The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoes View Post
    One of DD friend's did an ear fix that was on your website LOL, go back and see if you can find it Was a Susie show mom pic, did not steal......was obvious to me but, still made the pic look better on the internet
    I can usually spot 'em, and the bad ones irk me to no end as they seem so noticeable. But haven't seen a glaringly bad one recently... if this one was recent or otherwise unnoticeable then kudos to them!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

How have pricing structures changed since the switch to digital? I would assume it would be cheaper for the pros since the move to digital as they aren't spending money on a lot of worthless shots taking up space on film. Also don't have to store negatives, print proof sheets, mail proof sheets, etc. I gather that the upfront cost may be higher b/c of the computers, editing programs, cards, cameras but the upkeep and running would be less expensive than film, negatives, processing, and printing.

Also, I completely understand not posting photos online because of the thefts but it does make it very hard when you have to choose right then and there which photos you want. I like time to look at them, get some others opinions, and then choose. Wish there was an option to have a proof sheet sent out if photogs don't want to post proofs online.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    How have pricing structures changed since the switch to digital? I would assume it would be cheaper for the pros since the move to digital as they aren't spending money on a lot of worthless shots taking up space on film. Also don't have to store negatives, print proof sheets, mail proof sheets, etc. I gather that the upfront cost may be higher b/c of the computers, editing programs, cards, cameras but the upkeep and running would be less expensive than film, negatives, processing, and printing.
    The biggest difference for is time. Yes, it is costly to send out film for developing and printing of proofs. But, at the end of a show day shooting film, in most cases, you drop off all of your film at a lab and pick up your proof sheets.

With digital, you spend hours upon hours uploading, editing, cropping, sorting by rider number, etc, you've invested so much more in time to make digital proofs available that the cost becomes time and skill (and retouching is a whole 'nother skill set) verus output expense. A two day show takes me another 2-3 days to edit and upload. Computers and editing programs are not cheap. Photoshop is a $700 + program alone. High end film cameras were no where near as expensive as high end digital cameras are. While you don't have to store proofs and negatives - when you did - a filing cabinet is a much cheaper alternative to hard drives (and of course back up drives and back up systems). Computer programs require updating (usually yearly). Software, cameras, computers, etc, all still require maintenance and updating/upgrading on a fairly regular basis.

If you don't post your proofs online due to theft, you also have the expense of having the trailer equipped with viewing stations, and either having a software system in place to sort and load images as they come in, or an employee doing that manually.

When you know the timing, angles, light, and how to work your camera (some of us professionals actually even have our degrees in photography!), you have a lot less of the worthless shots taking up space either way.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

I only read the first few pages so this may have been mentioned, but the main photographer in LA doesn't even have a website -- you can only go into their trailer and look at the pictures on their laptops and buy there. Kind of sucks if you aren't sure if you want the picture or not and want to decide later or get someones opinion who isn't at the show. There's a digital option that I can't remember off the top of my head.

In regards to digital rights...If they allowed images for personal social media use ONLY (not farm websites/for sale ads etc) they would cut down stealing a LOT since it seems to be non-pros who are doing the picture jacking. $X for X number of pictures and they send them "low quality" so say 75dpi and a quarter of the size so if they try to make it bigger it just pixelates (web designer here so sorry if I'm being too technical lol). It's better than getting NO money for them and chasing after kids who will just play the naiveté card and take the pictures down until next time. If they want them for more than personal use, up the price.

Businesses are going to have to change the way they run their companies due to the online era. It may not be "fair" but saying so isn't going to change anything.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

I was thinking on the instant gratification and the justification given for stealing the photos of wanting to share a new horse show experience.
    Having to wait for your legally purchased digital photos to arrive does not deprive you of your ability to share your new accomplishment online with your friends, it gives you the opportunity to brag about it twice.
    First time you post the story with words and no photos. A good post about you and Dobbin doing your first rated show, how great Dobbin was and include a comment about pictures have been ordered will post when they arrive.
    When the photos do arrive you can start all over and have your friends drooling once again.

1 members found this post helpful.