The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not me riding her. I was taking pictures. Not my saddle either. Pixi is an easy to fit horse, at least right now she is, so my trainer uses her own saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    My mustang's first job was this (he's the dun)

Now he does this.
    Nice! I have to think he prefers the footing in his current situation!

I just recently saw the documentary Wild Horse, Wild Ride, about people who take mustangs and train them for 100 days, then enter a contest to show what the horses can do. It was pretty amazing.

OP, are you still in Hawaii? Do they have many events there? Just curious about the horse scene.

I am still in Hawaii. We don't really have any events, though there is a little cross country course at the ranch here. Pony club uses it for their annual camp. There is a nice little hunter scene, nothing too crazy, but they have a little local association. Lots of other stuff too, a dressage association that hosts a summer series, ranch sorting and a western series for the more cowboy inclined. They even have a few little jumper shows. I love the close knit feel here in Hawaii, everyone knows each other and it seems they are always happy to lend a hand.

I am only here for another year and a half however. After that its back to the mainland. Probably the DC area, maybe Monterey, CA if I am really lucky. Middle of nowhere west Texas if I'm really unlucky. (Unless I can work some sort of deal to stay here longer, but that's unlikely. Work wants me to broaden my horizons, and it does that by moving me.).

^ Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I do remember an episode of Magnum, PI that involved a jumper that did the Grand Prix, but that's the most I've seen of horse shows in Hawaii.

One of my brothers lived there for a while, but I didn't get around to visiting him while he was there. I do remember the quarantine process was very involved for his dog, so I'm sure it was at least as serious for a horse.

It's actually worse for a dog or cat then it is for a horse. Horses are pretty simple. Health certificate and coggins to get on the boat, with the addition of a hosed down with a permethrin based spray. Another coggins gets pulled at the quarantine processing facility, the horse is then picked up that day and taken to the barn/ranch/stable of your choice. You either have to fly spray them wth a permethrin based spray daily or keep them a certain distance away from other horses. I think it's 200 meters. The spot I kept her in was well over that, but it was located on the same ranch she's on now. After 45 days you pull a third coggins and your good to go.

Really? That does sound much more simple. My brother's dog had to stay in a quarantine facility for quite some time. I don't remember the exact details, but it seemed like forever when I heard about it.