The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Two of the best trail horses we have ever had have ben Pintawalkaloosas. We ended up with both of them and auctions where they sold very cheaply because of their unfortunate looks.

A lady I work with has a Pit/JRT cross that's pretty funny looking and was telling me she once saw a St. Bernard/Bassett Hound.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Our local dressage show was visited by a 18.2 Georgian Grande. Cross of Saddlebred/ Friesian & assorted draft. He made the Friesians look like ponies.
    "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    The names are what bug me.
    Agreed! Call it what it is. There's nothing wrong with grade horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    I agree, someone missed a great opportunity not to start a real good program as a Grade horse registry, any and all accepted, including registered horses as some other registries do now, like color ones, pinto, palomino and buckskin come to mind.

A registry that didn't register horses only by breeding, but would give each horse an identity, so it could be followed around, you would know his age and if possible, breeds involved, but not necessarily.

That registry could run Open shows of all kinds, just as any other breed registry does.

A missed opportunity there for some enterprising person.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    The sad part is this is so dang close to the truth. I am sure that the one you are selling was awarded first premie at the inspection, which you also ran.
    Tell me about it. I've often thought if I were less than scrupulous I could make some quick cash by creating a Krazy Kolor registry and despite having a free-server website and PO box with certificates printed on a Kodak home printer I have a sad feeling I'd make a killing.

1 members found this post helpful.

I knew a Morgan/TWH (we think she was the offspring of a pasture accident) --- we swore that no one would purposely breed such a horse! Very solid mare, very opinionated, and could do every gait you could name --- but she would change them when she wanted to! Driving, she had an awesome road trot and could go all day. Under saddle, she was might change gaits --- besides W/T/C she could pace, rack, slow gait, foxtrot, etc. Personality of a cow, and I'd never want to clone her, but damn, she was still a fun horse.

I knew a girl that had a haflinger/standardbred. Cute horse but his movement was ugly (to put it nicely).

Same girl had a jack russel/german shepard cross (built like a gs but had the jr face.)

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    I agree. I just got a new horse this week - we have no clue what he is, though he's likely got some STB in him, so I'll just call him a, "Standardbred crossed with godknowswhat"....or, a mongrel .

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I'd love a gaited pony!!
    Don't know if this is still popular but as a kid in the 50's we owned and showed a 5 gaited pony. If I recall the sire was a champion 5 gaited ASB, not sure what the dam was, but he was an animated, feisty guy, maybe 13 hands or so. It was a very competitive class back then.

Weirdest UGLIEST cross was a paso fino/belgian/app/cross. I think this project started with a person wanting a colored draft hence the app cross and then it got passed on to someone who rode said monstrosity and decided to improve the gaits. Yeah no... Butt of a fino, body of a belgin, legs of a shetland and wonky colored somewhere between shit varnish and sprinkles. Thankfully her personality and usefulness outweighed her looks. The saying a good horse is never a wrong color was never more used than around that mare... Her speed was not fast, she came in at around buick weight and stood an honest 18 hands most of which was body and neck. That head came with a roman nose that was impossible to put a nose band on and ALL of her tack had to be custom due to your saddle's ability to hit both whithers and croup in less than 17'' saddle. (western) Ended up using an arabian saddle on her until she muscled up and then had to go the treeless route. Best trail horse ever though and was awesome to use to move traffic. She was a police horse and was used at everything from riots to rock concerts with perfect aplomb. Very athletic too! Watching her buck and play in the pasture made me incredibly thankful she was a perfect lady under saddle.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    Yes! I don't like Friesian crosses. I boarded for a short while and a Friesian breeding barn and they're Friesian stock was to die for but their 'Morisians' were disgusting.
    There's a lot of bad Friesian crosses, I'll give you that. Friesians crossed with any type of stock horse (Paint, QH, Appy) is hugely frowned on by the good breeders. The Moriesian people must like Friesian/Morgans, but outside of their registry that's another cross hugely frowned upon.

To see some nice crosses and responsible breeding standards I recommend www.friesiansporthorseassociation.com I dare you not to be able to find a drool worthy Friesian Sporthorse

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I agree, someone missed a great opportunity not to start a real good program as a Grade horse registry, any and all accepted, including registered horses as some other registries do now, like color ones, pinto, palomino and buckskin come to mind.

A registry that didn't register horses only by breeding, but would give each horse an identity, so it could be followed around, you would know his age and if possible, breeds involved, but not necessarily.

That registry could run Open shows of all kinds, just as any other breed registry does.

A missed opportunity there for some enterprising person.
    Someone already did this. The American Warmblood Society.

8 members found this post helpful.

Weird crosses are my specialty. I'm the founder of the Spanish Saddlestang Registry of North America.

Not really - just kidding.

But I do have a Saddlebred x Spanish Mustang AND a Welsh x Spanish Mustang cross.

Maybe I should go get the Alhal Teke x Mustang posted up-thread??? lol!

Sp.Saddlestang
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ps02f7f0bf.jpg

Sp.Welstang
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ps22aef0e6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
    There's a lot of bad Friesian crosses, I'll give you that. Friesians crossed with any type of stock horse (Paint, QH, Appy) is hugely frowned on by the good breeders. The Moriesian people must like Friesian/Morgans, but outside of their registry that's another cross hugely frowned upon.

To see some nice crosses and responsible breeding standards I recommend www.friesiansporthorseassociation.com I dare you not to be able to find a drool worthy Friesian Sporthorse
    A friend of mine has a Morgan/Friesian cross. Frankly, looking at original Morgan conformation, I think the unknown breeding of "justin Morgan" or "Figure" may well have been part Friesian. The foundation horse was supposedly from New York, New York was originally a Dutch colony....... you do the math.

My friend's Morgan/Friesian cross is not large - maybe 15.2, and has very good conformation. Still - you never know quite what you're going to get. Her horse's full brother is 16.2 (and also well conformed). She took her Moriesian and her SWB to a dressage clinic. The clinician - a pretty big name - told her that if she ever had to sell one of her horses, to keep the Moriesian and sell the SWB.

I knew of a lovely twh/arab cross. She wasn't very big, maybe 15h but she could move and was lovely as a dressage horse. I think with the right owner and training she could have gone to the upper levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post
    Weird crosses are my specialty. I'm the founder of the Spanish Saddlestang Registry of North America.

But I do have a Saddlebred x Spanish Mustang AND a Welsh x Spanish Mustang cross.

Sp.Saddlestang

Sp.Welstang
    I think I'm love with your Saddlestang!
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

2 members found this post helpful.

This guy is Swedish WB/Clyde/Hackney Horse - all 18 hh of him.

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/h...bravestrom.htm

His now 2 yr old 16.2hh son - out of a Trak/tb mare:
    http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/horses/belmont.htm

and his 3 yr old 17.1 hh daughter out of the same mare:

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/horses/brittania.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post

Sp.Saddlestang

Sp.Welstang
    That Saddlestang is pretty darn cute!

Bravestorm, have you ever sticked the 18hh horse?

I watched an Animal Planet show last night which had a segment about the 'stangs. Not bad looking horses, I thought.

Then you add in the ones posted above and elsewhere, but is it me, or are they looking better confo-wise than in the past?? Not as clunky but actually with some refinements?? Someone let a TB or Arab stud out with the 'stang girls for a few years or something??
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Years ago I bought a pony that was a Trakehner (Mikado) and POA cross. But that's not all --- the POA had been bred to Mikado, had a stud colt that was not weaned, and yes, bred its dam and she then had the filly I bought. Filly grew up to be a lovely moving medium pony, that did a lot of winning before I sold her