The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

He's supposed to be 3/4 TB 1/4 draft, but he looks like a QH to me...
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

With a pulled mane, and cleaned up, he's be really cute. Love his hind end. I bet he would jump really cute.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

He def looks like a qh to me too...but who could know! I like him! He is super cute! Finish him out and someone could have a really nice guy! Do It!!!!!
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

With the bone and the feathers, I vote for the draft cross. Heck, that's about what a qh is, anyway, at least raw-material-wise. It's a good thing you found him first ...

(don't get me wrong, I'm a QH person!)
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I have a mare that looks a bit like that. Same thing, cross of some sort (I like to guess Clyde/Hackney), has a few quirks but was cheap and is safe. Not very athletic which sometimes I regret, and finer boned than that guy. He may very well turn out to be a gem. Hard to turn down.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Dapples. I see dapples in the future. Is he home yet?

He's far cuter than one would expect. He needs a far better future than sitting around in a pasture. Make him a useful citizen.

No, not yet. I just got off the phone with the current owner. She said she would love for me to take him. However I really want a trial of some sort because he has some issues under saddle I would like to work with a bit before I commit to him.
    Apparently a rescue might take him, and if not I can do a trial on him. She'll let me know tomorrow or Thursday. I'm fairly sure I will be keeping him though, unless he is a complete nut (which he didn't seem to be!)

Oh! Oh! I need to try to think of a new name for him. Beau is definitely not my favorite.
    come what may

He is SO cute! Congrats on acquiring your new "free" horse I bet once you get him going well, you will find it hard to part with him. He is quite a looker!! I loff his face.

He is ADORABLE! Goodness... and I agree... DAPPLES!

Thanks guys! He's not mine yet, I do have some reservations about taking him.

He has a bit of a bad attitude under saddle. He was a perfect gentleman for me, but has popped up and thrown a bit of a temper tantrum a few times with his current owner. When he says "no" he stops and refuses to move forward. The harder you push the more he resists, until finally he rears. He refused to move forward when my friend rode him...as in would not even walk. But like I said he was a gentleman for me. Moved forward without a fuss (although admittedly I did have to push him) and once I got him trotting he was nice and forward with a good rhythm and soft mouth. It was also hard to really gauge him because I had all of 15 minutes with him in a grass round pen after we got over 3 inches of rain.

He's just so darn cute though, and really just acted super green under saddle, not bad, just...green.

I got a good gut feeling from him as soon as I saw him though, and the last time I got a horse based off of gut instinct I ended up with my dream horse.
    come what may

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

He's super cute! I think more QH than DraftX too, for what my opinion is worth lol.

If you can keep him fairly cheaply (i.e at home rather than boarding), and have the financial resources/experience/time/access to a trainer, then why not? Either you find your 2nd dream horse or you get him to a place where you do a "quick flip" and maybe even make some extra $$.

ETA: I know a lot of people are put off by rearers. I think if you can pinpoint *why* the horse is rearing then you have something to work with. It sounds like this horse may have been ridden by one too many not so experienced riders and been backed into a figurative corner he feels he cant get out of, if that makes sense. I'd think that would be something an experienced rider especially working with a trainer could solve. Obviously this is a total armchair opinion so...there you go. lol.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not really put off because he's gone up a few times. He's a spoiled greenie, it's just what happens sometimes. I'm just concerned that he will get worse with work and resist more. But he seems to have a work ethic so that is good!

I'm excited to take him on.
    come what may

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep he's cute. He does look spoiled. I bet he just needs someone with a nice but firm hand to suggest he does it your way.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I'm not really put off because he's gone up a few times. He's a spoiled greenie, it's just what happens sometimes. I'm just concerned that he will get worse with work and resist more. But he seems to have a work ethic so that is good!

I'm excited to take him on.

sounds like proper ground work wasn't done.I'd bet he isn't the best on the ground either...maybe pushy, disrespectful? Go back to square one. Then I'd be sure the saddle fits...he looks to be wide backed. Yes, I would have guessed draftX - cute, solid I think they pop up because they can't or don't think they can go forward. ground work, 'games' and trust and I think you've found a gem. Sounds like a trial would be a win-win situation. Give him a chance. Unfortunately many rescues don't have time, resources, knowledge to train and many horses just end up pasture pets

He's cute, But he reminds me of a QH I trained for someone years ago.
    What a stubborn Pistol, And had an attitude to boot.
    He had been spoiled rotten by owner who was afraid of him, and Never made to work, his idea of work was being groomed. LOL
    But if you like him, he is cute, and have to time and the inclination. Go for it!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Omg, okay breathe. I'm getting him!!!!!!!

This is the first time I've ever taken on a project that is mine. I've ridden plenty of problem horses, fixed lots of training issues, but this is the first time the horse will actually be mine. I'm super excited but also really nervous. I have a month to work with him before I have to make a commitment. I really want to do right by this guy, I think he could turn out to be a great horse given the time and commitment. His owner was making me sad today, she basically said I was his last chance before she put him down. It kind of surprised me, he definitely isn't a "last chance" horse, his behavior is pushy, spoiled, and he shuts down sometimes, but definitely not last chance dangerous.

So Friday is the tentative move date, fingers crossed he works out!
    come what may

5 members found this post helpful.

Congrats, he's adorable!!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Congratulations!! Good for you, and for him. Some of the best horses I have had the pleasure to have were plain janes on unknown heritage. Sounds like with some consistency and a solid game plan, he may just be one of those once-in-a-lifers. Good luck.

Oh, and he is super cute!
    Ulysses- the most perfect all-terrain vehicle ever. Hencho en Mexico

Mr. Walter Bumblepants - Foster Dog Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I have a month to work with him before I have to make a commitment. I really want to do right by this guy, I think he could turn out to be a great horse given the time and commitment. His owner was making me sad today, she basically said I was his last chance before she put him down. It kind of surprised me, he definitely isn't a "last chance" horse, his behavior is pushy, spoiled, and he shuts down sometimes, but definitely not last chance dangerous.
    Well then it's good you are trying him out. That behaviour can make them a last chance horse for some people, so lucky for him you happened along. Looking forward to hearing the progress.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."