The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by crewgirl34 View Post
    A Fjord/Irish Draught. Very cute, but I found the combo interesting.
    I think my boy is a Fjord/Percheron - it's a guess but we do know his sire was a percheron and his mom looked like some type of fjord cross. He is definitely a wide body. (He makes my butt look small!)

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Maybe not the weirdest but the most surprisingly nice- Canadian Arabian cross.

Any professional horse person will agree that the Canadian horse though hardy as heck is not easiest to work with. They are stubborn and tough. The addition of Arabian not only lightened an prettied the baby up but it kept that incredible hardiness, and unflappability but added a huge serving of willing to please.

Every time I go work on that horse I become more and more enamored.
    I don't know about other Canadian horses but my Canadian mare was a joy to work with. She tried her best to do what was asked of her. If I asked correctly, she got it. Best work ethic of any horse I have ever owned.
    That said, I like the idea of a Canadian/Arab cross.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare is an Andalusian x QH. To be more precise she is 50% Andalusian, 37.5% QH and 12.5% TB. Her dam was 1/4 TB. She could use a little more bone but she is gorgeous to look at, great mover and extremely comfortable to ride.

There are couple other Andalusian crosses at my barn. One is Andalusian x Arabian and the other is Andalusian x "North American Spotted Draft Horse," whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    I don't know about other Canadian horses but my Canadian mare was a joy to work with. She tried her best to do what was asked of her. If I asked correctly, she got it. Best work ethic of any horse I have ever owned.
    That said, I like the idea of a Canadian/Arab cross.
    There's a lady near me that breeds Canadians and the odd Arabian/Canadian cross. They're gorgeous! She uses them for trail riding vacations and they seem super - athletic but with a steadier temperament. A friend has one she events - again a really nice all arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I agree, someone missed a great opportunity not to start a real good program as a Grade horse registry, any and all accepted, including registered horses as some other registries do now, like color ones, pinto, palomino and buckskin come to mind.

A registry that didn't register horses only by breeding, but would give each horse an identity, so it could be followed around, you would know his age and if possible, breeds involved, but not necessarily.

That registry could run Open shows of all kinds, just as any other breed registry does.

A missed opportunity there for some enterprising person.
    What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
    Someone already did this. The American Warmblood Society.
    Sad, funny, and true. :/

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    My horse is registered KMH but is actually a Rocky Mtn/Paso Fino cross - Rocky Fino??
    What do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhinoceros? Elephino!!! (pronounced 'hell if I know!) (Sorry; this old joke just popped into my head and I thought SOMEONE might enjoy it.)

2 members found this post helpful.

I once knew and Oldenburg/TWH. Supposedly he was an "oops" baby but he was actually a quite nice horse. He was big, sturdy, sound, and had a great brain. He did gait but he also had a lovely, floaty trot. He was used for beginner adults because he was completely bombproof and unbreakable.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

It was a fad awhile back to cross arabians with percherons to get taller horses for the 1/2 arabian classes. Everyone ended up with a horse that was 14.2 hands high and 14.2 hands wide.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have known a Perch x Arab cross (very tall, huge, and looked at everything. Then would jump into your arms to hold her)... I have known many a great Arab but... Whoever involved in this cross didn't seem to throw a brain to speak of.

I had an App x Arab in college, nice enough mover, cute, bit of wonky hind end conformation. At his worst times I joked that he was totally irrational and sure he was always right, but really I loved that horse to death.

There is a poster on here that has a gorgeous ISH x App, although I don't think it would be a cross I would attempt. Another, JER, has a very talented TB x Akhal Teke mare I covet.

