Any ideas?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

The "behavior water" isn't forever so one way to handle it might be to control access to situations and be armed when Mr. Handsome is out and about. A drink can with pebbles also is a deterrent but having it at hand would again be the issue. Can you set up a situation?

Default Hopefully, he will grow out of it

I have two neutered males, both recent acquisitions. The one without claws seems to be the agitator. The younger tabby was taken aback at first, but now he can squabble with the best of them. Is he 'singing' loudly, ending in a scream? if not he is just being a goof. Since I have no idea how old either of mine are, I just marvel at active, lively cats.
    I second the squirt bottle if he is really angry, or chasing an unresponsive puss around.
    Another killer of threads

I'm following this thread in the hopes I'll pick up some extra hints for my 4 Tasmanian devil kittens—like the OP, I have yet to tire them out enough for reliable good behavior!

One thing my vet told me (regarding another cat) was that with cats, the one growling and making ugly noises is actually the victim, not the bully. So your tortie is probably not starting it at all—just reacting to Handsome's threats. I know that doesn't help with your issue, but at least you'll know who the instigator really is.

I did have good luck making two squabbling cats wear the kittie-pheromone collars sold at Petsmart. They look like purple flea collars. After about a week, all the aggression had disappeared. The collars did make me nervous, though, because there's no quick-release feature and I was afraid one of the cats would hang themselves somehow.

Good luck! I'll bet he settles down with age.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    I'm following this thread in the hopes I'll pick up some extra hints for my 4 Tasmanian devil kittens—like the OP, I have yet to tire them out enough for reliable good behavior!

One thing my vet told me (regarding another cat) was that with cats, the one growling and making ugly noises is actually the victim, not the bully. So your tortie is probably not starting it at all—just reacting to Handsome's threats. I know that doesn't help with your issue, but at least you'll know who the instigator really is.

I did have good luck making two squabbling cats wear the kittie-pheromone collars sold at Petsmart. They look like purple flea collars. After about a week, all the aggression had disappeared. The collars did make me nervous, though, because there's no quick-release feature and I was afraid one of the cats would hang themselves somehow.

Good luck! I'll bet he settles down with age.
    Hmmm... the kitty pheromone colors might be worth a try... I was wondering if there was maybe some sort of "herbal" treatment or "rescue remedy"

Punky is most definitely the victim... but I think if she'd just shut her mouth and be quiet he's quit picking on her. He's like the little boy who is in love with the girl so he picks on her.

Rascal our black and white male is just chill and he and Handsome have less altercations.

My poor lab even backs down to Handsome. Which honestly is kind of funny to see an 80 lb dog averting his gaze and refusing to walk by.

I'm really hoping he'll outgrow it! I do love Handsome. He is an awesome cat... I figure he got dumped off because he was aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I have two neutered males, both recent acquisitions. The one without claws seems to be the agitator. The younger tabby was taken aback at first, but now he can squabble with the best of them. Is he 'singing' loudly, ending in a scream? if not he is just being a goof. Since I have no idea how old either of mine are, I just marvel at active, lively cats.
    I second the squirt bottle if he is really angry, or chasing an unresponsive puss around.
    I don't think he really makes that noise... so, that is a good thing!!!

He is one goofy kitty! He helps me feed... tries to pick on the big dog... plays big jungle predator in the overgrown weeds... and is learning how to fence walk... pretty funny to see a full grown cat wobbling... he obviously did not grow up a barn cat! I love him, but he needs to mellow out before Punky completely loses her mind... one day she was growling and trying to attack the air and there was nobody close to her!!! I also don't think my child needs any more cuts and scrapes... he does well enough obtaining them on his own and doesn't need any feline assistance!

Prozac. He sounds like our psycho kitty Webern. Webern was a year and a half old when we got him, and still intact, and clearly a street cat. My husband almost returned him to the SPCA after a few months because even after neutering, he kept getting upset at seeing a cat outside and redirecting aggression onto attacking my husband (this was before we moved in together). When we moved in together and combined Webern and my two cats, one of whom is a calico (completely convinced that calicos/torties are their own specially insane breed), fur flew.

Eventually, to some extent, he did grow out of it, mostly after my one cat passed away and we got a new cat who is higher energy and is now the one stalking Webern. But the Prozac helps hugely. If he goes off it for any length of time, the fighting increases, he sprays, and he acts obsessive and stalker-y about my husband. With Prozac, he's still the same psycho kitty, but with only occasional fights or spraying and much less "Fatal Attraction."

