The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Trunks (aka, why is finding a wooden box so hard?)

As you can see, I'm struggling a little with the search for a tack trunk. I'm on a budget, but I figured I could find SOMETHING close to what I want... however, I have yet to find it anywhere, in any budget.

What I want is a medium/large, wooden tack trunk with a tray in the top. I don't need a bandage lid, grooming box, or bit dowels (though the latter would be a nice bonus). I really need to keep it to $500 or less, so budget is a consideration. It doesn't have to be a work of art, just tough enough to withstand traveling. I've Googled it all the ways I can think of and searched for used trunks but can't find ANYTHING... what am I missing??
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Are you using SearchTempest to search all the Craig's Lists within driving distance?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I got an unfinished medium Phoenix West trunk through Smart Pak last year for well under $500 (cheaper unvarnished, plus some holiday sale and free shipping to the barn). The varnishing took all of about $30 and a Saturday afternoon. I find the medium size plenty big - give them a call and see if they can get it or the large. Mine has a decent-sized tray and a grooming box but you could leave that out.

Try Birdsong... might be able to find something within your budget that is also a work of art

Call some local woodworking shops. A guy near me sells the totally tricked out tack box for like, $400.

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with the above post. If you can find a local woodworking shop, especially in rural areas, you may can give him your own measurements and find a deal. I paid 250 for my beautiful trunk. Because my neighbor, who actually made toy-trunks, had never seen a 'tack trunk' I showed him a picture in Dover, gave the exact measurements I wanted and received the exact trunk. (My request was to have one large enough I could sit on and my feet not touch the ground. Silly request now, when I travel to shows by myself, and it's a ton!)

You may have to varnish it, but that is really simple to do.

1 members found this post helpful.

A medium sized Phoenix West wood trunk, unfinished is $420 (plus tax and shipping)

My husband makes them to order and could do a basic trunk with a tray for that price, but we're in RI so you'd have to have it shipped to you. Not sure how much that would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ccr0009 View Post
    If you can find a local woodworking shop, especially in rural areas, you may can give him your own measurements and find a deal.
    I found this site (http://elitetackdesign.com/), which has plans available for $42, and a good woodworker can tweak them in a variety of ways to fit your needs.

There is a whole gallery to show how other customers tweaked theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by 2horseygirls View Post
    I found this site (http://elitetackdesign.com/), which has plans available for $42, and a good woodworker can tweak them in a variety of ways to fit your needs.

There is a whole gallery to show how other customers tweaked theirs!
    I did this. The wood working guy in my area charged me $250. My only complaint was color--we had different opinions on what "light" meant, so it's way lighter than you'd ever see at the A's, but the trunk holds everything of mine which is great. No more storing my gear helter skelter!

Have you checked with local tack shops? Here, one of the local shops sells some nice wood trunks made for them by a local guy, and you can buy unfinished or finished for really reasonable cost. I also see used ones periodically on craigslist. I have an old Warner's cherry trunk to sell, but you are too far from me, darn it!

If I may hijack: do you think it would be possible to get a vinyl trunk from a normal wood worker? I love my vinyl trunk and I've been wanting another, but they are ungodly expensive.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Try a local consignment shop. I have them in my shop - You are TOO far away.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Make one yourself. Seriously. Chances are that if you are moderately handy with battery operated power tools, whatever you make will probably be better quality than what you buy. Look at pictures of what you want, and figure out what materials you need, wood, hardware, dowels for bits, screws, etc... Take the pictures and your drawings/plans with you to home depot and ask someone for help. Tack trunks are horrifically overpriced for the quality, unless you really go top of the line. Wood is easy to work with, staining/painting is easy too, get a stencil from michaels, and you have a monogram if you want it. I bet you could make one for less than $100 if you have access to tools. Maybe even see if anyone else in your barn is interested and have SO's help, make a barn day of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Make one yourself. Seriously. Chances are that if you are moderately handy with battery operated power tools, whatever you make will probably be better quality than what you buy. Look at pictures of what you want, and figure out what materials you need, wood, hardware, dowels for bits, screws, etc... Take the pictures and your drawings/plans with you to home depot and ask someone for help. Tack trunks are horrifically overpriced for the quality, unless you really go top of the line. Wood is easy to work with, staining/painting is easy too, get a stencil from michaels, and you have a monogram if you want it. I bet you could make one for less than $100 if you have access to tools. Maybe even see if anyone else in your barn is interested and have SO's help, make a barn day of it!
    This! 100%
    My husband made one for me for my birthday. I had been showing him boxes to replace my rubbermade tub for ages and the costs climbed over $500!
    He bought 2x4's, castor wheels and deck stain and made one in just a day or so.
    It is seriously gorgeous and very sturdy. I get compliments from everyone.

If you decide to make one, consider buying an impact driver. Much easier to use for us ladies compare to normal drills.

SmartPak has the Phoenix West "starter" trunks for $395. It may be too small for you, but their trunks are really well made and that seems like a great price:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/phoeni...unk-9758p.aspx
    **Stacey**

I agree with making one yourself! If you don't have tools, someone you know probably does and can lend them to you. I built my enormous trunk with lots of bells and whistles for only $120 and it was very simple to make for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Try a local consignment shop. I have them in my shop - You are TOO far away.
    Thank you all so much!

Unfortunately I'm not finding anything on Craigslist or in consignment shops, so I will check out the places ya'll mentioned and see if I can find some local people. Knew I could find answers here!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Try Scott Angstadt in Quakertown Pa. I bought one from him about 6 years ago and I remember it being in the neighborhood of $500, I could be wrong (I try to forget the prices of all of my horsey expenses). The trunk is very nice and has lasted very well.
    Last edited by MMF; Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: grammar

STA - I'm also looking for a tack trunk and you are NOT too far from me Could you PM me what you have? thanks!!