The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking to rent a 2 horse trailer in MI--Grand Rapids, Caledonia area

I have a young horse who needs to get out and see the world, but I don't have access to a trailer. Does anyone have a two horse they'd be willing to rent In West Mich, close to GR, Byron Center, Caledonia or thereabouts? My friend and I want to attend a Glass-ed show on 6/22 and can't find a ride, though we do have a truck.

If the 6/22 date doesn't work, she and I will be need a trailer at other times over this summer, too, so if you have one to rent, PM me.

If not, is there another place on the web where I might find this?

On a different, but related note: My horse is in desperate need of getting off the farm. So, if anyone keeps horses near Caledonia (Green lake) and is traveling to a show, clinic, lesson etc and has an extra space on the trailer, Eragon and I would love to come along for the experience! I would of course help pay for gas, whatever you think is fair! He just needs to ride on a trailer and see new sights. He loads well and is 15'1. Again, PM if interested.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

If you plan to travel a lot, and you have a buddy who is also trailer free, have you considered purchasing an inexpensive trailer? You can find something like a calico for around $6k brand new, and it sounds like you have a friend who'd be willing to pay gas, so you might be able to do this pretty inexpensively.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto re: find yourself a cheap trailer...

There are (in my experience) only a scant few businesses which rent horse trailers, and I honestly can't think of a single person I know who owns a trailer, at least one in good, safe condition, who would be willing to rent it out to a complete stranger. Heck, most of the trailer owners I know wouldn't haul a stranger's horse in their own trailer even if they themselves were the ones doing the hauling-- there's just way too much risk for a poor hauler (horse OR owner, lol) to trash said trailer.

You can pay a commercial hauler to do the hauling for you; there are people who do this locally as well as nationally. Expect to pay dearly for the privilege; $2/mile wouldn't be out of the question, possibly more.

I'm in a similar position as you; I have a truck but (had) no trailer. I actually had made arrangements to rent one from an equipment rental facility this summer (to the tune of $175/weekend), but a few weeks ago I got a call from them telling me they had decided to sell the trailer, so they had to cancel my reservation. (Good thing I hadn't sent in any entry fees!)

Anyway, if you don't mind investing in some sweat equity, you can probably find a fixer-upper trailer and get yourself mobile for what you'd spend in rental and/or hauling fees for multiple trips over the summer.

I picked up a used Arndt 2H BP last month for $550; I'm in the process of rehabbing it right now, and I'm estimating I'll have a total of $2k in it before it's ready to go. And I'm DIY'ing almost all of it... Horse friends are helping me with the sanding/painting, I'm bartering mechanical work with a gearhead neighbor, etc.

And with all the work I'm putting into it, even though it's not a "nice" trailer, there is NO WAY I would loan it out to anyone-- not unless they gave me its full replacement value in a cash deposit!!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

1 members found this post helpful.

there is somebody who regularly advertises a horse trailer for rent in the farm + garden section of the GR craigslist.

There are loads of inexpensive trailers in the West Michigan Area.
    Get you own, you will be much happier, Generally people do not like to loan out their trailers!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.