The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Interesting re: abscess.

Will mention possibility to my vet.

Owner is more into natural remedies, so a month of a risky antibiotic like Exceed may be a hard sell without some sort of evidence.

Now...would you RIDE this horse?

Any holistic vets in your area? has horse been treated naturopathically? acupuncture? equine therapy? (weekly, then biweekly, then monthly etc)

Riding? it all depends - horse should be walking everyday (does she self exercise in turn out or is she mostly sedentary).

With all that you've posted about this horse, she just seems "unwell" to me, I'd be inclined to just retire her to permanent pasture puff status.

Well, there's a few clues to report to the vet. She was in 10 hours and the swelling went down. But that would make me think that if it were an abscess blocking fluid dispersement somewhere, the inactivity from being IN would make the swelling worse.

Makes me think there's something outside making this worse.

Difficult to differentiate in a white horse I'm sure, but do the muzzle and eye area seem more like vitiligo? That could point more toward autoimmune... Also, hope congestive heart failure was ruled out.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think by the time a horse was retaining fluid everywhere from heart failure some signs of effort intolerance (short of breath with activity) would be really, really obvious. Unless it's a problem isolated to the right side of the heart, which could cause swelling for a long time without affecting the lungs. But coming and going like that and only in certain areas of the body? Weird.

I know many people are fond of natural remedies, but you'd have to think that those would be a LOT more likely to help if there was a precise diagnosis to start with, no?
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

We are wondering if she spends more time with her head up in her stall, vs down foraging for food when outside. That is another possible difference between out and in. She moves around outside unless raining or really hot. She is pretty active inside too though...not pacing, but looking out her door and such.

Horse has received acupuncture (TCM and vet) and gets regular osteopath treatments. She has been seen by about a dozen different practitioners (4 vets, 1TCM, osteo, reiki, chiro, and 3 massage therapists)

The osteo did something with her head that he said would make it swell, but then go down...which it did for about 4 weeks...but he has been unable to recreate this miracle.

Muzzle is completely pink. Eyes used to be, but getting black dots around right eye. Her eyes used to get red and runny, even kept masked, but this has resolved since coming in for the sunny parts of the day.

I am going to video her the next time she super swells.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Is she out eating grass?

Is there any chance she's just better HYDRATED outside, so she looks more swollen? If she's eating grass all day, she's getting a pretty fair amount of fluid from that...

Not on grass currently. Mosquitos too bad at night, and she is in during the day.

I went to video her today to show the swelling, but of course she was only swollen in her body so not as easy to show. Will try to post photos of her head when it was bad tomorrow.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!