The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sad news...no more championships in my area :-(

I had set a goal for myself to qualify and compete in the Schooling Series Championships at each level. Last year I debuted my 4 year old at the Pre-Novice Combined Test and did our first Starter at the end of the season. She placed in the top 4 in both and qualified for the Championships! So we went to the Pre-Novice Championships and got Reserve Champion! Proud mommy! My qualifying ride at Starter however was AT the Championships of 2012 so I was planning on going (and hopefully requalifying this summer!) to the 2013 Championships. I looked at the schedule for the year and couldn't find the championships so I sent an email about the date. So sad to hear they are being indefinitely canceled due to low turnout :-( So sad as the only other "year end" championships are the USEA...in TEXAS! :-( I was so looking forward to an end of the year go out with a bang! But more so I'm so sad that the numbers for eventing in my area are down so much that they needed to cancel. Not a good sign for eventing in the Midwest! Wishing there was something I could do!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Do you not have an Area Championships? The USEA's American Eventing CHampionships is the big one in Texas but typically each area has their own championships as well.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I thought there would be but I was told no. It's Area 4... anyone have insight? We'll be doing both rated and schooling this summer. It's not the end of the world but it sure made me super sad! :-(
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Queeny Park just hosted some of the Area IV championships, but they looked to be very poorly attended.

Part of the problem in area IV is the travel distance. Last year champs were in kansas, which is about 12 hours for me. This year, champs were June 8th and first area hT was May 17. Almost no one from our area was ready b/c we still had tons of snow on the ground May 4. So, if they want to make them better attended, they need to have them in a more central location and later in the year.
    Here endeth the rant.

4 members found this post helpful.

So they must mean only the IDCTA Series championships are canceled. However these USEA championships would have been too early and too far for me anyways. I'll just pick a show at the end of the year and pretend I'm at the championships :-)

Hey Kegger, I think you must mean IDCTA championships. Funny you bring this up now, I was just looking at the IDCTA schooling show schedule the other day and noticed that there was no championship listed. Wasn't it typically the last show of the schedule?

I'm sure there was a scheduling reason, but to have the Area IV Championships so early in our season would seem to guarantee low turnout.

Maybe next year?

Last year, the IDCTA Championships were held at a lovely facility and were well run - for less than 20 competitors. Do the math.

2 members found this post helpful.

Don't the area championships have to move about? If so I'm sure it just depends on who's hosted them recently to determine where they might be. And since there are only so many events at all in our area sometimes they'll have to be early.

Flutie, that is a shame, the IDCTA circuit seems to be really nice with a lot of shows. Any ideas on what might increase attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Last year, the IDCTA Championships were held at a lovely facility and were well run - for less than 20 competitors. Do the math.

I just checked the calendar - if it's the same IDCTA - championships are on 10/6 at Silverwood. Love the series and have done two CTs so far this season.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

And if you're an eventer looking for similar competitions in southern Area IV, KDEA are holding a Dressage & CT series leading to the Greater Wichita Area Championships at the Kansas Pavilions in October. The next show in the series is at Palmer Ranch (Briar Fox that was) on June 29th. Details at www.kdea.org
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I really wish I knew how to get more attendance. I competed at the Mini Event Championships but only as a regular competitor. I have to admit it wasn't until a few weeks before the event I even realized I COULD compete...I thought it was Championships only. A LOT of people thought that. I'm wondering if that's part of the low attendance. It was a beautiful show but the turnout to that one was laughable. I had 8 in my division but most had under 4. I'm wondering if they advertised it as a Mini-Event WITH a Championship Division if the turnout would have been bigger. It definitely threw me off until the last few weeks when someone brought it up and we looked into it harder. Almost didn't go to it because it was advertised as such.

Tiger Horse those are unfortunately only the Dressage and Combined Test Championships...not the Eventing championships Although perhaps I'll make that my goal this year!

Keg-A-Bacchus - IDCTA has been running the mini-event championships for years. The show has always run a regular mini-event in conjunction with the championships, so if a horse/rider did not qualify or if a rider had to switch horses, there was an option. That has always been listed in the showbill, so I am not sure why a LOT of people did not know they could ride. Yes, it is advertised in the IDCTA Omnibus, the IDCTA website, and numerous email blasts were sent out to our membership.

For the last several years, the number of competitors have dwindled for this show. There are many man-hours that go into the planning, preparation, set up, and running of this show, so this past year's extremely low turnout pretty much left us with little choice. Most of those working to put on the show and volunteers, ride also. It is very hard to ask all of those people to give up their time for so little support of the event. It would be nice if it were not so, but as a result, the Board felt it was time to take a break.

3 members found this post helpful.

I completely understand why. I was at the last one and was in shock at the low turnout! Just sad our area doesn't have a better turnout! Wondering what we can do to get more people out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Tiger Horse those are unfortunately only the Dressage and Combined Test Championships...not the Eventing championships Although perhaps I'll make that my goal this year!
    Sorry, you are right! The Fox Valley Mini Event this past weekend was packed - so, surprised the Championships haven't gotten a better turnout . . . who knows, could be timing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Queeny Park just hosted some of the Area IV championships, but they looked to be very poorly attended.
    Actually, we considered that a banner number!!!!! Our on-top-of-it secretary had to order extra stabling at the last minute!