The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Digital scribing

I'm interested in finding out more about digital scribing. Does anyone have good links to websites?

Try contacting someone mentioned in this article maybe?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...g-goes-digital

Personally, I foresee a time when scribes are obsolete. With the right software, there is no reason that a judge cannot speak into a computer mic and have the comments typed onto the form as the judge observes each rider. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking software at work, and it could certainly be utilized in a show situation (as long as background noise was screened out.)
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

If judges were to ever go to a didital recording device such as "Dragon Naturally Speaking" The judge's gasps, groans, sighs,...when something really bad or good happens will need to be edited. That includes "8.0, no comment" , "5.0 was that really a leg yield?", 2.0, circled again, no not another circle -make it a 1.0 or 0.0."

Digital voice recording of the judge, in my opinion would not be good for dressage for professionals and definitely not good for the amatuers.

I would to continue on as a traditional pen scribe as long as I can. I truly enjoy the lessons I learn as a scribe.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know with Dragon Naturally Speaking, you have control over telling the computer whether what you say should be recorded or not, so the portion of the judge's comments not intended for the riders' perusal would not be an issue. Even so, I've scribed for a show (vaulting, not dressage) and agree it is a tremendous learning experience for the scribe.

I wonder too what effect the scribe's presence has on the judge's decisions... it may be interesting to consider how scoring might change if judges were alone in the booth. More importantly, I think we need to retain a system where the judge can go back and correct comments and scores at the end of each test, so while digital scribing is a long-overdue idea, I don't think live recording is the best answer. I know from my own experiences judging I'd hate to have to articulate vocal comments for riders... it was always hard enough thinking of what to write and remembering my own name after what seemed like the 5000th Training level test!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    If judges were to ever go to a didital recording device such as "Dragon Naturally Speaking" The judge's gasps, groans, sighs,...when something really bad or good happens will need to be edited. That includes "8.0, no comment" , "5.0 was that really a leg yield?", 2.0, circled again, no not another circle -make it a 1.0 or 0.0."

Digital voice recording of the judge, in my opinion would not be good for dressage for professionals and definitely not good for the amatuers.

I would to continue on as a traditional pen scribe as long as I can. I truly enjoy the lessons I learn as a scribe.
    Hah! I'd pay real money for a tape like that, inflections and all--to find out what they REALLY think!!

2 members found this post helpful.

and for our international judges, well no software on earth could manage that

I do not see a computer replacing a pen scribe. The e-scribes found at many shows do have a place. They simply enter the number. With a program like Fox Village, the e-scribe does not even need to advance the tab, the program knows.

Judges are a stubborn bunch. Of the judges I have sat with ( which are many) they like to be able to look at that sheet at the end and often refer back , with a glace to a previous presentation of a movement. When Fox Village was in beta, many judges were interested but cautious. They were assured that the paper score sheet was the default.

I prefer being the e-scribe over writing comments now. You actually get to watch the test, since all you have to do is tap one key and it moves you to the next box automatically. (Not sure which software... whatever Poplar Place uses.)

I can't see the traditional scribe's role being automated though. One must use discretion when deciding what to write in the box. Not everything the judge says needs to be recorded.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I show at the shows mentioned in the article in Michigan. By and large it is really nice to be able to read the comments. We have had electronic scoring for the numbers for years, so the speed that we receive our scores has been lightening fast for several years now. One of the issues with this system (which will work it's way out as more shows use this system and judges and scribes get more comfortable) is that it *can* slow the show down if you have a couple of judges that are really uncomfortable with the system. At a show 2 weeks ago, rings were running up to 20 minutes late, which as we know with dressage horses *can* be a really big deal. I don't build an extra 20 minutes into my prep time.

Tho one *really* big bonus? No lost tests. I could call the show manager in a year and he'd be able to print a copy of the test that was *exactly* the same as the original, including the judge signature.

As a writing scribe who has enjoyed the position and its perks, I have to admit, I'm reluctant to embrace the movement, but then I also like the traditional white breeches and black/dark blue coats I have worked in IT/tech for 30 years and have lived many of the pitfalls of software program/networking/communication glitches and know the disasters that can happen in business with the virtual version of "the copier went down and the proposal must be in the FedEx box by 4:30."

Kem Barbosa is one judge who loves the digital scribing system she worked with recently. I don't remember the show manager, but it was east coast ... New Jersey to Florida area ... and the show manager himself (as I remember her telling it) was not only the software developer, but also the tech support. Kem couldn't say enough good things about the show and how smoothly everything went.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

1 members found this post helpful.