The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adopting a mustang, one year later

Some of you may remember that I adopted a mustang from the BLM a year ago. It's been a crazy road, and one that I didn't get to enjoy as much as I would have liked. Unfortunately work decided I needed to spend a few months in Afghanistan. Getting her to Hawaii, dealing with all the arrangements before I left, it was all hectic, but all worth it. Tomorrow the vet comes out to sign my title paperwork. She'll be all mine soon.

I was lucky enough to find someone willing to take their time to work with Pixel slowly and at her pace. She's done wonderful while I was gone and while she is still jumpy and baby-ish she has come along nicely.

I'm having a blast working with her on the typical baby stuff. Such as, the "there are no tigers living in trail around the pond" exercise and the ever popular, "swimming in the ocean is fun" exercise. She's taken to the second one rather well, especially when accompanied by her personal babysitter, a 25 year old TB gelding.

She's grown an inch and a half in the 6 months since I left and is now right at 14.2, about 2 1/2 inches taller than she was when I got her. Most folks at my ranch were sure she would stay a pony, guess not.

And, of course, I have pictures.

Pixel Slideshow

4 members found this post helpful.

She is beautiful!
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

And not only that, it's always very instructive to see the conformation that NATURE selects for them; you really can't fault her anywhere!

Good luck with her, she's adorable!

3 members found this post helpful.

Glad things are working out so well.

she is super cute!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

1 members found this post helpful.

She looks great! Congrats to you

She's very cute!! Nice work!!

The first mustang I had was a bay roan also, love that color. Do you know what herd she's from? She's really lovely. Love that nice long stride. Good luck with her!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

love her color and build! And how can you tease us, where are the swimming in hawaii pictures?!! If you haven't seen them you MUST check out these awesome videos on working with Mustangs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpyrD...IJkc6jMrjoGZr2
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

She is adorable and it is very kind of you to give her such a great home. It will be fun to watch her progress, so please keep us updated.

She's from the stinkingwater HMA in Oregon. While I would normally say that nature had help from the BLM in choosing her conformation, but SW hadn't been rounded up in 20 years before the 2010 gather. SW horses have a strong draft influence and many of them are roans.

Unfortunately my camera doesn't have a waterproof housing so no beach pictures, yet.

She looks great! Do you have a couple of "before" pics of her?

Great job! How was the trip for her to get to Hawaii?

I, too, have a mustang, and love him to pieces. No, not necessarily easy but very rewarding!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

i love her colors. Good luck with her

SO cute!
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

She is super cute! How old is she? What are your plans for her?

If I had the trip to Hawaii to do over again I would have waited another 3 months. She was only about 100 days out of the wild when I moved her and was fine when being handled by folks who knew what they were doing. The problem came when she was handled by the not so horse savvy folks at the quarantine facility here in Hawaii. She had to come off the boat and have a coggins pulled and they managed to upset her to the point of flipping over and breaking her halter. When the shipper picked her up from the facility she said she found the poor girl in a squeeze shoot and frightened. The people at the facility told her the horse was crazy and a killer. Thank goodness she knows what she's doing. She got my girl calmed down and on the trailer without any fuss. Lesson learned, without any lasting damage, thank goodness.

Not sure what you mean by before and after picks. She looks pretty much the same now as she did when I adopted her. Well, she was a bit fatter at the blm pens. Eating all day with little exercise will do that. She had a "valley" running down her spine because her hindquarters were so, "fluffy". She is less fluffy now.

I'm not 100% sure just what I will be doing with her. I'm going with a bit of a wait and see approach. If she likes to jump and does so with reasonable athleticism and safety I would like to play round with eventing. She would make a lovely hunter, nice flat movement with a long stride, but I worry she will have to move out to make the step. Basically she's my "that sounds like fun" horse. Going to see what she likes and excels at and have fun. She is 3 now so we have lots of time to work on the basics of being a riding horse before I have to pick a direction.
    Last edited by Twisting; Jun. 16, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

I was thinking the same thing...how perfectly nature works out. She's beautiful. I love the 3rd picture..making a face with the hay in her mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    And not only that, it's always very instructive to see the conformation that NATURE selects for them; you really can't fault her anywhere!

Good luck with her, she's adorable!
    Ride like you mean it.

Mustangs are fun and can do a lot! There was just "Mustang Days" in Napa whereby the BLM brought 40 or so horses down to be auctioned off. Don't know how many were sold, but when I was there yesterday maybe 10-15 had been purchased/adopted. There were some really good-looking ones there, some burros, too!

My mustang's first job was this (he's the dun)

Now he does this.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

1 members found this post helpful.

She looks just like my first pony who was also a roan. She didn't know much but was very gentle and loving. I love her kind and trusting eye and think she will be a lovely horse for you.

You have a beautiful seat and quiet hands but I'm wondering- does your saddle have a" balanced seat." I mean are the stirrups positioned so you can stand up in your stirrups without having to hitch yourself forward?
    The saddle seems to position your legs way out in front of you, where it would be a struggle to post or get in a two point position without having to swing your legs back under. Just curious. My first serious trainer was a western guy named Monte Foreman who developed the first balanced seat western saddle. So comfortable. Are you comfortable posting in your saddle? Thanks for the info.