The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'm somewhat at a loss re the "Nez Perce Horse" breeding program (does it still exist?), where they were breeding Appy/Akal Teke crosses. Ummm...some were pretty, some were pretty weird. None acceptable to ApHC (no big crime in my book), except, I suppose the usual hardship registery for colored geldings. Still, while I can see the - sorta - logic: take a horse bred by nomadic Central Asians, cross it with horses bred by mountain and plains dwelling Native Americans.... but, I just don't think it really works.

In ancient times, the Appy originated in Asia, but American Appies (real ones, not Quarterloosas) are, technically, of Spanish descent. Crossing with Iberians or some sort would seem, to me, to be more logical, as long as you kept more to the Lusitano side and bred away from the heavily grey bloodlines nore common in the Andalusians.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaSting View Post

I've also seen a Shetland/Paso Fino cross = small gaited pony.
    I bet this was darling. Small, sassy little guy with lots of bangs!

My weirdest is anything crossed with a zebra. I just don't understand that. But everyone has their own thing, right?

I used to take lessons on an Arab/trakehner cross. Imagine something with the basic body shape of an arab, dished profile, arched neck and short back, but with a HUGE barrel and a ton of bone.

2 members found this post helpful.

There is someone in south central Kentucky who breeds Freisans to Walkers. Big ole walker head on a Friesan body. Weirdest looking thing you've ever seen.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd love a gaited pony!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    Um, mine... He's actually pretty darn cute, solidly built and a really nice mover. On top of being a level headed, hard working smarty pants. But I live closer to Mexico and we have quite a few examples of nicely bred horses around here.

I have seen plenty of peeps breed any QH to any Andy they can get a hold of to get a 'genu-wine Azteca', but there are poor breeders in every breed just out there to turn a buck with something that sounds all fancy and exclusive. Just like some of the Fresian X peeps. Well bred Aztecas that are bred true to Mexican breed standards are pretty delightful horses. Just IMHO.
    Please share photos of your guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Native Funk View Post
    My old horse was a Saddlebred x Standardbred. Though he ended up being a fairly attractive creature.

http://i.imgur.com/jho0H.jpg
    Nice horse!

I remember reading somewhere that the SB registry was thinking about opening books to SB/StB crosses to help improve the SB gene pool. So the cross you have is really not that weird. Morgans, SBs, StBs, and TWHs all come from the same general genetic area way back when.

Same for Arab Trakhener cross - Traks carry a lot of Arab blood - so not that strange.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have a Welsh/Belgian cross... I bought the Welsh little pony mare pregnant from the sale ring and when she seemed to be pregnant I ran it past the auction yard. They told me that the same seller had dropped of a yearling Belgian stud colt... few months later we got Perq (perquisite) and she's been the best little horse ever. All the sweetness of the draft, all the spunk of the pony, beautiful front leg action, size 3 shoes on a 14 hand stout little pony. Born broke, easily trained, a total sweetheart. And she's cuter than crap. I just had someone tell me yesterday that we should make a new breed! LOL

maybe this link works. When she was 3 I believe...

http://s7.photobucket.com/editor?ima...perq2.jpg.html

I know a Fjord/Irish (of some sort).... it isn't attractive at all, it looks like a cave painting.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Pintawalkaloosarabisian Spotted Quarter Walking National Vanner Sport Show Horse.

(Paypay me $10 and send a picture and I'll send you a lovely official certificate of registration in our PSQWNVSS registry.)
    The sad part is this is so dang close to the truth. I am sure that the one you are selling was awarded first premie at the inspection, which you also ran.

The names are what bug me. ID your horse as a Moresian or Pintabian & you instantly lose credibility with me. Same for Azteca or Georgian Grand.

Labradoodle, Chiweenie, etc. ugh
    I will allow you to say Shit-Poo. because you have to admit that one is good.

I know someone who has a Belgian ASB cross. He is a yearling now, but I just imagine him being about 10 stories tall when he is done growing. I suggested she underfeed him to stunt his growth. She wasn't down with that

A friend had a Belgian Arabian cross. We figured that at that size, it had to have been a Belgian mare and an Arabian stud, and the breeding had to have happened with the help of science, because of obvious height differences.

He was cute.

Not all that sound, but cute. Verrrrryyyy friendly, easy horse to handle.

Now, clyde TB crosses are frackin' awesome. Those things usually end up being event BEASTS. They get the athleticism of the TB, with the bone/durability of the clyde, some of the TBs energy, tempered by the sane clyde brain. I love those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    The names are what bug me. ID your horse as a Moresian or Pintabian & you instantly lose credibility with me. Same for Azteca or Georgian Grand.

Most of those names are just cutesy things breeders thought up on a whim.

Aztecas are a legit cross though, and the National Horse of Mexico. Registration rules are fairly strict. You loose more credibility advertising an Azteca as a QH/Andy cross than you do advertising it as an Azteca.

Here in Charro country Aztecas are serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    A TB/Appy cross is registerable as an Appy, as TBs are approved for outcrossing. If I were to breed my mare (about as likely as snowballs in the desert), that's something I'd consider.
    I own a registered grey/brown leopard App/TB. They used to register them as sport horses. Don't know how they do it now. Not an unusual cross at all. Nervous, sensitive, pops over anything, with lots of get up and go! Competitive as hell on the trail. It can really wear you out. However, when he doesn't want to come into the barn, he slows down to an old appy crawl. Can't seem to remember how to put one foot in front of the other. Stops a million times to look around, or to pee. At those times, hubby renames him Molasses in Winter.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/My...tml?sort=3&o=4

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/My...tml?sort=3&o=5
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    This isn't necessarily the weirdest cross, but it seems to make for some funny looking horses... Aztecas! I have one living with me now and he seems to have gotten the worst of both breeds (QH and Andalusian). I have met a few now and they all seem to be almost cartoonish in appearance! Anyone know of one who proves me wrong?
    There's an Azteca at my friends barn. Saint of a mare, but I don't really like the way she's put together,kinda funky looking.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    A friend had a Belgian Arabian cross. We figured that at that size, it had to have been a Belgian mare and an Arabian stud, and the breeding had to have happened with the help of science, because of obvious height differences.
    Or they did it the way an old farmer explained to me when I asked how they bred draft ponies - they dug a special trench that they put the draft mare in so she could be jumped by the pony. No science, just engineering!

4 members found this post helpful.

I know of a fresian appaloosa cross....it's okay. It's white with pink around the eyes, very tall, but not very hairy. It has some stupid name that goes with the strange breeding - it includes the words Hawk and Dream....very goofy if you ask me.

I have a TB/TWH cross. Talk about confused. He's decided to start "gaiting" a bit in his old age. Although, so am I.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...psda410c0f.jpg
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post

I know someone who has a Belgian ASB cross. He is a yearling now, but I just imagine him being about 10 stories tall when he is done growing. I suggested she underfeed him to stunt his growth. She wasn't down with that
    I have a draft x of unknown parentage...Belgian/ASB has been suggested to me, which would also make him a Georgian Grande. To me, "Georgian GRAWND-ay" sounds like something you'd order at a Taco Bell in the South.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

One of my favorite horses ever was a Standardbred/Belgian cross. He looked and moved like Saddlebred with a lot of substance. High neck, roman nose, had a crazy high stepping and very fast trot. Loved that horse! My aunt had a Saddlebred/Welsh cross who looked like a scruffy cow pony but he was an amazing little horse.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT