The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default weird question...horse's feet smell like onions??

i swear, i'm not crazy...my retiree's feet smell strongly of onions. this has been going on for a couple months now. does anyone have any idea what this could be??

at first i thought i was imagining it, then realized it had been going on too long to be imagination. then i thought she was walking in onion grass or something, but she's the only one of 7 in the same fields that has this issue. she's also the only one that's bare foot. maybe that has something to do with it? she's not thrushy or anything like that.

a friend said one of hers' feet smell like "old chicken soup" but she wasn't sure why. ideas??
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Do you use Absorbine Thrush Remedy on your horse's feet?

hmmm...i can't recall off the top of my head what the thrush medicine i have is called. it's in a white bottle with a thin tip through which the liquid is applied. the liquid is clear and thin. i have used it a few times over the last few months when i thought she might be getting some thrush.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Thats it - I use thrush remedy, white bottle, clear fluid, narrow tip.

It does leave a VERY distinctive smell in my horse's feet, some times even days after application.

Thrush Remedy

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe she's digging the onions up for you. 'Tis the season for wild leeks/ramps. Yum!

I'm interested in the answer to this, especially if its metabolic.

ok, that's def the stuff i use-i checked it tonight. guess that solves that mystery. THANKS!!! my farrier asked me a couple trims ago if i was using thrush buster and i said yes, and wondered briefly at the time how he knew that down to the brand, and i guess this explains that too.

You could have "onion grass," too. It grows wild here in our pastures and looks like tall, whippy scallions with a very strong smell. If they walk on it and crush the leaves, the smell stays with them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Its the Thrush Remedy! It made my farrier lose his cookies once. Baaaaaad smelling stuff!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Sounds like you have wild onions in the pasture!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    ok, that's def the stuff i use-i checked it tonight. guess that solves that mystery. THANKS!!! my farrier asked me a couple trims ago if i was using thrush buster and i said yes, and wondered briefly at the time how he knew that down to the brand, and i guess this explains that too.
    Hmm, I use Thrush Buster, the distinctive gentian violet stuff That makes everything purple, but not Thrush Remedy by Absorbine. I have not noticed any onion smell from Thrush Buster. I will check out Thrush Remedy, tho, as I'm curious! I think. Don't want to lose my cookies!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Yup - onion grass. It's also awesome when they eat it and have onion breath!