The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: I'm going to the...

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • barn

174 89.69%
  • farm

10 5.15%
  • ranch

3 1.55%
  • other

7 3.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do YOU call it?

I have a few non-horsey friends and last night we got into a bit of a debate regarding the proper name for a horse sports related facility.

I know, that sounds like a silly thing to argue about, but they are just adamant that any horse place is called a ranch and I totally disagree. They refer to a small equestrian center nearby as "the ranch". I told them that in the horse world, many of us refer to our barns/horse businesses as farms. As a matter of fact, most LLCs include the word "farm". They thought that was crazy. ??

I was wondering what everyone else thought?

I have grown up saying, "I'm going to the farm today," or "I'm going to the barn today". But never have I said, "Going to the ranch today!" except for when I actually worked as a wrangler for a ranch in WY. I also explained that a lot of the nicer places have a barn manager and a farm manager-barn manager responsible for day to day care of horses, farm manager responsible for upkeep of facility. Still, they think it is very weird to call a horse place a farm.
    They kept pulling out the Webster dictionary of "farm" and "ranch".

Thoughts? I'm honestly curious now.
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

I call it a barn or stable. I live in the west, and a ranch is a big spread. Don't know how big, but I know it when I see it! As a joke I call my place a "ranchito".

If you grow crops, however, it's a farm.

3 members found this post helpful.

Another Western girl and I called it the stables. You can get lost for days on ranches. I was quite surprised when I got here and found out about horse "farms", but since the TB industry is basically farming crops of horses for racing it makes sense.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think of a ranch as having some cows, horses, other types of livestock.

I think of a farm as someplace where things are grown on purpose. (Hay Farm, Tree Farm, Veggie Farm)

I think of a Barn as something horses use to get out of the weather. (3 sided shelter, a shedrow,) Maybe it has a tack room or a feed room, but is more shelter than anything else.

I think of a stable as someplace one boards their horse with other people. It has horse related facilities. Tack rooms, feed rooms, wash stalls, indoor/outdoor arenas.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep, west coast here as well. Every day I text my husband “Just got out of work, headed to the barn, then home”.

If I am talking to non-horsey friends I say I am headed to “the stables”, as I do not know that “the barn” would make sense to everyone!

All of my riding friends say "barn" - going to the barn, just came from the barn, meet you at the barn - and oh, what barn do you ride with?

My neighbor has ranch – it is around 3,500 acres, has many cattle, and a few horses to move those cattle.

For me, “ranches” are places where ag production is underway. Horses are kept on farms, in stables, or for short “the barn”.

2 members found this post helpful.

Equestrian center? Stables?

"Farm" and "ranch" have agricultural connotations. Farms grow crops or breed animals, and ranches are ginormous acreages given over to the production of beef cattle. I refer to my place as "the farm" because I don't know what else to call it, but it's really only a house with a 4-stall barn wedged in between some fire ant mounds.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

4 members found this post helpful.

Since I live here, I go from the house to the barn.

I live in the west and the places around here (ours included) are referred to as ranches. It seems like dairies are called farms. It seems like the fancier horse places are referred to as farms.

I get the impression that it's kind of an east/west terminology thing too.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know I know – Wikipedia is not THE source, but it is a decent one.

A ranch is an area of landscape, including various structures, given primarily to the practice of ranching, the practice of raising grazing livestock such as cattle or sheep for meat or wool. The word most often applies to livestock-raising operations in the western United States and Canada, though there are ranches in other areas. People who own or operate a ranch are called ranchers, or stockgrowers. Ranching is also a method used to raise less common livestock such as elk, American bison or even ostrich, emu, and alpacas.

A farm is an area of land, or, for aquaculture, lake, river or sea, including various structures, devoted primarily to the practice of producing and managing food (produce, grains, or livestock), fibres and, increasingly, fuel. It is the basic production facility in food production.[1] Farms may be owned and operated by a single individual, family, community, corporation or a company. A farm can be a holding of any size from a fraction of a hectare[2] to several thousand hectares.[3]

A barn is an agricultural building primarily located on farms and used for many purposes, notably for the housing of livestock and storage of crops. In addition, barns may be used for equipment storage, as a covered workplace, such as threshing.

A stable is a building in which livestock, especially horses, are kept. It most commonly means a building that is divided into separate stalls for individual animals. There are many different types of stables in use today such as the American barn which is a large barn with a door each end and individual stalls inside or free standing stables with the classic top and bottom opening doors. The term "stable" is also used to describe a group of animals kept by one owner, regardless of housing or location.

Barn here. When we were growing up, a family moved onto our street with a horse; she was stabled a few blocks north of our street and my sister was friends with the family, so she would "go up to the horse."

The place i ride has "horse center" in the name, but that takes too long to say.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I would say I'm going to the stables or yard. To me a barn is a structure for the storage of hay/straw, things like that.

If someone here said to me that they kept their horse on a farm I would expect it to more than likely be agricultural, with maybe a few stables for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post

The place i ride has "horse center" in the name, but that takes too long to say.
    Oh yes, this too, "I go to the horse" hubby asks if I am "going to the horse today".

I'm either going to the barn or "out to the horse". The facility does have "stables" as part of it's name though.

Never in a million years would I call it a ranch.

It depends on the type of equestrian facility and what's done there. I would not refer, for example, to the LA Equestrian Center as a farm or a ranch, but I do refer to the modest facility where my horse is boarded as "the ranch." To me, a farm is where crops are grown, with the exception of dairy farms and pig farms. I've got no particular reason for calling things what I do -- I just do it. :-)

When I refer to my whole property, I call it "the farm". In my mind, that includes the barn, the pastures, the house, the apartments, the tractor barns, etc. So if I'm inviting someone to come visit, I'd say something like "Oh, I'd love to have you out to the farm for an afternoon!" But if I'm going out to ride/feed/do chores, I say I'm going out to the "barn", if that makes sense.

If it comes up with people of the non-horsey persuasion, I'll say "horse farm".
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

When I refer to my whole property, I call it "the farm". In my mind, that includes the barn, the pastures, the house, the apartments, the tractor barns, etc. So if I'm inviting someone to come visit, I'd say something like "Oh, I'd love to have you out to the farm for an afternoon!" But if I'm going out to ride/feed/do chores, I say I'm going out to the "barn", if that makes sense.

If it comes up with people of the non-horsey persuasion, I'll say "horse farm".
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Barn here!!

I agree with most of the others. To me:

Ranch= thousands of acres with mostly cattle and working horses.

Farm= crops maybe some chickens or sheep.

Stable and barn can be interchangable although I don't know anybody that refers to where they keep their horses as a stable.

It is always the barn.

Midwesterner here. I have always said barn or yard when referring to a stable/equestrian center. In my world, a farm is where you grow something-- crops, animals for consumption, etc. A ranch is something they have out west.

Barn. Only problem is sometimes people think I'm going to the bar, or that I have bar work to do.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Barn. Only problem is sometimes people think I'm going to the bar, or that I have bar work to do.
    Barn. Back in my restaurant days I worked a split shift on Thursdays. I had 4 hours in between and would go ride. I always said "See y'all later, I'm going to the barn!", went and rode, and came back at 4. After a year or so, one of the guys at the bar asked me how it was I managed to behave so soberly when I went to the bar for hours every Thursday. *sigh*
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Barn, or possibly just "the horse," as in "out to see the horse."

To me, a ranch raises livestock (cattle, bison, sheep, whatever) and a farm raises vegetables/fruit (corn, soy, potato, etc). Though I'd be more inclined to think of where the horse lives as a farm than a ranch. I don't really think of ranches existing in the mid-Atlantic!