The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The evacuation map I posted (#37) updates itself, as it's on a live feed.

The fire really has blown up. It's hot and windy again today.
    Denver news states the smoke is visible and you can smell the burn there.

I don't know which fire we're getting the smoke from up here (north) the RMNP fire or Black Forest. Probably RMNP. Lots of beetle kill up there but no houses threatened.

Larkspur, how are you?

Kenike, keep on keeping on!

There is now a "VLAT" (DC 10) laying down fire retardant at the Black Forest fire.

Still no containment at present and houses are still burning.

It's going to be a really hard slog with the weather so uncooperative.

This is just sad and horrifying. My heart goes out to all the people and animals there.

A friend posted video of her brothers place as they were loading up the horses and got out the other day. They couldn't find one cat. She hasn't heard from him since so no clue how they are faring.

The photos on the Gazette of the woman haltering her horses then having to leave them behind breaks my heart.
    Cloverfox Stables

My Wing and Maintenance Group Commanders are evacuated. A few of the guys flying are evacuated and flying over their homes. We have more than a handful of people deployed to SW Asia who are evacuated. And it appears a very special person to our Wing just got a double-whammy as it sounds like his home is gone. His wife was our Command Chief, she passed away very suddenly two months ago (a punch to gut, really). He is also a Chief Master Sergeant (the highest enlisted rank you can make in the Air Force).

I am going home for now. I'm exhausted. I will not be here tomorrow as it is my son's birthday and I want to spend it with him.

Skydy, you are doing a fabulous job posting updates and keeping everyone in the loop! You should be part of PA!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

The VLAT was flying over the Royal Gorge Fire last night and today, they've now joined my aircraft in Black Forest. They're recharging in Pueblo. My planes are recharging at JeffCo.
    The DC-10 can hold more retardant than my C-130s, BUT they also do a mass dump at one shot. My planes hold 3000 gallons of retardant and can do exceptionally pinpoint accuracy in a drop. They can circle a house...it is THAT accurate!
    Between the two, MAYBE some sort of line can begin to build. The problem is the winds. Tomorrow is another Red Flag Warning day (for the entire SoCO area) with heavy winds, heat, and collapsing thunderstorms expected. This is NOT a good situation. If it's too bad, none of the airpower will be flying.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Default Homes List

Just saw this posted and updated 10 minutes ago so thought I would share.

The El Paso County Sheriff's office has released a preliminary list of the homes lost, with partial damage and those that have no damage.

The list shows 92 homes as a "total loss." That would make it the one of the most destructive fires in Colorado wildfire history.

See the list here: http://ch7ne.ws/11wvH17
    Cloverfox Stables

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPPED HER HALO View Post
    Just saw this posted and updated 10 minutes ago so thought I would share.

The El Paso County Sheriff's office has released a preliminary list of the homes lost, with partial damage and those that have no damage.

The list shows 92 homes as a "total loss." That would make it the one of the most destructive fires in Colorado wildfire history.

See the list here: http://ch7ne.ws/11wvH17
    It has a way to go, if you're keeping score. Last year's Waldo Canyon fire burned 350.
    The "list" was given with a caveat that, as they were reading the list, more homes were burning. It is indeed a terrible situation.

It is awful for me to see one of the places of which I have great childhood memories go up in flames. The people affected now? Unthinkable.

Larkspur, any good news?

Kenike. sorry to hear about the Sergeant's horrible luck.. Have a good rest!
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Praying! I took a week's training with Patti Stiller in Penrose a couple years ago, and went up to Royal Gorge. And the fire has reached Canon City? Yikes, yikes, yikes.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I have 10 horses here from the Black Forest and just moved two of mine farther north to make room. On the way home found another road blocked off -- Jones Road at Hwy 83. This is two miles east. Thinking of getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I have 10 horses here from the Black Forest and just moved two of mine farther north to make room. On the way home found another road blocked off -- Jones Road at Hwy 83. This is two miles east. Thinking of getting out.
    Do you have everything ready? Have everything ready. Are you east of I25? or in Larkspur?

ETA; You must be East if 83 is 2 miles from you? I am just a person on a forum but IMHO if I was in your place I would prepare to go, at least. Go with your gut. Better safe..

Larkspur! http://gazette.com/black-forest-fire...rticle/1502207

Updated! That entire north mandatory evacuation area was not even on the radar for evac. this morning. It's very near 83 and Jones Rd.

Please check back when you can.
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.

El Paso County Fairgrounds needs halters, lead ropes, buckets and hay. They have room for 100 more horses.

Did Larkspur mean she had taken 10 horses from an evacuated area and she now has to move herself and her horses??? jingling!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Did Larkspur mean she had taken 10 horses from an evacuated area and she now has to move herself and her horses??? jingling!!!
    Yes. At least I hope she is preparing to. I am worried that she may not be up on the latest evacuation orders which have extended to where she said she had just been, since she has been moving horses around. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

Yes. And she is far from the first or only one.

MAFFS landed and finalize the day about an hour ago. I have been chatting with our chief flight engineer. He said it was a good day that went pretty fast. He also said it was too smoky to give clear news on fire lines. Evacuations are expanding and the mandatory lines are now larger than the Denver Metro area. I admit I am terrified about the Black Forest Fire tomorrow...

Royal Gorge is improving...kind of. They declare 20% containment this afternoon. They have made progress on the lines today. Canon City was spared today. BUT tomorrow could be a game changer again. My school is closed and empty until further notice because of the mandatory evacuation and continued threat. The fire came within 1/4 mile of the building (yes, this campus only has one building) by this morning.

By the way, all the smoke in Denver and areas North today came from these two fires. Tomorrow you should be able to blame Big Meadows. Winds will be shifting overnight again (still about 15mph here at my house).

News reporting that firefighters cut fences to let trapped horses out, showing pictures of wandering horses. Everyone doing the best they can to herd them out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Chestnut mare fleeing fire found, captured and safe. Now they're hoping to reunite her with her owner.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Black Forest Fire lost and found pets page on FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black...46943858830018