The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do You Meow?

I do talk to my animals in actual words, but I also have conversations that are different. HRH Rosalind and I were just having one now, and that got me thinking.

Rosalind, considering jumping on my lap: Meow?
    Me: Meow.
    Rosalind, jumping up: Me-owww.
    Me: Meow.
    Rosalind: Mm-Rrrr-oww.
    Me: Mm-Rrrr-oww. Mrrr-oww.
    Rosalind: Mow. (Rhymes with ow, not with mow the grass)
    Me: Mow.

And so on. Thinking about this, I probably do it most with Rosalind, but she is definitely my Greek chorus cat, providing running commentary on life. She's named from Shakespeare and knows it. "To eat or not to eat? To jump or not to jump? To nap or not to nap? To bird watch or not to bird watch?" You get a running play-by-play of her day. I do meow with the others at times and have with past cats, though. None of them have ever seemed to take offense, and Rosalind, who is quite expressive in tone (none of the above meows from her sounded alike), really seems to consider it a conversation, whether I am meowing or speaking to her. It has a flow and rhythm to it, like two people talking.

On the other hand, I cannot recall ever whinnying to a horse. It's something about the cats.

So do you meow?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Yup, I meow.But only to my housecat - she of the Tallulah Bankhead raspy meows.The barncats get English only.{shrugs} I can't tell you why the difference.Maybe because the barncats are not nearly as vocal as Ms House?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Mostly I do the prrrrrp thing, with different intonations. Oy. We are nuts. I also refer to myself in the third person as "Mommy" when speaking English to my cats. Husband has gotten used to it.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Of course. Both of our snowshoes are chatty.

I talk to my dog. She makes all KINDS of strange noises! Especially in the car, if she sees another dog in another car at a traffic light. And she 'sings' (howls/whines) with a couple of my guy friends.

My horse gives me the death glare if I use baby talk with her though.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Count me in as one who meows. Simba actually has the nickname of Mrr-ow Mrr-ow because he talks so much. We have whole conversations.

I have full discussions with my mouthy girl. I don't generally meow, though. I talk normal to her, if saying her name in various intonations is normal. She loves it!

I roo-roo. Penny and I have bark-offs and bark fests. Her nemesis is named Greta...for some reason Penny can't stand the sight of her or bear to hear her name spoken. Always rips into a torrent of grows and barks, me right along with her.

We have a good time...Penny's Dad just rolls his eyes.
    Ride like you mean it.

No, but when I talk to one of my cats, Clawdia, I pitch my voice so it's as high as hers. Which makes her "answer." We have lots of conversations. Well, more like arguments, really. It amuses DH.

Clawdia also has the odd habit of meowing several times whenever anyone sneezes. As though she's saying "God bless you."

Yup. I have great meowing conversations with two of my cats. They both answer back and we can go for quite some time, in various tones and intonations. The other three, however, look at me like I'm nuts when I meow at them.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

So guilty. My middle kitty talks non-stops, to the point of very irritating at times! But I swear she has 400 different meows, including a very very whiny set!

Mine go like this:

Sylphide: Mrrrrrpowwww?
    Lorelei: Meowwwww.
    Sylphide: Chrrrr, chrrrrr.
    Lorelei: Mrrrrrow.

Me: DON'T EVEN START WITH ME YOU JUST ATE.

3 members found this post helpful.

Old Lady Cat is very chatty. We have long mew-mew conversations all the time -- I can get her started by just making my attention getting noise (a quick, high-pitched psst-psst). She'll chirrup and run right over then start meowing.

Little Man doesn't do much chatting other than his little hello trill.

I actually took some video on my phone of my conversation with the barn cat. He's lived here a couple of years but I can't get any closer than a couple of feet to him (her? I actually don't know.) I fed him one morning and then he came in the aisle and started complaining at me about god-knows-what. For a good 2-3 minutes we went back and forth.

Him: meow
    Me: meow
    Me: meow?

Never did figure out what he wanted. He eventually got bored with me cleaning stalls and went out to explore the day.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Most of my cats have been on the quiet side, getting vocal only when they wanted food or to go outside. Dylan, on the other hand, is a chatterbox. He's gotten quieter since we moved a year and a half ago, but before that, if he was awake (and I was there, obviously), he wanted to talk.

For decades have been speaking with my own and other folks kitties. Do wish I knew what was being said as several kitties have walked off in a huff when I repeated, as best I could, what they said.
    Do the same with dogs. My BF has howling sessions with her Jack Russells, yes plural.
    Haven't been able to mimic horse conversations as well as cat and dog.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I think it's a little odd if people DON'T meow at their kitties! I have whole conversations. Different kitties also communicate in different styles

I have an older cat who is quite set in his ways, I got him older and he had his humans to come and feed him or tend to him when he called. He has the bf and me trained now, but we still make fun of his loud, long, angry sounding meows, even when not around cat.

Sky: MRAWWW
    Robbie and me: MRRRRAAAAAAAWWWWW

The cat does not think we are amusing as he stares at us with an unhappy look after the third time. I can almost see him thinking, "why are these humans mocking me?"
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I don't meow as much as i just talk to them, but yes, yes i do.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Meow to them or I speak english to them and they answer back meowing. I have had long conversations with some of my cats. I swear most of my animals understand english.