We also use Feliway and Rescue Remedy, but even Feliway diffusers in every damn room didn't make a difference without the Prozac/fluoxetine. If your vet does prescribe it, btw, get the prescription filled at a drugstore--way cheaper.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

I am following t his with interest as I have one of those! He attacks the other kitty (we now live separate but equal) and me and my husband. He will bite, as in love "nips" and as in full on flesh shredding attacks.
    We have tried water bottles but I am just not willing at this point and it did NOT help our relationship. He would just take it, get so wet and just look at me like I was betraying him. so I quit that (and his aggression did not stop with them anyway)
    tried the collars to no effect.
    tried the feliway things - i think it helped the OTHER kitty but certainly not him!
    also tried a wet washcloth on his face when he aggresses at night (feet, bare skin, etc) . That is one thing that slows him down!

I am considering prozac ( one vet had mentioned getting his canines, which are truly enormous) removed and we are NOT doing that) to see if the medication helps.

My guy is just....aggressive or something. He will be purring happily on one's lap, then (still purring) just turn his head and chomp down hard on your leg. Still purring. He will purr happily beside one while watching TV, then stretch himself along until he is in position and bite, hard. then rub his head on your leg (or whatever body part) as though he wants to be petted. Purrs away.

My cat from hell, the program with Jackson is awesome. I would love to install screen doors in the house and feed the cats so they can see each other and some of his other suggestions. Its a great show if you can't seen it. Its been awile but I am going to try to watch it again for ideas.

He got along fine with one old bitchy femaleI had who gave as good as she got from him, but i had to rehome my other female to my mom, as he just chased her (never really attacked her but dominated her and pestered her and made her life miserable).

I adore him,truly. And he really is MY cat, follows me, sleeps with me, is usually right next to me, but he is not as easy cat to live with. Glad for the prozac reminder.

I will be looking forward to other suggestions as well!

Regarding other herbal treatments—I've been told that essence of lavender (one drop on the top of the head) is also helpful for aggression, but I haven't tried it. FWIW, the pheromone collars I use have lavender scent on them, so there may be something to the claims.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I was talking to a friend of mine who has worked at quite a few boarding/grooming/vet hospitals and picked her brain... she said that she's heard lavender works (but hasn't tried it). She also mentioned rescue remedy & http://www.feliway.us/

Holy Moly, HAndsome And Punkin??
    HAndsome is my male grey and white Kitty, and Punkin was my heart Kitty for 16 years gone 3 years now.
    Talk about coincidence.
    IS he neutered? Is he young? Does he get to go outside?
    Is he mean and growly when you go to pet him?
    I do not know if this will help but look up Jackson Galaxy used to have a show called my cat from hell. The guy is an amazing behaviorist.
    I also agree to get a good interactive toy like "DA Bird" And wear is butt down, daily. They need the play time.
    Too funny about the same names.
    For the Record, My departed Punkin was a monster, hated everyone but me.
    Handsome id a total dufous , I call him "Geebs" IF cats can be retarded, he is.But one of the sweetest cats ever. And by the way, His name is a joke for us.. he is anything but!
    OH I forgot to add, FELAWAY. It is a NAtural Phermone that calms cats, you can get it probably cheaper on the net, It plugs into a wall socket much like those air freshners. It really helped me this winter when the 3 cats had cabin fever.

The rx for all these cases, according to the My Cat from Hell dude, is play with the cat til he is laying on his side panting. He usually includes kids so the two species have something fun to do together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    The rx for all these cases, according to the My Cat from Hell dude, is play with the cat til he is laying on his side panting. He usually includes kids so the two species have something fun to do together.
    YUP! That is who I was referring to, Jackson Galaxy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Holy Moly, HAndsome And Punkin??
    HAndsome is my male grey and white Kitty, and Punkin was my heart Kitty for 16 years gone 3 years now.
    Talk about coincidence.
    IS he neutered? Is he young? Does he get to go outside?
    Is he mean and growly when you go to pet him?
    I do not know if this will help but look up Jackson Galaxy used to have a show called my cat from hell. The guy is an amazing behaviorist.
    I also agree to get a good interactive toy like "DA Bird" And wear is butt down, daily. They need the play time.
    Too funny about the same names.
    For the Record, My departed Punkin was a monster, hated everyone but me.
    Handsome id a total dufous , I call him "Geebs" IF cats can be retarded, he is.But one of the sweetest cats ever. And by the way, His name is a joke for us.. he is anything but!
    OH I forgot to add, FELAWAY. It is a NAtural Phermone that calms cats, you can get it probably cheaper on the net, It plugs into a wall socket much like those air freshners. It really helped me this winter when the 3 cats had cabin fever.
    Too crazy... you haven't had a Rascal have you?

I'll have to share more later... If this works... here is a photo of Handsome- https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...40798890_n.jpg

Here is a pic of Punkin as a youngster- http://www.leakycreek.com/modules.ph...view_photo.php

I hate trying to find pics on FB and of course my website hasn't been updated for quite a while, but you get the idea.

