The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Southern Colorado Fires

There are two fires raging and growing VERY quickly in Southern Colorado right now. One is near me in the Royal Gorge area (no worries, we are fine), the other is in the Black Forest area.

I know there are a few COTHers in Black Forest, and reports are that one structure IS currently burning. Check in as you can, please! And knowing how horsey/livestocky Black Forest is, let us know if you need help!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Confirmed homes are burning in Black Forest, currently 3 or 4. Does Karen Goodell still live in that area?

My school's campus in Canon City is closed and evacuated due to the Royal Gorge fire. That one has jumped the river and is moving like a mad man, grew to over 200 acres (at last survey) in less than 2 hours. My husband does have cars packed and stuff ready to throw the child, cat, and dogs in and get the hell out. We're fine right now and certainly far enough away, but he said we're taking no chances (I think he's not telling me everything...I'm at Peterson AFB working and having flashbacks to last summer because my office is filled with smoke. The difference is I have a/c this year and it's not 96 degrees in here!).

There is also another fire confirmed with immediate evacuations in Middle Creek (West of Walsenburg). There's a few Western folks down there.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Royal Gorge is now over 300 acres. It's growing a little over 100 acres per hour right now.

They're still reporting 15 acres in Black Forest, but that is obviously not right. It's taking homes via flash fire mode (basically incinerating them) and still spreading.

Oh Kenike, please tell husband to get out now!

I see houses burning (on television) in Black Forest. I hate that. I lived there many moons ago.
    Lots of horses.

I can smell the smoke from the RMNP fire.

Keep us posted and good luck. Sending hope your way.

Mandatory evac. Soda Point to Parkdale bridge. Temple canyon as well..

At least 10 houses gone now in Black Forest.

We're really fine and not even under pre-evac as we're far enough, but given my Wing does aerial firefighting and we're not new to this, we're watching for new and spot fires. Don't worry, we WILL leave if we need to!

OK. Kenike.
    I remember now (from last year) what it is you do for a living so am reassured.
    Best of luck!

Latest from Fox 31:

http://kdvr.com/2013/06/11/black-for...l-paso-county/

Friends are evacuating their farm just outside the evacuation zone. Twelvegates also lives very near this area.

Jingles for all -- stay safe - get out.

More bad news.

5:15 p.m. Firefighters: "It has jumped Black Forest Road at Elementary."

http://gazette.com/home-reportedly-b...rticle/1502187

Darn it ! Larkspur (as Yogi said) it's deja vu all over again.

Lots of homes and horse properties threatened. Very worried for my friends and their critters. Damn damn damn! The fire is headed in twelvegates' direction -- I sure hope she got out.

The newscaster said that those who are (or were) at work can't get back in to the area so no chance of saving anything. Hopefully those present on the ground are able to evacuate pets and livestock..

Jingling madly for twelvegates.

This is making me ill. The fire has jumped Herring Road where my friends at Windswept Farm live. Last I heard they were evacuating. My other friend is a little farther east and is getting out now.

From my vantage point:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...15915038_n.jpg

Just got a text from Lanie at Windswept:

"We have evacuated to Elaine's. Everything that has a heart if off property."

And now she says the fire is right behind the house.

Oh I am so sorry but very glad that she and her beasties are out.

The news just reported that there were many horse trailers leaving the area and that the evacuation area has been extended northward.

Sending hope that the property may be saved.

They are now showing a person riding their horse out, away from the fire.

Stay safe!

My daughter lives on Artesian Terrace. She and her pets are out but I don't know about her nice neighbors across the street that let me ride their pinto with my grand-daughter. Hope they and their critters are out. Jingling.
    Second place is first loser.

I'm trying to get updates from NIFC and local agencies as I can. There are rescue operations going on in Black Forest now, with a few saying they're actually recovery operations. Norris-Penrose is one large animal evacuation center, the other is in Kiowa. I haven't been able to get info out of those areas yet. That may be hard to come by. They can't confirm size of the fire yet, and I won't spread the rumor of what we are hearing.

I don't like what I'm seeing and hearing out of Black Forest. I'll just leave it at that.

As for the Royal Gorge? They can't get in close enough any longer to see if the bridge burned. It was under extreme threat and the fire behavior was such all resources had to book it out of there or become casualty statistics. The territorial prison is on pre-evacuation stand-by. My school's campus was in danger...haven't heard how that area fared just yet. That whole area (Temple Canyon and Tunnel Road) was on mandatory evacuation. The good news here is its not nearly as populated as Black Forest. The bad news is if it reaches those evacuated areas then Canon City is screwed. This fire is now 3800-4000 acres and still completely out of control. They were worried enough that the VLAT requested for Black Forest was diverted here and is currently basing out of the Pueblo Airport Tanker Base (VERY cool for me as those are my USFS peeps and the plane flies back and forth right over my house).

Side note: as much as I want to put off doings homework because I believe I will not have class tomorrow, I'm going to get my tail in gear...

Yikes the Royal Gorge fire really took off.
    Black Forest is heartbreaking. I hope everyone made it out. It is a lovely area and I have fond memories of riding all over the place when I lived there many moons ago.

Jingling madly for all in extremis.