I know a girl who is a big App fan and can't wait to breed her next eventer ... Belgian x App (?). Very good rider but the same person who said no horse could be sold over 4k in this market, well, guess it depends what you're breeding... That cross would not be my cup of tea but I have met very few Belgians I enjoyed, although I do like Apps.

andalusian x percheron. a fad 10-15 years ago, the "spanish norman", ahem. Too easy a keeper, big x big, especially her head, lol. But she's been a smart, cooperative, versatile girl whether hacking ~
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10046...CL3Yr9HSj9GvEQ

or all dressed up ~
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10046...CMXP56mPobfASg
    Last edited by stecia; Jun. 15, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: links don't work
    Balance is the perfect state of still water (Confucius)

Quote Originally Posted by stecia View Post
    andalusian x percheron. a fad 10-15 years ago, the "spanish norman", ahem. Too easy a keeper, big x big, especially her head, lol. But she's been a smart, cooperative, versatile girl whether hacking ~
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10046...CL3Yr9HSj9GvEQ

or all dressed up ~
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10046...CMXP56mPobfASg
    She's absolutely LOVELY.

Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    I have known a Perch x Arab cross (very tall, huge, and looked at everything. Then would jump into your arms to hold her)... I have known many a great Arab but... Whoever involved in this cross didn't seem to throw a brain to speak of.

I had an App x Arab in college, nice enough mover, cute, bit of wonky hind end conformation. At his worst times I joked that he was totally irrational and sure he was always right, but really I loved that horse to death.

There is a poster on here that has a gorgeous ISH x App, although I don't think it would be a cross I would attempt. Another, JER, has a very talented TB x Akhal Teke mare I covet.

I know a girl who is a big App fan and can't wait to breed her next eventer ... Belgian x App (?). Very good rider but the same person who said no horse could be sold over 4k in this market, well, guess it depends what you're breeding... That cross would not be my cup of tea but I have met very few Belgians I enjoyed, although I do like Apps.
    Well, I have an Arab/App cross, but he was very specifically bred to be a dressage horse, and was not just a random Arab/App cross. He's 16.2 h.h., a lovely mover, he has been barefoot his entire life, and his conformation is just fine. No horse is flawless, but his conformation "faults" are minor and far outweighed by his quality of movement. I could wish he had a bit more laid-back Appy attitude toward life, but he does have a bit more of the A-rab spook. His dam was a 17.1 Foundation bred Appy hunter-type mare, and his sire a Trakhener-approved Crabbet line Arabian.

We have a Tennessee Walker/Donkey. So we call her a "Twonkey". She is only two months old and is probably the cutest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIT View Post
    Wow.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by horselover13 View Post
    We have a Tennessee Walker/Donkey. So we call her a "Twonkey". She is only two months old and is probably the cutest thing ever.
    My neighbor across the road bred his TWH mare to a mammoth jack donkey, aiming for a gaited mule baby. Still WAY too little to say, but he has the CUTEST EARS EVER. (He owns horses just to do trail riding, around here and hauling out to parks, all gaited. Not sure why he wanted a mule, but I know people who just LOVE them.)

Yeah, I'm not sure how gaited she is. We see her trot all the time. Some people have said that they've seen her gait a little, but I haven't seen it! The ears are the best! They were bigger than her mom's the day she was born!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIT View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure this is a QH x Friesian. I've seen this picture before and no mention of any fjord breeding was made.

That or it's the first non-dun Fjord cross I've ever seen, pretty amazing for a breed that is nearly homozygous (or possibly is homozygous) for dun.

ETA: yep, NOT a fjord cross.
    http://blissfully-blind.deviantart.c...in-1-158941155

Second picture looks 100% like a bodyclipped Friesian, where you'd expect a grullo.

ETA2: Second picture is also NOT a fjord cross, just a Friesian.
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Friesian-20-198442298

Oups! My mistake, seen one before but had no pictures so I searched google quickly. You are right, the one i've seen was definitely dun, like a fjord.
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

Hackney/Arab dam and Halter-type QH sire. Yep, he ended up funny looking. Hackney knee action and QH neckset - he actually hit his head with his knees on more than one occasion! PS. Anybody know why I cant paragraph here? My return works fine elsewhere...