The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horsehair remembrance items--:((

On Saturday I lost a horse I had owned for 19 years.

I am trying hard to deal with it. I saved a hunk of tail hair. Not sure what I want to do with it. If it was jewelry I would want to wear it every day but not sure anything would hold up to that. I might settle for something to put on my rear view mirror and maybe something to wear--I just don't know.

Any experiences or suggestions?

I have a chunk of tail I plan to get around to having made into jewellery at some point when I'm ready.

I've found a huge range of things at varying price points, it's important to me that whatever I have made is of good quality and lasts, I never wear costume jewellery so bracelets and things made from base metal are out for a start. Snippets of hair can also be put into resin jewellery, which of course will last forever, but I don't personally like those.

Some items of jewellery are going to be under more wear, i.e. bracelets, but there are companies that can make pendants and things which are imo going to fare better.

One thing I plan to have some of the hair made into is a stock pin. My thinking is this will wear well, be useful, and my horse gets to come with me to horse shows even if he isn't here in the flesh.

A friend of mine had a vase made (incorporating the hair into the clay), and then it has a lock of hair around the top of it. It looks beautiful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I really like the vases, or what about a keychain?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a key chain made with my horses hair from Pony Locks and it turned out beautifully.

http://ponylocks.com/jewelry-showcase.htm

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    A friend of mine had a vase made (incorporating the hair into the clay), and then it has a lock of hair around the top of it. It looks beautiful.
    Yup, horse hair pottery. i did the same
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've never heard of horse hair pottery so just googled it. It's really pretty.

I make bracelets but if you are going for the "last forever" I would never guarantee that a piece of braided jewelry will last forever.

I love the pottery. If you have a lot of hair, I would have several different things made, maybe a vase for the house, and then a special piece of jewelry.

I have no idea of this persons price point, but I think her stuff is stunning.
    http://nannasalmi.com/collections/bracelets/

Timely thread. My friend took my horse's tail when he passed. She ordered a bracelet and a keychain for me and returned the rest of the tail to me this evening. It was almost theraputic to braid it one more time. I put it with his halter until I decide if I want more things made with it. Thank you for the ideas.

I am sorry for the OP's loss. I had my boy 20 years. I understand what you are going through.

so sorry for your loss...it is NEVER easy no matter how long they live and no matter how merciful their passing may be.

I have a braided bracelet and it's held up well. I love the pottery, too.

I'm also in the process of doing this. I think this is where I will get my bracelet made. Depending on how much hair you have you could get a bracelet done and have some hair left.
    https://www.facebook.com/HorsehairBr...sErica?fref=ts

Specifically this one (though my horse had white tail hair and I won't get that charm, I will get a heart with my horse's name)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...26974793_n.jpg

There were some beautiful tassels in Martha Stewart's magazine last year:

http://www.marthastewart.com/948005/horsehair-tassel

Just another thought- how about adding a braid/cord as a feature on a picture frame and of course- framing a picture of your horse. I think it's a setting where it wouldn't have to hold up to wear and tear and is a little more understated.

OP....Hugs from NC. I lost my heart horse and OTTB Jimmy a few years ago after owning him 21 yrs. Couldn't bear to even look at the tail hair without sobbing--just kept it in my closet. Then we lost my daughter's Arab/ASB dressage horse and decided it was time to do something with both their tail hair.

Can't say enough good things about Penny with Pony Locks. She treats the tail hair with reverence and the two bracelets we have now that she made are not only elegant and beautiful enough to wear for special occasions, they are wonderful keepsakes and reminders of our beautiful boys.

I hope you too can find comfort in a keepsake, and with others here who truly do understand what you are going through.

I just had my heart horse, Redrum, who I had for 26 years put down. I had IdaMay make me another beautiful memory pot. I can send you her address if you pm me. I will try to add a picture.
    http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/pa...06019817187891

No idea if this link will work.

I learned about IdaMay from this forum and there have been lots of glowing reports of her work.
    Hugs for you. We can only console ourselves with our great luck in having them for so long.
    Last edited by paulosey; Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulosey View Post
    I just had my Heart horse who I had for 26 years put down. I had IdaMay make me another beautiful memory pot. I can send you her address if you pm me. I will try to add a picture.
    I had a wonderful experience with Ida May a few years ago. A barnmate's horse died suddenly, and Ida May not only produced a beautiful horsehair memory pot, her return emails were prompt, sympathetic, and very kind. She clearly cares very much about her customers and truly does it "for the love." This horse had a signature color, a deep shade of maroon, and Ida May arranged for the pot to have streaks of maroon + maroon-colored beads around the neck. And to my shock, she insisted that we receive the pot (and like it!) before we sent a check.
    http://www.horsehairmemorypots.com/

I am not crazy about the pots. They look like funeral urns to me! I wish my mare had a long tail... a barn mate already made us bracelets with her hair. The hair seems to be holding well, it's the silver hardware that does not. It got tarnished so fast and nothing seems to make it shiny again.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I am not crazy about the pots. They look like funeral urns to me!
    I have seen some square pots and other shapes that are not urn-like, and they look really cool. Unfortunately the one place I was really hoping to commission two pots from will not respond to emails, and in six months of searching I can't find anyone else with interestingly shaped pots and consistent quality of work.

I lost my OTTB in November 2011. My husband took his tail and sent it to Jacquee Gillespie in New Mexico and had her make a necklace for me. It was my Christmas gift and the best gift I have ever received. I NEVER take it off. I have worn it almost every day since December 2011. As long as you don't snag it on anything and rip it it will last a long time. She explains more on her website.

She sent the remaining hair back and I plan on having a bracelet made eventually.

Her website is: http://www.beautiful-horses.com/jewelry.htm

I'm sorry about your horse. It is extremely painful. Amazing how your heart can actually physically hurt. But it does get better and then you remember the happy times and feel happy again. The painful memories do not negate or cancel out the happy memories.

Good luck.

I have all of the above from my heart horses's tail. (Sunday was the one-year anniversary of her death.)

I had three pots made by Idea - one for me, and one for each my mom and my dad. They are simply breathtaking and she offers a variety of pot sizes so they don't look like urns.

I also had a keychain and a bracelet made by our own COTHer SpacyTracy.
    http://horsehairjewelry.weebly.com/design-examples.html