The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Kenike, thank all your guys for me. I used to live in the middle of the evac area (Swan and Vollmer) for many years. Now I live about 7 miles north of Pete Field and hear/watch the tankers taking off and returning, both last year and now. Really appreciate the efforts. Will you still be MAFFS historian after you move?

Is the DC-10 up here now? I may have seen it on the last trip of the day just after 19:00, looked like white with red tail.

Fortunately my horses are safe but my boss had to evac and move her horses.

Larkspur, be safe! Hard to watch these homes and area burn...

Yes, we are east of I-25, west of Hwy 83. The fire that broke out on the ridge east of us has been extinguished. Mr. Larkspur talked at length with the fire personnel there and they said we were fine to stay put. We are well clear of the trees and have only small trees in the yard and short grass around the house and in the pasture. There is not enough fuel to make a fire very hot should one come through. We are watering around the house and the barn and keeping close tabs on the fire.

In addition to the two human refugees, we have nine refugee Arabians in the pastures and two very friendly guest felines in the master bathroom--one of them got on my lap while I was on the toilet - doh! The refugee dogs are in a kennel down the road. Too many animals here to deal with.
    Last edited by LarkspurCO; Jun. 15, 2013 at 02:36 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

oh thank you for checking in!! Glad you are and will be okay. And so nice that you could take refugees, 2 and 4 legged!!

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Larkspur, any good news?
    I did hear that Windswept Farms home and barns are still standing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wondered about the Rockin B as I know the fire was burning in the parking lot of the Black Forest Community Center yesterday. What is your closest East/West road?

I used to board at Whispering Winds at 105 and 83. Now the ponies are about 10 miles east of Calhan.

Take care of your flock...

We already placed this on the Black Forest 2013 FB page but we have space for horses, cows, alpacas, goats, dogs/cats, etc....We have a trailer and can go back into the area. Please give me a call (303)809-9009 no matter what time. We are located in Parker and can be down in the area quick. I know Colorado Horse Park is full but still helping out full force.

Thanks so much for checking in Larkspur. Make sure to water your roofs as well, as embers fly through the air and land on them. Take care!

http://www.kktv.com/livestream

for live coverage.

I am packed and ready to roll. I am on the south side of the Forest.

Evac points are an issue. Roads north are closed. And that is where I intend to go.

Evac'd horses for a friend yesterday. Had to choose who to help. Could be at only once place.

Have to go up I-25 then?

Discovery Farm south of Elizabeth has evacuated all the horses. Was voluntary due to number of horses then turned to mandatory. Kelly McDowell Training west of Cherry Valley has evacuated, which means Shane Brown Reining horses south of there probably also had to get out. I am wondering if Bob and Maggie Clark's Paint horse ranch by Latigo Rd and Meridian Rd is still standing? Their son Mike Craig and Suzi evacuated out.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I am keeping you all in my thoughts and as I mentioned, water those roofs! You may get big embers flying through the air from quite a distance with this wind and they will land on your roof as well as your landscape.

If you have a lawn sprinkler, set it up there if you can. My father (an engineer) found a way to manage this by rigging a pump from swimming pool to roof (the powers that be had the water shut off) when we had to evacuate from fire when I was a child.

Sending best thoughts to all.
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 13, 2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: To Clarify

I'm glad that Discovery Farm's evacuated but WOW!! I use to board there a couple of years ago. So scary!!!!

Flying W says they still have room, too. The evacuation boundaries just expanded again (pre-evac).

The Community Center is still standing, but I also heard about Rockin B. I am just hesitant to put names and locations up on here.

The Chief FE did say the destruction is beyond extensive and it was very difficult to see. I will talk with him again in the morning.

Many of you may have seen Col Condit on the news (or heard him on KRDO around 6...I think?). He was my last interview of the day before I headed home. Beyond that, I am reluctant to share more (I have typed, deleted, typed, deleted, wash rinse repeat many times) right now.

Where'sMyWhite, I'm moving to Fort Collins (somewhat reluctantly), so not far away. I will remain the 302AW Historian until I become a flight nurse, first sergeant, or retire...whatever way my career pans out. I hand-picked this Wing because of the MAFFS mission and have zero plans to ever leave.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

All of you in any portion of the evacuation zones, please just be very aware and careful! Water your roofs, but also don't hesitate to leave.

I cannot express enough just how worried I am about all of you! Anyone who knows me will tell you when I say "worried" instead of "concerned" that things are very, very, VERY bad.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I have a little intel. The houses on Milford Road are still standing. The old Clark ranch borders Milford on the south. Based on that, yes, it's still standing. My house is in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    All of you in any portion of the evacuation zones, please just be very aware and careful! Water your roofs, but also don't hesitate to leave.

I cannot express enough just how worried I am about all of you! Anyone who knows me will tell you when I say "worried" instead of "concerned" that things are very, very, VERY bad.
    I agree. I find that "get out" is the best option in these circumstances. Death from fire is one of the more unpleasant ways to go and should be avoided if at all possible.

Kenike, F.C. area isn't so bad. You may grow to like it.

Exclamation Beboe the lost pony was found & is safe

Pony found & safe; looks like there is other info abt. animals in need on her page though - including a found, scared mare in evac area that needs to be caught & moved; adorable found basset hound; etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/tracey.burraston
    Last edited by ldaziens; Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Title fix
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I did hear that Windswept Farms home and barns are still standing.
    That's a blessing! I've been praying with all fire victims, firefighters and first responders on my mind. Got a call from friends south of Elizabeth who thought they might need my truck & trailer to help move horses. Turned out they had plenty of help.

The smoke was thick, even in Aurora and Parker...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post

We watered the roof and then evacuated (well, my parents evacuated and took us and ponies and dogs with them.) Back in the day the evacuation order was given by a helicopter flying low over your house and shouting through, I believe, a megaphone, EVACUATE IMMEDIATLY. Of course we knew trouble was coming, it was obvious, but there were not the online resources then that we have now.

Skydy, I am sorry that you had to evacuate, but glad that you did. Jingles for a safe return.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing