The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jingles please sitting up with my first colic

Kitty the pony is colicy. It's all my fault. I mixed some corncob in her with her shavings bedding last night because it was recommended as being absorbent. She must have eaten some, since nothing else changed. Not a lot, there wasn't much there to begin with and not much seems to be missing .

At six the Bo found her down and cast. Got her up and walked her. Seemed fine. 20 min later she was down again. Sweating. I came out and called the vet. Had us give half dose of banamine. By the time he arrived at seven fifteen she seemed fine. All vitals normal heart rate 28 gut sounds great etc. he didn't do anything else.

Now she is still unhappy. Laying down pretty calmly. Not thrashing. But doesn't feel good. Occasionally tries to roll. Not sweaty, breathing rate 24. Pooped a little with no bedding in it. I don't know her heart rate can't find it. Still doing the lip thing.

I'm so scared. It's all my fault. I'm afraid she will die. My husband left me and I miscarried three weeks ago. I can't take any more. Jingles and prayers please ?
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Yikes! You've been through the wringer.
    I would call your vet and explain that she is uncomfortable again. IMHO she should be rectally palpated, and probably tubed with at least water of not mineral oil, just to be on the safe side.
    JINGLES!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Agreed. Please have the vet come out promptly. This pony needs to be evaluated to see if this is a displacement or impaction. If she's impacted, she might be put on IV fluids (and your vet can give you instructions on how to maintain a catheter and fluids at home if you're not squeamish).

If this is a displacement, he may be able to sedate her and roll her a few times, if she's small, in the hopes of things rolling back into place... but this is a pretty extreme method and not many vets will do this for you. I'm assuming she's not a surgical candidate.

You have to stop blaming yourself. Horses can and will colic if the moon is in the wrong phase. If you ever have a chance to see diagrams of their digestive tract, it's amazing they don't colic more often.

Please don't beat yourself up anymore over this. You've been through enough already... which is *holycrap* enough.

Good luck.

Jingles for you and Kitty the pony.

Jingling for you and your pony. Don't blame yourself, accidents happen and horses can and will find a way to get into things they shouldn't. Please keep us updated when you can.

Jingling for you and pony, too. And yes, please don't blame yourself.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

Jingles from NC. Virtually everyone of us has been there done that. As a kid I remember staying up with my mother when we would have one colic. Now my daughter stays up with me and good ole mom checks on us.

Jingles!!! And I agree, don't blame yourself. Hang in there and please post an update when you can.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Sending jingles and hoping we have a good update this morning.
    Don't blame yourself. Colic can be caused by so many different things.

I'm sorry you are going through all that! I just sat up all night last week with my beloved Thoroughbred who coliced from ulcers. He is doing great now on his meds, and I pray yours will do the same. Please tell the vet to come and tube your horse, that she is still not comfortable. They should also do a rectal or possibly fluids. Many horses find complete relief from that.

And don't beat yourself up over the bedding. It may just be coincidental. I use pine pellets but everyone else at our barn uses those corn cob pellets. There are several horses who eat as lot of them and are not bothered, so who knows? I keep telling them to buy the pine, but the horses seem fine. Best of luck.

Any updates?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Jingling like crazy for you and your pony.

Jingling for a good update for Kitty pony!

Colic is no fun...

Jingles for Kitty.

Very scary.

Yes, have the vet back out now to re-evaluate. He will likely want to tube her with oil and give more banamine or other meds. If he believes it is an impaction, he may also ask you to get her moving - sometimes a short trailer ride or a jog on the lounge line will help move things along.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles! Jingles! Jingles! Hope Kitty is doing OK!

Jingles and prayers coming to you from KY.

I pray that your Kitty pony is doing better and that you find the strength to deal with another thing on your heavily laden plate.

The power of COTH jingles has worked miracles.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Sending jingles and prayer for kitty.
    Also prayers for strength for you. You've had a lot to deal with.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Update? Don't beat yourself up, like someone said horses colic if the moon shifts a degree. I just had my first colic Sunday AM, and we are still speculating what happened, because there was no feed change whatsoever and nothing in his diet to colic from.

Jingles!

Jingles for you and Kitty!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?