I have a couple that are a year and a half but weren't raised in the house and will chase my feet when I go to bed. Last night, Gracie brought me a toy mouse right after I had gone to bed so I threw it for her for a bit (she fetches ). So, if he likes toy mice, maybe a supply beside the bed. Kitty shows an interest in feet, throw mouse, lather rinse and repeat for a few minutes until kitty isn't showing an interest in feet anymore. Just an idea. YMMV.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Here is the story of Handsome. I had seen him hanging around a few days before my son spotted him. I give passerby kitties some food... I feel the deserve a meal. This cat decided to stick around. He also was getting along with my cats. Rascal usually chases off ones he doesn't like. In hindsight, Handsome was probably too persistent and Rascal finally gave up!

Coming home one evening my son saw him. He is four and LOVES animals, especially cats! He was so excited. I wasn't thinking and said, "Hey, Handsome. Come here!" Kitty came over.

Kiddo declared we needed to name him. I said we don't name cats unless they let us pet them. I'm not wasting good names on animals that don't stick.

Thirty seconds later, cat walks up to my son and lets him start petting him.

Kiddo declares, "HIS NAME IS HANDSOME!!!"

I said... "Hhow about a different name??? Don't you think another name would suit him better?"

"NO!!!!! His name is HANDSOME!!!"

And that is how he came to become Handsome.

Handsome of course violates my sacred rule of naming that I don't want to sound like an idiot if I'm out at midnight calling for the animal.

Sigh.

Handsome was such a sweet kitty and in good shape, so we thought he might belong to somebody in the neighborhood, but that was not the case. I'm assuming somebody dumped him because he plays too rough.... or because he had reached the age where his pee STINKS!!!

He has since been neutered and finally his urine doesn't reek enough to stink up the whole house! It was RANK!!!

IS he neutered? Now... I guess about two months or so now.

Is he young? About a year is what the vet said

Does he get to go outside? Yes

Is he mean and growly when you go to pet him? No, he's a love bug but will use his teeth and claws... as in... pet me or I bite you or don't stop petting... munch... to get attention. It was like nobody ever taught him that it is socially unacceptable to use teeth and claws on humans (or the other cats).

Sounds like he was taken from his litter to early, and then did not learn how to play with claws sheathed. This is a very important lesson kitties learn from siblings and Mom. He may get better as he gets older, but he may not. Jackson Galaxy has successfully helped several such cats adapt to living with people and other cats.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    Too crazy... you haven't had a Rascal have you?

I'll have to share more later... If this works... here is a photo of Handsome- https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...40798890_n.jpg

Here is a pic of Punkin as a youngster- http://www.leakycreek.com/modules.ph...view_photo.php

I hate trying to find pics on FB and of course my website hasn't been updated for quite a while, but you get the idea.
    Nope no RASCAL. LO?L
    Fortunately they look nothing alike, or it would be really strange.
    Punkin was a tiger tabby with white feet, and Handsome is Grey and white.
    I NEver can figure out how to post pics!
    Trying this..If it works it is handsome.
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...psaa9bfa15.jpg
    And this was my heart Kitty Punkin.
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...Album/571e.jpg
    Last edited by Sannois; Jun. 16, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Awww... lovely kitties! Thanks for sharing!

Nope no RASCAL. LO?L
    Fortunately they look nothing alike, or it would be really strange.
    Punkin was a tiger tabby with white feet, and Handsome is Grey and white.
    I NEver can figure out how to post pics!
    Trying this..If it works it is handsome.
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...psaa9bfa15.jpg
    And this was my heart Kitty Punkin.
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...Album/571e.jpg

Hi - We have our 3 year old cat on Amitriptyline. It's an anti anxiety med that can be applied to the ear 1x a day (unless someone wanted to lose an eye ball no way were we giving her a daily pill). Our "problem child" is/was friendly with our other cat - cleaning the other 3 year old female while she eats - cuddling with her in the window. This other cat is probably the sweetest gentlest animal alive (think 20lb fluffy grey bunny rabbit type cat). For some reason our "problem child" would all out attack the other cat for no reason - particularly if the other cat was walking or moving. Other cat would run - no hissing back - sometimes just drop and roll in submission (other cat would have to be peeled off to stop attack). Fifteen minutes later problem child would be all fine and cleaning herself next to the other cat. The anxiety meds fixed these issues for about a year. Seriously problem cat turned into a playful sweet ball of cuteness who would play endlessly (definitely fun play) with other cat. We have had a few recent occurrences which our vet attributes to perhaps a bad batch of the drugs. All I know is I drove like a maniac to the vet to get a new vile administered asap - which I'm already seeing decreased aggressive behavior. Oh and before drugs our 40 lb border collie would live in a constant state of fear - off drugs devil kitty would literally run full tilt and jump the dog from across the room. Our house was upside down before the meds...I know drugs aren't ideal but the sanity of myself the dog and other kitty were hanging in the balance.