The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

FYI: they're now releasing video and photos from Black Forest confirming many farms couldn't get animals out. Horses doing that "I'm uncomfortable with the situation so I'm going to walk or trot through like I'm ducking under a low bridge" posture. Suck.

They've also told residents in Canon City to be prepared to leave. They're not in imminent danger yet, but are told to be ready. Double-suck.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I've heard the same. They did name a farm that was lost. Not for me to repeat it here.. Sending best thoughts and hopes..

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, Skydy. That's why I'm not naming things quite yet.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Okay, now that it's been released publicly I can say we got the alert status call a few hours ago (hence the reason I disappeared for a while) and will be given a launch order possibly as soon as late morning. MAFFS 2 and 5 will be in the air tomorrow.

Unfortunately too late for many people in Black Forest.

A horrible repeat of last year. Good luck Kenike and hope your people stay safe.

Actually, this is the fastest MAFFS has ever ever called up in its 40 years! Won't help some, but will protect hundreds of thousands of others as we build a perimeter.

The Territorial Prison has now been evacuated, which means the Royal Gorge Fire is moving into Canon City limits (or has...)

Is that the big Canyon City maximum security prison? Oh boy, it must be a challenge to evacuate that prison. There are some hard core folks in there..
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    This is making me ill. The fire has jumped Herring Road where my friends at Windswept Farm live. Last I heard they were evacuating. My other friend is a little farther east and is getting out now.

From my vantage point:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...15915038_n.jpg

Just got a text from Lanie at Windswept:

"We have evacuated to Elaine's. Everything that has a heart if off property."

And now she says the fire is right behind the house.
    Where is Elaine's?

Jingling madly. Kenike, your pictures on FB will give me nightmares tonight... Hope for some good news overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Where is Elaine's?
    Falcon

Oh, Good! Glad they are out of the path. The fire is burning northward of Falcon isn't it?
    Thinking of you and your friends. Hang in there.
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: punctuation (as usual)

Thanks, FalseImpression. It's just unbelievable around here right now!

New evacuations in Black Forest. The fire is actively growing to the East. Falcon should be safe tonight, but I'd be worried if I lived in Peyton!

Royal Gorge is growing to the East, too. There are reports the Bridge is definitely damaged. I'm hoping to talk to the VLAT support staff, or even the crew tomorrow. There is conflicting reports as the official structure count in this fire is three, but locals and helo crews are saying its way more.

I need to try to get some sleep so I can function tomorrow. I'll check in as I can. I'm on VOCO orders now, so I'll need to be able to function since I'll also be dealing with media.

Anyone know if it is getting close to the BLM holding facility? I think there are about 4,000 Mustangs there in Canon City.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

The holding facility is okay last I heard, but I will find out for sure after a bit. I have a lot of paperwork and orders to go pull so it could take a while.

Things are kind of bleak this morning. My aircrews will send me updates from the air when they get up. I will share what I can. For now I need to get my butt into uniform and on the road.

For the record, I was supposed to list my house tomorrow. That is now put off until early next week since I won't be here...yippee. Or maybe yippee!!! I'm not keen on this move, despite the cool town we're going to and nursing school. My heart stays with SoCO!

bad bad memories of last year and of 2002. Still can't get that orange/brown sky out of my mind or the ashes snowing down on everything. Infinity jingles to all affected by this horrible event, many prayers that all critters and people are ok.

There's a video of one of the firefighters carrying out a baby fawn on the Denver Channel, here's the link:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...el-paso-county

Last edited by skydy; Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

Larkspur, my thoughts are with you and your friends.

Jingles from Virginia like crazy! So so so so sorry you guys are having to do this again. My heart is with you.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Douglas County is in pre-evacuation. Colorado Springs has updated the pre-evacuation all the way West to I-25. Mandatory evacuations are as far South as Highway 83 where Pikes Peak Community College Rampart Range campus, New Life Church, and the Colorado Mountain Brewery are located.

Karen Goodell was actually okay as of this morning. She's now in the Northern mandatory evacuation area. This thing has blown out of control. I have aircrews texting and sending me video. In all honesty, Waldo Canyon was extremely mild. This is WAAAAAAAAY worse!

Air Force Reserve Command has taken over my activation and I am now on Title 10 orders straight from General Jackson. If I'm not here in Colorado, I will be at NIFC in Boise. That should give you all an idea of how bad this is. Never before has a Wing Historian been activated in this manner.

There is a new fire (currently fairly small) near Cripple Creek in Teller County. The Royal Gorge fire has turned away from Canon City, but that does not mean other towns aren't threatened. The VLAT (Very Large Air Tanker...this one a DC-10) is working that fire.

Norris-Penrose needs hay. Care and Share needs donations and money. I, however, am heading to go finish these interviews so I can get this initial Special Topic Report to Reserve Command. I'll check back as soon as I can.