The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Trainers/Farms in Montgomery or Frederick County MD

Hi All,

I am looking for a dressage trainer for my horse. I need someone who is patient, honest, trust worthy, and talented in riding and teaching lessons. It seems I am having trouble finding someone who will ride my horse (without me there baby sitting) when they say they will so it is time to move on. I have done a basic Google search and have come up with:

Fred Weber
    Dark Horse Dressage
    Lauren Kimmel
    Molly Xanthopoulos
    Siobhan Byrne
    Jaralyn Finn

Any feedback on the list above or any additions you want to make will be greatly appreciated.

Nicki Carson is fantastic - Elevation Dressage. She is based in Keymar, iirc, but she does travel.

Try Bright Moon Farm In Winchester

I'll second Nicki. She starts my horses and is wonderful and a pleasure to watch ride. This is her riding a greenie I had with a thunderstorm rolling in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ppPz9Gnok

http://www.flyingchesterfieldfarm.com/?page_id=38
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Christine Betz
    Dark Horse Dressage

Christine was my trainer when I rode at Dark Horse. She is on her own now, but I loved the training and the facility. Janna Dyer is the trainer owner of DH.

Christine and her horse Catus. He was not an easy horse. If I remember his story accurately, she got him for a song because he was "crazy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROjSLA2bGk

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2nd Dark Horse. Your horse will be ridden if the trainer says the horse will be ridden. And if you say you want to ride FEI, be prepared to be trained yourself, ON your horse to be able to ride FEI. There are no shortcuts at Dark Horse

Molly is great - a lovely rider and a really good teacher, patient and confidence building for both horse and rider, and if she says she will ride your horse for you, it will get ridden. Siobhan is also a lovely reliable rider and a very good teacher.

I am not positive, but I don't think Jaralyn is taking on any additional horses/students right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gailbyrd View Post
    2nd Dark Horse. Your horse will be ridden if the trainer says the horse will be ridden. And if you say you want to ride FEI, be prepared to be trained yourself, ON your horse to be able to ride FEI. There are no shortcuts at Dark Horse
    Indeed! Not by any means FEI, but Janna is the first person who just said to me point blank -"You need to be stronger" as I huffed and puffed around th ring at a trot.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Siobhan Byrne is wonderful. She is a totally down to earth and honest person plus super talented teacher and rider. She is also very positive and encouraging without letting you or the horse slack off. Highly recommend

Hm. Does anyone know if Dark Horse will push you to sell your horse and buy one of theirs? I've been looking to take some lessons and that issue has been mentioned to me about some other places in the area. I like my horse and don't want to train with someone with a breed bias.

Though I imagine it might be better to answer this in PMs!

I can answer this easily: no. I actually started working with Janna because she was the only person who did not encourage me to sell a certain horse. Instead, she helped me come up with a plan to make him the best he could be.

It is worth noting that Janna owns a Ukranian stallion, teaches me on an Arab cross and happily works with varying breeds when they come in for the monthly fix-a-test at the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Hm. Does anyone know if Dark Horse will push you to sell your horse and buy one of theirs? I've been looking to take some lessons and that issue has been mentioned to me about some other places in the area. I like my horse and don't want to train with someone with a breed bias.

Though I imagine it might be better to answer this in PMs!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear!

Glad I could help!

Oh - also to mention that if you are looking for something more in the Germantown area, I also have a training business (Moore Hebert Dressage at Alsikkan Farm) - I seem to be better at marketing my friends

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear!

Does anyone haveSiobhan Byrne's contact information? Her website is under construction.

Also of the trainers recommended, who is best suited for training a dressage horse to move beyond third level? I know some trainers are great for the lower levels, but they do not enough experience/talent to get over the second/third level hump

Thank you!

Sent you a PM.

If no one else gives you Siobhan's contact information you can call Wyndham Oaks and they will be able to give it to you.

Janna Dyer has several FEI horses in her barn, trained several local professionals up to FEI and is currently showing her self-trained stallion through I2 with scores in the 70s. As a fellow professional that works with her myself, I would say that she would be my first pick for upper-level work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Does anyone haveSiobhan Byrne's contact information? Her website is under construction.

Also of the trainers recommended, who is best suited for training a dressage horse to move beyond third level? I know some trainers are great for the lower levels, but they do not enough experience/talent to get over the second/third level hump

Thank you!

Skylar and DancingArabian, you both have PM's

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Christine Betz
    Dark Horse Dressage

Christine was my trainer when I rode at Dark Horse. She is on her own now, but I loved the training and the facility. Janna Dyer is the trainer owner of DH.

Christine and her horse Catus. He was not an easy horse. If I remember his story accurately, she got him for a song because he was "crazy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROjSLA2bGk

Paula
    And Janna is the person who encouraged Christine to buy Catus. Janna knew under her guidance, Christine and Catus would make a good partnership. And they do.

Hilary Moore Hebert is a fantastic trainer and just opened a STUNNING facility in Germantown, MD. I saw her students at The PVDA show bringing home the lion's share of the ribbons and each had a flawless test. Should be on that top list!

1 members found this post helpful.