The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Saddlebred X Andalusian.
    Andalusian X QH.

Years ago there was a National Grade Horse Registry. For something like $30 they would send you a certificate and everything. Don't know if it's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I agree, someone missed a great opportunity not to start a real good program as a Grade horse registry, any and all accepted, including registered horses as some other registries do now, like color ones, pinto, palomino and buckskin come to mind.

A registry that didn't register horses only by breeding, but would give each horse an identity, so it could be followed around, you would know his age and if possible, breeds involved, but not necessarily.

That registry could run Open shows of all kinds, just as any other breed registry does.

A missed opportunity there for some enterprising person.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    I knew a girl that had a haflinger/standardbred. Cute horse but his movement was ugly (to put it nicely).

Same girl had a jack russel/german shepard cross (built like a gs but had the jr face.)
    There's a mule breeder in SoCal who, while he does standard TB/QH/App/Paint and draft crosses for mules, also has a couple of Haflinger mares, and produces Haffy-Mules! They are really cute!

I have never understood the gaited non-gaited cross. The ones that I have seen just flail their legs and seem confused.

The TB/Cleveland Bay cross is awesome though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    A friend of mine has a Morgan/Friesian cross. Frankly, looking at original Morgan conformation, I think the unknown breeding of "justin Morgan" or "Figure" may well have been part Friesian. The foundation horse was supposedly from New York, New York was originally a Dutch colony....... you do the math.

My friend's Morgan/Friesian cross is not large - maybe 15.2, and has very good conformation. Still - you never know quite what you're going to get. Her horse's full brother is 16.2 (and also well conformed). She took her Moriesian and her SWB to a dressage clinic. The clinician - a pretty big name - told her that if she ever had to sell one of her horses, to keep the Moriesian and sell the SWB.
    Actually, genetic research points to more Welsh blood in the foundation Morgan stock than anything else.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

The strangest cross I have seen is a draft (percheron?) X TWH cross. Kind of cute in an odd way.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

If they work right they can be lovely - if not.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    A Friesan/Appy cross had a thread here - it looked adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I have never understood the gaited non-gaited cross. The ones that I have seen just flail their legs and seem confused.

Mine is a lovely, kind, soul. The best trail horse around. Can do anything with him. Tried some dressage in his younger days but his canter is just too 4 beat. Not a bad trot.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    That Saddlestang is pretty darn cute!

Bravestorm, have you ever sticked the 18hh horse?
    Yup - with shoes just over 18

I almost forgot about BO's filly - DHHxHackney Pony stud X Haflinger mare

Actually she's pretty cute. Dark bay w/ chrome with moderately heavy build. She's funny to watch, especially a baby - has the hackney head's up attitude, but built like a brick sh!thouse.

The stud was a neat pony, nice size, good mover, great personality, but his head. Oh My! He wore pony harness with a horse size bridle. It wasn't as ugly as it could have been, but it was large.

He bred the mare to his ASB stud a couple times. Got a nice colt, but an UGLY filly.

The mention upthread of mules reminds me that someone once told me about an Arabian mule he'd seen. I don't think he was kidding me because he didn't have much of a sense of humor.

Years ago a friend of mine had TB/Cleveland cross. Very talented jumper, but sloooooow cross-country. She got tired of winning the dressage phase and ending up 5th because of time faults, so she turned from eventing to dressage and got to PSG quite successfully. Also, he had a FANTASTICALLY full, beautiful tail. He was a bay, of course. *G*

I agree with you in that the idea is slightly strange. HOWEVER, I own a 3/4 TWH 1/4 TB and he is stunning. Looks like a colored warmblood, is not gaited, moves at about a 7, jumps nearly a 10, scope like none other, BEST TEMPERAMENT EVER. Honestly I can't say enough good things about him. What possessed me to go look at him from the ad in the free classifieds (ad said tri-color TWH/TB cross) I honestly can't tell you but I have NEVER looked back. He is the horse of a lifetime.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

There is a horse turned out with my guy - it is a Rocky Mountain Saddle Horse x Arab. Decent looking for its trail riding job, but never would I think of pairing those two. The horse is a PITA personality wise.

There is an Iclandic/QH/TB pony at my barn. 14'1, super weirdly put together but can jump the moon.

a neighbour was very proud to tell me that her Belgian mare was in foal to a mustang stallion - never did see the result as they were arrested for polygamy and child abuse shortly after

I know some folks expecting a QH/ Friesian foal this summer.

As a teenager I rode a TWHxTBxQH mare.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Maybe not the weirdest but the most surprisingly nice- Canadian Arabian cross.

Any professional horse person will agree that the Canadian horse though hardy as heck is not easiest to work with. They are stubborn and tough. The addition of Arabian not only lightened an prettied the baby up but it kept that incredible hardiness, and unflappability but added a huge serving of willing to please.

Every time I go work on that horse I become more and more enamored.
    How interesting. I have an Arabian mare and a Canadien gelding, because I enjoy 2 flavors of horse, in looks, temperament and performance--but having the perfect blend of the 2 would be wonderful!
    The Canadien gelding is the husband horse, the Arab mare is mine. She's such a power-walker that we have to actually stop and wait for him on the trail! He's a big lug--handsome and affectionate but not too motivated. She's into partnership and adventure! Both gorgeous and wonderful in their own ways.

1/4 Friesian, 1/4 QH, 3/8 TB, 1/8 Percheron:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...atriotTrot.jpg

Came out quite nice, actually!