The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

ThreeHorseNight left out the part of the story where she took in 30 evacuated horses plus other critters and people at her farm. That is why she needs the swimming pool sized cocktails!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    ThreeHorseNight left out the part of the story where she took in 30 evacuated horses plus other critters and people at her farm. That is why she needs the swimming pool sized cocktails!
    bravo!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

wow... thank you!!! so nice to see people helping each other for the love of the animals!! Hoping this fire is done, done, done!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    wow... thank you!!! so nice to see people helping each other for the love of the animals!! Hoping this fire is done, done, done!
    I think (from what we saw in northern Colorado last year with the High Park fire) that people help each other for the love of their fellow people.

The animals bring the people together, but it is the empathy for a fellow horse person in extremis that is the driving force. People realize how much their own animals mean to them and don't want anyone to suffer the pain of that loss, if it can possibly be helped.

It is reassuring!

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm on here occasionally. I thought this was one occasion where I might get some useful information. In a very bad coincidence, I left home for a long trip the day before the fire started and by the time I heard about it I had just reached my destination and couldn't drop everything to go home. Thank goodness I have an awesome caretaker on site - she not only watches my house and property while I'm gone, she cares for my horses and in this case she totally picked up the ball and ran with it as far as planning for the evacuation of our horses while taking in others who were evacuating. I'm so glad we could help. We've all got to stick together because you never know who is going to need a safe place to evacuate to - it could be any of us at any time. I'm so glad things are looking better for the BF fire, but still very worried that a fire could start at any time any where, and catch all of us at a bad time (while we're away for the day, sleeping, whatever). We still have the whole summer to get through.....

But yes, most of the horses are departing today. Back to peace and quiet.

High Park, Waldo, and Black Forest simply showed the rest of the nation (world?) the true spirit of the people of Colorado. Over and over I hear how visitors are shocked and pleased by the community coming together like this. They all say they have never seen anything like it. Makes me VERY proud to be a Coloradoan!

ThreeHorseNight, many thanks to you and your caretaker for your hard work!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

There is a possibility that Essie will get to go home tomorrow sometime. They have decided to loosen one of the check points. The BO ( She was interviewed 3 times) is now famous!

Essie, where do you board?

Desert Skye

My friends on the north end of the forest are headed back home now with their dogs and cats. Hopefully they'll be able to take their horses home tonight and I will be able to go pick up my two exiled geldings from the barn in Castle Rock.

The visiting cats finally had to be freed from the bathroom and, thankfully, got along fine with my cats. However, one of mine (aptly named Peewee) wanted to ensure everyone understood the boundaries and whizzed on the wall behind the guest bed.

Definitely a water trough full of margaritas is needed. I'll be home in a week - get the trough ready!

Our horses are back at the barn!! We had 6 trailers moving horses. Each trailer made 2 trips. There is a possibility that we MAY get back into our house as early as Tuesday ( tomorrow ) !!

3 members found this post helpful.

Very happy to hear that Essie. Glad you were one of the lucky ones.

Great news Essie!

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    My friends on the north end of the forest are headed back home now with their dogs and cats. Hopefully they'll be able to take their horses home tonight and I will be able to go pick up my two exiled geldings from the barn in Castle Rock.

The visiting cats finally had to be freed from the bathroom and, thankfully, got along fine with my cats. However, one of mine (aptly named Peewee) wanted to ensure everyone understood the boundaries and whizzed on the wall behind the guest bed.
    I'll be so happy for you when your life returns to normal ! Hang in there, and well done!

Yay, Essie!!!!

i got confirmation yesterday that my deceased (in April, at 45 years young, one year post-retirement) Command Chief's home survived. The neighbor's houses all burned, but the Chiefs Cherry's home is still in good shape!

Admission: I found that out oddly at about mile 6 of the Tough Mudder yesterday! One of those things where you've been entered for not quite a year and have a team relying on all 10 members...

Mother Nature is really helping out with that fire right now, too...which is great!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Go Mother Nature go!!

Thanks everyone. It's been quite the week! We are very lucky. The fire was in was in section 16, which is about 100 yardish from the barn. On the home front, the fire was at the end of our cul de sac; it burned some trees and possibly a fence or two.

Hi Essie (I'm JJ's next door neighbor.) I'm glad that your home and your horse are fine and that your horse is back home, safe in her stall.

After hearing conflicting stories about Black Forest Veterinary Clinic during the past few days, it is now definite that it burned, though other veterinarians are making arrangements for the staff to work from their facilities while the clinic is rebuilt.

We are still barred from returning, and I suspect that since we are in such a badly burned area, it will be a while before we get to see the damage. Oue of our neighbors was interviewed on NPR today and while driving down to our street to his home (to get medicine), he mentioned that, "My neighbors and their horses appeared to have gotten out safely." I'm so thankful for that.

Haven't neard Nicole's interviews yet, but I understand she gave one to the Today Show, to NBC Nightly News and to CNN.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Here we go again.. Any COTH people affected by the new fires in Southern Co.?

Colorado Springs is dealing with really dense smoke from the new fires. How is everyone down that way?