The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Skydy, I am sorry that you had to evacuate, but glad that you did. Jingles for a safe return.
    I'm sorry if I was not clear. I was referring to a long time ago,(thus the phrase "back in the day") when my family had to evacuate due to a fire. I was a child. I remember the fear and, now as an adult, know that one should not hesitate. Many of my classmates lost their homes. We did not.

I am middle aged now, north of the fire and in no danger. Thanks though, for your concern. The COTHers south of me are the people in need of your jingles!
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 13, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Praying for all involved.

Skydy, thanks for all the suggestions. I got what you meant about evacuating way back when but then I wasn't sure. We haven't gotten to watering the roof yet but will do so in the morning. There has just been too much to do situating horses and taking care of everyone. The smoke is terrible. Everyone has headaches. I am wheezing.

Off to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Skydy, thanks for all the suggestions. I got what you meant about evacuating way back when but then I wasn't sure. We haven't gotten to watering the roof yet but will do so in the morning. There has just been too much to do situating horses and taking care of everyone. The smoke is terrible. Everyone has headaches. I am wheezing.

Off to sleep.
    Oh Larkspur, I wish you wouldn't sleep yet.. If worst comes to worst you have to let the horses out and save yourselves. They can run much faster than you can, and go places that you can not go in a car.

I will be worrying tonight. I realize that you have been told by authorities that you are safe.. I hope the wind listens to them. All the best to you and please check in.

Quote Originally Posted by jenbrin View Post
    I'm glad that Discovery Farm's evacuated but WOW!! I use to board there a couple of years ago. So scary!!!!
    Small world. I used to board there for many years. Left maybe a year after the western trainer moved in. Lovely place.

Kenike, glad you will stay historian if for nothing else the more 'inside' info as well as a much closer view of the MAFFS wing.

I thought my old house was safe bit on the live update page from the Gazette in the early morning said one house in the subdivision was fully engulfed.

Essie, hope your house continues to stay safe. So very scary how it keep changing direction and going back through areas once thought safe.

Sounds like another tough day for everyone. Kenike, hope your guys stay safe.

Evacuation map for Black Forest fire; http://gazette.com/black-forest-fire...rticle/1502207 Still no containment though considerably more air power than yesterday.

It will be windy again today.

Larkspur take care and get out if in doubt, looks like it's close. Good luck to you and your friends.

The Air Force Academy has sent fire engines per agreement after last years' Waldo Canyon fire.

I have to go. Will check back this afternoon/evening. Will be thinking of all of you.

Good Luck today everyone! It looks like rain here in northern Colorado. I really hope it rains!

Sending many good thoughts. I wish we could send the rain that we are about to have your way. I was just looking at the pics on Facebook of missing animals and crying. My heart is breaking for those that have lost in these fires.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

All is well here.

Update from the El Paso County sheriff: 360 homes completely destroyed and 15,000 acres burned.

High winds forecast for today.

I just read that! How horrible. We are far away, but have room for dogs/ people North of Boulder if needed.

oh man... I wish too I could send you some rain. It may help fight those fires, but too much rain after such a drought and destruction would create flash floodings and another whole new disaster. You can`t win!!
    Jingling loud and clear...

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    All is well here.

Update from the El Paso County sheriff: 360 homes completely destroyed and 15,000 acres burned.

High winds forecast for today.
    Glad to hear you're still ok, Larkspur. Absolutely devastating news on the houses destroyed, I sure hope the wind gives the firefighters a break soon... hang in there and massive jingles from Pittsburgh.

I may be home celebrating my son's 7th birthday today, and I may have snuck out for a very short, very fast run while I had a chance, but my phone has been ringing off the hook since about 5:30 this morning.

MAFFS 2 and 5 are flying again. They say visibility is worse now. We have surpassed Waldo Canyon in terms of destruction (as earlier stated). It likely is also larger.

Things are still changing very fast. It is SUCH a dangerous situation. Joyful Noise Farm isn't far from Larkspur's location...I think. They hung out overnight with much the same info that Larkspur had. They have now left because the fire has flared and was on their property.

Winds are picking up, they are erratic, and we have dry thunderstorms going up. The biggest issue will come as those storms collapse. Not only do they not have any moisture in them, but as they collapse they produce microbursts. This is bad for the fire, and it has me (ALL of my Wing who has any association with the planes, crews, and this particular special mission) very much on edge. That is all I have to say about that.

I am also extremely concerned about new fire starts.

Anyone out there who can donate to Care and Share to help keep our firefighters in shape, please do! Monetary donations can be done online. Locals can drop water, high-protein foods and snacks, and even socks and all cotton t-shirts can be taken to Chapel Hills Mall or Focus On The Family for distribution.

Norris-Penrose has hay and basic supplies for ALL evacuees. I haven't spoken with the other large animal shelters in Elbert and Douglas Counties. If you can donate hay, fly spray, wound care stuff, buckets, fly masks, brushes, hoof picks, haters and leads, please drop them at Norris-Penrose, the El Paso County Fairgrounds, or contact them for monetary donations. The Humane Society of the PP Region isn't in need at the moment (small animals).

This post took me 3 1/2 hours to type as I'm fielding phone calls. I am also a contact point for our people in the Wing evacuated from the Royal Gorge Fire. I am still busy!! I will update as I can.

Last minute before I post: MAFFS says it is worst case scenario and they aren't liking what they're seeing. They didn't say that last year.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Mandatory evacuations have been expanded within the last...I think 45 minutes. I didn't look at the clock. The fire hasn't jumped 83, but it looks and sounds nasty. They're very worried about Flying Horse.

This is an additional 1020-1050 homes and over 3000 people (to include people in my Wing...waiting on the newest AFPAAS to get those numbers).

Please pass to anyone you know to stay off I-25 if they don't need to be there so these evacuees can get out.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Please pass to anyone you know to stay off I-25 if they don't need to be there so these evacuees can get out.
    Recommended evacuation north to Denver is take 24 east to Limon and I70 then west. Not many north/south options and yes, I25 sounds like parking lot.

Very scary.

If you are involved in any way, be safe.

The MAAFS DC-10 just flew over the house headed north. The wind is gusty and variable

Hope the tankers with slurry and water can start to make a dent.

I just talk to a CDOT worker and they are talking about closing I-25 but don't know where.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    The MAAFS DC-10 just flew over the house headed north. The wind is gusty and variable

Hope the tankers with slurry and water can start to make a dent.
    The DC-10 is a civilian contractor. MAFFS is strictly C-130s (the green-gray 4 turbo-prop planes with big orange numbers). Just an FYI

They are really trying to attack this thing because of what the weather is doing. I had my numbers wrong earlier as I only had a partial report. 1020 homes alone in the Flying Horse mandatory evacuation (North side only, NOT the entire neighborhood), total is just at 3000 homes.

For those wondering, the Royal Gorge Park is completely destroyed. The bridge has some damage, but for now appears structurally sound. Engineers will assess more when the fire is out (not just contained).

Kenike- I got a note from Colorado Whitewater that the tram cables are in the river and definitely do not attempt to boat the royal gorge right now!

It sounds like it is getting worse out there by the minute. I hope everyone stays safe and they can get this stopped soon.

Your updates are great- and I really appreciate your sharing.

Happy Birthday to your son!

1 members found this post helpful.