The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crank/chain noseband?

-
    Last edited by Jumper6252; Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

A Saddlebred or TWH catalog? They have spiked nosebands as well...

Let me see if I understand.

You want a chain on the inside of the noseband AND you want a crank noseband so that you can really make it tight tight tight.

...Really?

I could mayyybe see a chain on the inside of a two-fingers noseband solely for the purpose of adding extra oomph to a standing martingale WHEN THE HORSE RAISES ITS HEAD, but just putting a chain around its face and cranking it tight where no matter what the horse does the chain will still be tight in its face I don't get, at all.

Reconsider.

26 members found this post helpful.

EYeah, no.

I have a stud noseband and a chain noseband as well as a crank noseband, but would never combine the two. Cruel imo.

Look for something else like others have said.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

5 members found this post helpful.

A piece of equipment like that doesn't even make sense.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

7 members found this post helpful.

What, exactly, do you expect this nonsensical piece of equipment to do? Make your horse suck its nose into its chest to get away from pressure that it can't escape?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

4 members found this post helpful.

I hate things like this. I don't even do up my leather noseband tightly. Seriously just get the horse broke properly instead.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

7 members found this post helpful.

There is a reason why that particular combination is not made.

9 members found this post helpful.

Merci! Why? It sounds pretty barbaric.

It sounds as though you need a lot more lessons in correct flatwork!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Agreed with all of the above. A studded or chain noseband only serves a purpose of causing a bit more of a "shock" when the horse goes to pull against the end of the martingale and/or run through the bit. You don't want it putting constant pressure on the nose. If you constantly have it cranked on, the horse might be soft for the first few rides, but will eventually learn to tolerate the extra nose pressure and will be deadened to it. Not sure that I understand the logic here.

FWIW, they're not even legal up here in Canada and we all manage to survive somehow. Is there really nothing else you can do to make this horse more manageable?

I actually don't have an issue with a chain/small studded (not "spikes") noseband when used correctly - fastened loosely enough so that it is ONLY felt when a horse reaches the end of a (properly adjusted) martingale. The whole POINT of a chain or studded noseband is that it isn't felt all the time.

Using a crank noseband with a chain is the exact opposite of the point of the thing. You aren't finding them because there is a reason they do not exist.

May I ask what it is you're trying to achieve with this combination?

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Let me see if I understand.

You want a chain on the inside of the noseband AND you want a crank noseband so that you can really make it tight tight tight.

...Really?

I could mayyybe see a chain on the inside of a two-fingers noseband solely for the purpose of adding extra oomph to a standing martingale WHEN THE HORSE RAISES ITS HEAD, but just putting a chain around its face and cranking it tight where no matter what the horse does the chain will still be tight in its face I don't get, at all.

Reconsider.
    EXACTLY! People, if you are going to use gimmicky tack, and most do at some point, at least know how it is supposed to work and how to use it properly! Crank nose and has ONE job, to keep the mouth closed on a hunter. Chain or tack nose and has ONE job, to reinforce the standing martingale ONLY when the horse hits the end of it. Not at any other time. And so for the horse to learn, the martingale MUST not be tight so the horse isn't punished when being correct. The contraption the OP describes WOULD punish the horse constantly and eventually make him immune to any other similar aids.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper6252 View Post
    I'm trying to find a crank noseband with a small chain on the inside. I haven't had any luck searching online.
    There's a reason for that.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I see a purpose for a crank.

I see a purpose for a chain.

I do not see a purpose for a crank with a chain unless you're trying to teach a horse extremely dangerous evasion behaviors.

I agree with the others. Please do reconsider and please do not have such a terrible piece of equipment custom made.

Personally, I think using something like that will create a rearer in, oh, 48 hours or less.

Why oh why?!?!?! Horses learn by give and take. This teaches the horse NOTHING but fear and resentment. Do you want that? Why not try the chain noseband (reasonably loose) and see where that gets you??

I guess if the purpose is to teach the horse to rear up and flip over on you, then this is exactly what you need. Egads!

OP, you should maybe try that bit as well :If you don't have control with that!